Problems mounting NTFS file system

have you been to the Linux NTFS Project yet? you need to install the appropriate rpm before you can mount an NTFS partition, redhat doesnt come with out of the box support for it, and just so you know, even when it is mounted, there is only readonly support for NTFS at this time, but yeah, follow the instructions on the page and you should be mounted in no time

i tried adding the line on the /etc/fstab so that it would mount my ntfs drive on startup according to the linux NTFS project site, but then when i reboot, there is a part that says the fstab line 10 is bad..

can you guys tell me what's wrong...anyway, this is what i added....

/dev/hda1 /mnt/winXP ntfs ro, umask=0222 0 0

i tried adding the line on the /etc/fstab so that it would mount my ntfs drive on startup according to the linux NTFS project site, but then when i reboot, there is a part that says the fstab line 10 is bad..

/dev/hda1 /mnt/winXP ntfs ro, umask=0222 0 0

Does it mount ok when you do it manually?

/dev/hda1 /mnt/winXP    ntfs    ro, umask=0222                    0 0

Does it mount ok when you do it manually?

yes, it does mount with no problem when i do it manually....

Well, you could compile your own kernel to enable "Write" feature for NTFS, but since NTFS is not open source, so people tried to reverse engineer the code. Thus, it is dangerous to enable Write feature.

iomayho: change the line to the line below and make sure you add a blank line at the end of the file (press enter).

/dev/hda1 /mnt/c ntfs noauto,user,uid=500,gid=500,umask=007 0 0

one more thing before you add this...type (in normal user terminal). "username" is the username you are using

cat /etc/passwd | grep username

and that should give you an output like

username:x:500:500:realname:/home/username:/bin/bash

if you have anything different than the 500, change the fstab line that I posed accordingly.

good luck.