I am gonna give Red Hat ago

Firstly I'd say at least have a reason to try it... Just be forewarned tho, its not as good as people make out. It does crash and some programs can be unstable. There are fustrating things about it, like lack of decent programs for tasks or having many programs to do 1 job but none of them are particularly brilliant.

Its good as a server tho :)

the best tip would be to RTFM.

.. welcome to the linux world, prepare to be blown away! :D

Yeah use man (and man -k) and google to find answers before asking....

And also, I agree be prepared to be blown away, far away, then realise that Windows is a lot better for multimedia stuff and games...

No, you don't have to format, XP and RH can co-exist, the only thing you need to do is prepare partitions for it prior to installation. Then to install, you boot from disc one..

Not really, the new RedHat has autopartitioning which does everything automatically, you can choose to delete all windows/linux partitions or have it create partitions from free space (unused partitions).

you probably never set your computer to boot to cd first and it probably is just booting right off the hard drive...

oh yea, you do this by changing the boot settings in your bios.

right, i put cd1 in and restart pc and omg, it wont work, instead it boots up my comp very slow and suddenly vomes to the desktop, why is this :cry:

To the XP desktop? If so, make sure you have the cd booting before the HDD in your bios.