i'm done with linux...

linux is just driving me crazy...........

i've installed rh8 thousands of time already because everytime something goes wrong and i can't fix it...............

most of the time its the graphics driver....

i tried ati 9700pro on my new computer, or the nvidia tnt2 of my old pc.....

they never work....!!!

it always ends up in fatal error when i try to start x windows.... so the only solution is to re-install linux only so that i'll have to play around with the drivers.......... :angry:

i want to here some of your experiences....how do you guys deal with these situations....?

i go to linux specific sites and ask for help! There is one out there where you ask a question and within 10 minutes or so i usually had 3 or 4 answers! I can't remember it though... someone here will know.

try :

www.linux.com

www.linux.org

www.linuxhelp.org

linux is just driving me crazy...........

i've installed rh8 thousands of time already because everytime something goes wrong and i can't fix it...............

most of the time its the graphics driver....

i tried ati 9700pro on my new computer, or the nvidia tnt2 of my old pc.....

they never work....!!!

it always ends up in fatal error when i try to start x windows.... so the only solution is to re-install linux only so that i'll have to play around with the drivers.......... :angry:

i want to here some of your experiences....how do  you guys deal with these situations....?

I have an 8500 and only Red Hat, Mandrake, and SuSE will install the correct drivers without a problem, and, only Red Hat will install in Graphical mode :x

If you have the latest / greatest in video cards, then, you're going to have difficulty in getting support for Linux. Flawless (more or less) support for your 9700pro should be there in about a year. Sorry, but, that's the way it currently works :whistle:

One of these days the Linux desktop will be ready for prime time, but i'm afraid, not quit yet :no:

Oh... I've been told that when Mandrake 9.1 gets to Beta 4, it should be reasonably stable and have the latest ATI drivers :yes: As for Red Hat, I don't know :unsure:

Edited by jimf43

I never got my Radeon 7200 to run under Linux properly, so I ended up ditching it and upgrading to a Creative Ti4400.. the nVidia drivers for Linux are excellent, and they work like a charm for me.

One thing I have learned about Linux over the years is that you need to be bloody patient... :(

Are you using the firegl drivers, the gatos drivers, or the dri drivers?

The firegl drivers will cause an x-server error unless you load their modules, and run fglrxconfig (without running xf86config). Also enable X support in kernel but don't make any modules for specific cards. Ati makes really poopty drivers but they won't disclose any technical info that others would need for solid video and 3d acceleraion.

same here iomayho, I'm tired of it also, since I cannot run games, or anything 3d, bc the drivers for my 9000 pro wont work!, I've tried countless times to install them but always failed to work properly, thats why I dont really use Linux anymore, just tired of not being able to have 3d acceleration.