Kid Gets Detention for Using FireFox

Question

Hmm...i work in a very big IT company....and we arent allowed to use Firefox. And even if we install it, firefall doesnt allow the program to open any websites :-)

note :we use with ie7....when we asked for the reason, we got reply back saying that most of our company apps are build upon IE schema...& its a trusted product from microsoft & if at all we face some issues, tech consulting team from MS will fix it within 3 hrs!! & other browser organizations doesnt due that...maybe once firefox starts quick supports & fixes, our company may allow it in future...but i think thats gonna never happen :-)

Exactly! It is the same where I work and I'm asuming pretty much any company that has some sort of corporate IT infrastructure. A lot of apps just don't work (aren't internally developed) for firefox oh yeah and IE can be completey controlled through AD, which is obviously a must. Even if this isn't fake, which I highly doubt, big whoop. I use ff at home and IE at work. get over it.

lol.

Have used firefox loads on school PC's. Well, till my USB pen drive broke anyway. Let's me get access to banned sites (which include the oxford uni website among others) and is much faster loading than IE on the school network (for whatever reason).

Then they really setup their network well NOT.

Filtering should be done at the proxy/gateway NOT on the local computer, direct web traffic should be disallowed.

my friend worked at a high school that actually classified firefox as a security risk and any student caught using it would be get in trouble. he only worked there for one day.. apparently everyone there was a ****ing idiot.

my friend worked at a high school that actually classified firefox as a security risk and any student caught using it would be get in trouble. he only worked there for one day.. apparently everyone there was a ****ing idiot.

The highschool had every right to classify it as a risk. If I owned a bunch of computers and was in charge of them I would do this also. In a highschool you should only be using the programs that are on the computer anyway, they aren't there for loading the programs that you personally prefer, thats what home is for.

Haha and why are some of you loading firfox onto flash drives to use it? Is it really that big of a deal? What can firefox do on the internet that IE cannot? Besides all you should be doing on school computers is studying or writing papers so I do not see the use? Also when I was in highschool, I would think that someone that did this would be considered quite the nerd. :p

Edited by PricklyPoo

Not browser related but one of my friends booted one of the school computer from his USB which had Linux on it, it let him access all the files on the network of the system, so he could see the name and address of every pupil etc.. This is probably just the bad security at my school, but i can see why schools might take something like this seriously :) It was funny though...

I find that very unlikely unless the IT are idoits because:

1)you would need to authenticate onto the server

2)still need read/write access to the drives

3)you would only get your normal rights

lol. I think it's understandable though, if the teacher's dumb and knows absolutely nothing about computers.

I love at the end how it says "detentions not served will be served Saturday 8am-11am."

Screw you!! I would NEVER, EVER go to a detention on a Saturday like that!

I find that very unlikely unless the IT are idoits because:

1)you would need to authenticate onto the server

2)still need read/write access to the drives

3)you would only get your normal rights

My high school had an odd setup, if you went to the right server you could see the home folder of every student, couldn't read or write though.

One of the TAFE's I went too was the same, I plugged my laptop in (which I found out after I left, would have gotten me in serious trouble) and could browse the entire network.

I've also upgraded DirectX and installed drivers on other school systems, I've had some odd setups

"Only in America!"

and shes in the technology department.

That could be the kind of "technology" that isn't to do with computers. The draw/saw/solder/cook department. Actually, it probably is.

Me and Slimy knew it. The FoxFire and just the different colors in the letter gave it away. 1 star thread...

Wow, you want a medal ?

noticehow very few seemed to assumed it was real, instead he discussion has been about how this would actually have ben a legitimate reason for punsihment/detention.