VMWare and Windows 3.1x

Question

I have been messing around with virtual machines lately, and I thought it'd be nice to get Windows 3.1x running on one. The problem is, I didn't build my computer with a floppy drive. There is, however, a copy of contents of the MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 disks on a networked computer. I transferred them over to mine and made an .img out of it (.flp or .img for vmware's 'floppy' drive.)

Anyway, I boot up using Disk1.img of MS-DOS 6.22 and it wants me to insert Setup Disk #1 and strike enter. I strike enter, since Disk 1 is "in the drive" but it asks me to insert again. That's as far as I've gotten.

Maybe I'm going the complete wrong direction.

Here's some facts that may help. The computer that is next to me does have a floppy drive in it, which is where I got the DOS and Windows 3.1x disk contents from. I could use it if needed.

I'm using the latest VMWare Server. I have a .vmx and .vmdk created via the VMWare "New Virtual Machine" wizard.

Edit: Nevermind, got it working. A user from a different forum which I frequent more suggested to go through the initial MS-DOS bootup, exit the Setup to go back to a prompt, then fdisk and format, and go back and continue the setup like before.

Edited by DevgruSeal

1 answer to this question

I have been messing around with virtual machines lately, and I thought it'd be nice to get Windows 3.1x running on one.

why not go all out and get Windows 1 going :)

post-76082-1193818493_thumb.jpg