Photo

I now present to you, an Autopatcher Replacement

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#91 72001

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:41

I dont' have any Idea really. But seeing how all you need is the self extracting zip file and not the script anymore. You can just go to windows update. Have it list all the updates to download, then open the self extracting exe on the file server and extract it to c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download and then proceed with the install. MOST of the updates should already be there ,and won't have to be downloaded.

Also thank you for the personal message letting me know you responded to the thread. As I don't get updated via Email on this thread for what ever reason.

The hell with everyone that thinks this is stupid or worthless... you did the best you could by simply empowering other users with the knowledge of this method for free and it seems they returned your attempt at passing somthing on with greif rather then thanks.

Until we can raise enough money to buy enough copies of Bambi to distribute to the big kids we have running around here I will sum up the lesson that watching that movie would teach you...

"If you don't have somthing nice to say... Don't say anything at all"

Constructive critism aside obviously but I see no one here has even offered you that. I think this was hampered because you didn't have a neat GUI and a cool Installer and it was really slim and not at all bloated. So in turn everyone here decided to cry about how useless this was....

Well here is what I have to say:

I think this is a realy cool script.

Being a programmer here are several ways this project can be updated to be more useful:

Have a .xml file in the root "update" directory along with all the updates to install.

XML File would contain the filename and the MD5 if you wish.

Use this XML file to query MS and return the description of what the update will do in either a tool tip or short text and verify the md5.

Have a checkbox next to each update in the list, updates which are not checked are not added to the Self Extracting Archive.(Obviously a select all / deselect all button)

Code to make the extracting archive dynamically can be found free here:

http://www.example-c...et/writeExe.asp

As a final touch you can even have a autoinst.XML which if is there will automatically package certain packages into the EXE (useful for updating multiple machines with the same patches without having to sort through a buch of check boxes)

Very very simple. The harder part would be the GUI.

If you think this might be useful I would even meet you half way and write the code for the logic and GUI if you build the interface in Visual Studio (Any .NET Language or C++)

Good Job!!! and remember some people need to be ###### to sleep better at night... don't take it personal.

#92 72001

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:54

Hey Warwagon great script but I was wondering if you know how to do a few specific tweaks to it. I have a file server where I've downloaded all of the updates to and I want to point Windows Update to that folder on the mapped drive. I tried using WSUS and it's a giant sack of resource sucking garbage :D . I am pretty sure this is possible, but I've scoured the net and haven't been able to find anything helpful. Also, I'm hoping to be able to avoid zipping the file if possible. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

1. Create a share on the file server with the files to be copied.

2. Modify the batch script to copy from the share to %WINDIR%\softwaredistribution\download.

That should take care of that.

#93 Fullcirclephoenix

Fullcirclephoenix

Neowinian

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:27

1. Create a share on the file server with the files to be copied.

2. Modify the batch script to copy from the share to %WINDIR%\softwaredistribution\download.

That should take care of that.

Absolutely would work and thanks for the feedback. I also think WarWagon's original script is pretty awesome. That being said, since I have 8 computers to maintain, getting Windows Update to look at a share drive would be that much better for me. Luckily, I may have found a way to do so by creating a junction (aka symbolic link) that should fool Windows into thinking the the "c:\windows\softwaredistribution" folders are still on C: when they are actually on the file server.

Haven't tested this yet, but I'll post an update and provide the instructions if it works. :D

#94 Fullcirclephoenix

Fullcirclephoenix

Neowinian

Posted 27 March 2008 - 17:45

Yeah that didn't work very well. Can only junction a local folder to another in NTFS, can't use network paths. So that kind of derails my attempt.

#95 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:49

I've made a video demonstrating the process I go through with my new method