Problem opening movies...

I have this weird problem. If I open WMP (Windows Media Player) and open a file from there (in the this case a .avi file). It will play just fine. No problems with sound or anything.

Now, if I goto the directory in an explorer window and double click the file to open it...it does nothing. Nothing opens, no errors, nothing. I have went to the "default programs" and made sure that WMP is the default player for that file type, but still nothing.

Now if i click play at the top of the explorer window when a movie file is selected the drop down list pops up and I get a choice of players (Winamp, 2 versions of WMP (guessing one is x86 and one is x64), Quicktime, and PowerDVD). If i click WMP i get this error:

File System Error (-1072884953)

What is the problem? I am a nit picky person and I like to be able to double click the file and have it open in the program it's supposed to. I always have an explorer window open so I can navigate where ever I want to.

Does anyone know a fix to this? I tried to reinstall WMP11, but it said that I have a newer version and it won't let me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, this is a fresh reformat because of another problem that I had which caused me to reformat.

C:\>errsay -1072884953

Error Number: 3222082343 (0xC00D1327)

Symbolic Name: NS_E_CURL_INVALIDPATH

Text description: The URL contains a path that is not valid.

So that's that error.

It sounds like the local file associations are broken. What's a file type that you want to play back? Assuming AVI, what are the values under

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi

? What about under

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.avi

?

Hello,

Window Vista family prenium x 86 32 bits

I have ecxatly tjhe same problem that "echo"

Play "chkdsk" result : no error detected

Verefied register like "zachdms" all is ok

in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi : 000

in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.avi : 000

idem for other files of WMP

No reponse find in Window Vista Support and Window Media player support...

Please help me and "echo".

Thank you

I already tried that. I've researched this over and over and the only guy i found who fixed it ended up reformatting, but i just reformatted and i really don't wanna go through it again. So i'm hoping someone has a fix to this.

If anyone knows how to uninstall windows media player 11 so i can reinstall it.....i think it might fix it, but as far as i've looked there is no uninstall.

xiphi: Yeah, I wrote that functionality, but it wouldn't do anything for this issue. That just switches the bitness of the used player.

AMID: No, that's actually *not* a correct set of entries. If that really is what your entries look like, that's your problem: those are broken. You could go to the Default Programs control panel and use the Set Program Access and Defaults control panel to reassociate AVI to WMP and then it should work.

echo: Those registry entries are the key starting point. I designed and wrote most of this - if you could answer my specific questions, that would probably move you forward more so than anything else you could possibly do.

There definitely is no uninstall/reinstall possible here. You can only reinstall WMP through reinstalling Vista. But the file associations are handled in OS upgrade on a passive basis, so that wouldn't necessarily do what you want it to. (This is a limitation of the CBS implementation of Vista, it's not WMP-specific, so let's not derail on that topic.)

Hello every body and "zachdms"

Window media Player is my player by default

.avi is associated with WMP

I also say this information :

When my WMP is open then i double click on a file .avi it's OK.

But when WMP is'nt open the double click don't open WMP without messsages of error.

Thank you for your help ....

:rolleyes:

echo: Those registry entries are the key starting point. I designed and wrote most of this - if you could answer my specific questions, that would probably move you forward more so than anything else you could possibly do.

ok, let's start there. What specific values do you want?

in <b>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi</b> it's

default: WMP11.AssocFile.AVI

content type: video/avi

perceived type: video

in <b>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.avi</b>

default: video clip

edit flags: 00 00 01 00

FriendlyTypeName: @%SystemRoot%\system32\unregmp2.exe,-9905

PreferExecuteOnMismatch: 0x00000001 (1)

the error isn't just .avi specific. it's with any video file i have associated with WMP11 not opening when i double click from an explorer window. Someone sent me one of those stupid funny emails from work with a video attached. Now if i double click that from outlook, it opens WMP11 and the file starts to play. If i save the SAME file and try and double click from an explorer window it does NOTHING! if i right click and goto open with and select WMP11 it gives me the error.

ok, let's start there. What specific values do you want?

in <b>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi</b> it's

default: WMP11.AssocFile.AVI

content type: video/avi

perceived type: video

in <b>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.avi</b>

default: video clip

edit flags: 00 00 01 00

FriendlyTypeName: @%SystemRoot%\system32\unregmp2.exe,-9905

PreferExecuteOnMismatch: 0x00000001 (1)

the error isn't just .avi specific. it's with any video file i have associated with WMP11 not opening when i double click from an explorer window. Someone sent me one of those stupid funny emails from work with a video attached. Now if i double click that from outlook, it opens WMP11 and the file starts to play. If i save the SAME file and try and double click from an explorer window it does NOTHING! if i right click and goto open with and select WMP11 it gives me the error.

Hello,

After control my register, i have the same type of files that "echo" for all files of WMP11

The default of fonctionnement is the same that "echo"

The value of register it isn't OK or good? Wath value is OK for good fonction?

The default come of WMP11 or Explorer

Thank you for your help please.

If i some responds i take you on this forum.

Bye and thank you.

Edited by AMIDUNET

echo: What are the entirety of the keys under:

===

==

? You can export that out to a file in regedit and paste it pretty easily. :)

echo: What are the entirety of the keys under:

===

==

? You can export that out to a file in regedit and paste it pretty easily. :)

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI

Class Name: <NO CLASS>

Last Write Time: 11/2/2006 - 10:28 AM

Value 0

Name: <NO NAME>

Type: REG_SZ

Data: Video Clip

Value 1

Name: EditFlags

Type: REG_BINARY

Data:

00000000 00 00 01 00 ....

Value 2

Name: FriendlyTypeName

Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ

Data: @%SystemRoot%\system32\unregmp2.exe,-9905

Value 3

Name: PreferExecuteOnMismatch

Type: REG_DWORD

Data: 0x1

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\DefaultIcon

Last Write Time: 1/19/2008 - 10:26 AM

Value 0

Data: C:\Windows\system32\wmploc.dll,-731

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell

Last Write Time: 11/2/2006 - 10:42 AM

Value 0

Data: play

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell\open

Value 0

Name: LegacyDisable

Data:

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell\open\command

Last Write Time: 1/19/2008 - 9:55 PM

Value 0

Data: "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:8 /Open "%L"

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell\open\DropTarget

Value 0

Name: CLSID

Data: {CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}

Value 1

Name: MPlayer2.Bak

Data: {CE3FB1D1-02AE-4A5F-A6E9- D9F1B4073E6C}

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell\play

Value 0

Data: &Play

Value 1

Name: MUIVerb

Data: @%SystemRoot%\system32\unregmp2.exe,-9991

Value 2

Name: LegacyDisable

Data:

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell\play\command

Last Write Time: 1/19/2008 - 9:55 PM

Value 0

Data: "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:8 /Play "%L"

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shell\play\DropTarget

Value 0

Name: CLSID

Value 1

Name: MPlayer2.Bak

Data: {CE3FB1D1-02AE-4A5F-A6E9- D9F1B4073E6C}

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shellex

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WMPAddToPlaylist

Value 0

Data: {F1B9284F-E9DC-4e68-9D7E-42362A59F0FD}

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WMPPlayAsPlaylist

Value 0

Key Name: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.AVI\shellex\{8895b1c6-b41f-4c1c-a562-0d564250836f}

Value 0

Data: {031EE060-67BC-460d-8847-E4A7C5E45A27}

I appreciate ALL your help on this one bro! And also, i know you are asking for the .avi, but the problem applies to ANYTHING i try to open from explorer window that is associated with WMP11

Edited by echo

Hello,

I have controlled the same value of register than "echo"

My values of register are identicly the same of "echo

My probem is exactly the same of "echo"

Please tell me and "echo" more.

Thank you

OK, that makes it sound like the Play As Playlist functionality isn't working:

* Is UAC turned off, or are you running either WMP or the shell (explorer) As Admin?

* Do you have an over-agressive anti-virus/anti-spy software that might be breaking WMP's ability to create temporary files?

Hello everybody,

I think have resolved my problem, by making a restoration of my system in previous date.

This date is previous in the installation, use and the de-installation of "RegCleaner".

Now the double click on a file of WMP 11 (AUDIO or VIDEO) works once again aisi that in the explorer window.

I hope that my experience and this will serve you in the resolution of your problem.

" echo " bon courage and good luck, by hoping that it will help you.

"zachdms" I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the assistant which you brings me for the resolution of this problem.

Bye and thank you.

AMIDUMET :whistle:

OK, that makes it sound like the Play As Playlist functionality isn't working:

* Is UAC turned off, or are you running either WMP or the shell (explorer) As Admin?

* Do you have an over-agressive anti-virus/anti-spy software that might be breaking WMP's ability to create temporary files?

I have UAC turned off, but i had it turned off since day one on my first install of x64 ultimate vista and had ZERO problems. it was only when i had to reformat that I had this problem.

I don't use anti-virus programs....the firewall is off because i have a built in firewall.

RIght now i am in the middle of installing ubuntu studio to mess around with it a bit (kinda of miss linux and the *nix type OS, so this will hold me over until tax returns when a MAC Pro 8-core system will be on it's way :D)

As soon as i get done I will try the regclean. I have tried "registry mechanic" with no luck, but if you had the same problems and the same registry values as me then i bet it will fix my problem. I will post back by tomorrow night and let you know if it fixes my problem.

If it doesn't, maybe you can point me in another direction being that you asked about the UAC and stuff and i answerd it and it won't fix my problem (because i tried turning it back on to see if that was it and it wasn't).

I really appreciate everyone's help. Neowin is definately the best place to go for help. Thx again!

• 1 month later...

I just ran into a problem similar to yours where I couldn't play videos by clicking on the file. Either nothing happened or I got an error.

After much trial and error I found that for some reason the file variables contained in the Registry for the extensions were not getting resolved. For instance "%ProgramFiles%

was not resolved to "Program Files". So I just put in the full name for the entry in the Registry and viola it worked.

I have no idea why the variable doesn't work as it works with other entries and even on a command line.