Xbox 360 + HDMI = No 1080p For Me?

Well, I just had my HDMI cable come into the mail. Plugged it into my Xbox 360 and then into my HDMI slot on my 42" Vizio 1080p HDTV.

When I went into the display settings, I was only allowed to set it to 720p as the "Recommended Resolution" and the max I could set it at was 1080i.

Why can't I use full 1080p with HDMI? I was able with the component cables.

Anyone else have this problem?

So what is that supposed to mean? The cabling is faulty? because I bought it off Amazon and it said supports 1080p (This is the HDMI cable I bought)

Should I send it in for replacement or something? This is the first HDMI cable I have bought so I don't know whats the problem. (Yes I sound like a little nooblet right now not knowing whats going on :p)

maybe your tv doesn't support 1080p and only accepts 720p/1080i over the hdmi, but thats unlikely... it is wierd that it worked with the component. maybe the handshake over the hdmi isn't working right. try turning on the tv, set it to the hdmi input, then turn you 360 on and try setting it again

well thats your first fault, you're paying $15 for an hdmi cable. Get Monster.

Yeah... its going to cost over $100 but you actually get... quality.

^--- you're a moron .. just as uninformed as the guy who posted this

also if your going to buy cables in the future .. buy from monoprice or bluejeanscable

Excellent cables for a great price

Edited by WolfDV

maybe your tv doesn't support 1080p and only accepts 720p/1080i over the hdmi, but thats unlikely... it is wierd that it worked with the component. maybe the handshake over the hdmi isn't working right. try turning on the tv, set it to the hdmi input, then turn you 360 on and try setting it again

^--- you're a moron .. just as uninformed as the guy who posted this

also if your going to buy cables in the future .. buy from monoprice or bluejeanscable

Excellent cables for a great price

I know my TV supports 1080p for 2 reasons.

1) It's advertised at that

2) I could play 1080p with component cables fine.

Also, I know taht pretty much there is no difference between the Monster cables and the cheap ones. An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable.

a bit off topic, anyone know how i can stream hd content through the xbox 360?

Create your own or search through the 360 forum here but please don't hijack another's topic when they aren't in similar. Thanks!

I have the 2' Monster HDMI 400 cable hooked up to my Playstation 3 and 47" Sharp Aquos LCD TV and it looks amazing! It will cost about $130 but if you're going to cheap out on the HDMI cable then you might as well throw your TV out the window. Trust me, go with Monster and you won't regret it.

I have the 2' Monster HDMI 400 cable hooked up to my Playstation 3 and 47" Sharp Aquos LCD TV and it looks amazing! It will cost about $130 but if you're going to cheap out on the HDMI cable then you might as well throw your TV out the window. Trust me, go with Monster and you won't regret it.

Here's a quote from a helpful link above about the hype behind Monster cables

A cable is a cable is a cable bro. HDMI needs to conform to a standard so all V1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 cables need to pass along the same information. Since that information is passed digitally, the signal is either sent or not sent. No offense bro, but you bought into the hype and got ripped off.

There is no way to justify paying over $100 for a cable...

What's with these people actually recommending Monster HDMI cables? It's a digital signal, it either gets to the other end or it doesn't. It's not subject to interference or whatever that can cause problems in low end analog cables.

Anybody who pays more than, say, $10-$15 for an HDMI cable is getting ripped off.

It was hilarious, I was with my dad when he bought his HDTV at Best Buy, and they were trying to get him to buy some Monster HDMI cables. I just interrupted the salesman and said that I meant no offense, but we could get cables that worked just as well for $10 at Fry's or online. Needless to say, my dad was pretty pleased that I saved him $100.

Ok please people can we be on topic? I know a cable is a cable and I know they all send the same signal. Thats why I paid $5 for mine...

Now if someone could help me with my little 1080p problem on my Xbox that would be great. Sorry to sound like a mean guy but I mean I really would like this solved... :p

Ok please people can we be on topic? I know a cable is a cable and I know they all send the same signal. Thats why I paid $5 for mine...

Now if someone could help me with my little 1080p problem on my Xbox that would be great. Sorry to sound like a mean guy but I mean I really would like this solved... :p

I would recommend going to any local store and buying the cheapest HDMI cable you can find just to see if it's an issue with the cable or not. Once you isolate the problem you have more options.

So say the new HDMI cable works, then you know it's the cables fault and you can request a new one from Amazon.

Say the new HDMI cable does the same thing, then you can return the HDMI cable to the store and then I'd recommend calling up Microsoft (ugh) and have them walk you through some troubleshooting steps. They should be able to solve the problem.

Other than that, I'm not really sure what else could be the culprit. I'm assuming you're connected to Live and have the latest Firmware/Dashboard Update?

Please provide these details:

What is XBOX 360 SKU (Premium/Elite)

What is the model number of the TV (link to the website would be great)

Also, goto the System blade, select Console Settings, select Display, then select HDTV Settings. Make sure the Current Settings have 1080p selected. Try Optimal Resolution too to see whether that'll work. Its not the cable. I use Monoprice as well as Monster (personal preference on some items) and both work like a charm. Try using a different device if possible. Get a cable from some store and try hooking the XBOX with it, make sure its not the cable. Return it after you're done testing.

I'm pretty sure that its not the Elite coz it comes with a stock HDMI cable.

HTH.

PSN: netcivilian

Live: s0uLr3aVeR

... and you're the kind of person that keeps Monster and Best Buy in business. A 0 is zero, a 1 is a one. It's Digital. Why don't you pay $100 for a USB cable too? It'll go faster if you buy a $150 cable, said Monster.

Silly people buying monster cables, i got a $15 belkin hdmi cable and works perfectly AND i still have that extra $100+ as well, AMAZING!

too many idiots recommending monsters... u should be lined up and shot chinese execution style.

now lets try n offer this guy some help.

1. You say 100% that your tv is 1080p, some tvs i have seen advertise as such but dont actually do the full hd, whats the model number of your tv?

2. go to BB, buy a monster cable... yes thats what i said buy a monster cable (OR any other gotdamn hdmi cable you can find), best is to buy another cable other than the one u have,

try it, if it works then u know its ur cable (and if u buy the monster from bb, MAKE sure you return it and use it for testing)

Please provide these details:

What is XBOX 360 SKU (Premium/Elite)

What is the model number of the TV (link to the website would be great)

Also, goto the System blade, select Console Settings, select Display, then select HDTV Settings. Make sure the Current Settings have 1080p selected. Try Optimal Resolution too to see whether that'll work. Its not the cable. I use Monoprice as well as Monster (personal preference on some items) and both work like a charm. Try using a different device if possible. Get a cable from some store and try hooking the XBOX with it, make sure its not the cable. Return it after you're done testing.

I'm pretty sure that its not the Elite coz it comes with a stock HDMI cable.

HTH.

PSN: netcivilian

Live: s0uLr3aVeR

My TV: http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=44

Xbox = Premium

I can't even select 1080p (It shows up as non-selectable [grey text not black])

Can you return cables after usage?

Well I searched for about two minutes and best I could come up with was this note in the user manual that's posted on that product page:

Note: To maintain the display quality, use a VIZIO certified HDMI cable available up to 10 meters.

See www.VIZIO.com or call 1-888-VIZIOCE (1-888-849-4623) for details.

I dunno if complying to that would fix your problem or not, but it's something.

-Spenser

Have you proved them wrong by buying one?

That?s a total Mythbuster statement

In the age of black CDs (real records) I heard that statement on a regular basis

Save money use regular copper cable instead of quality (and more expensive) speaker cable

I chose the latter

Monster of course in 1980 $ 3.50 a ft

a bud came over and was listening to Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon

He?s like WTF ?

You get new speakers or a amp?

I said no why

His response I?m hearing things that were never there before

I said yes I did a minor upgrade of speaker cable at 3.50 a foot

Got two 8 ft lengths

He was floored

Cable is not cable

The content of the cable is what makes it high or low quality

Monster uses the purest copper and usually includes gold or silver based cores

Much better conductors

And uses much better shielding than a rubber wrapping

Now Video I have not tested yet but would not use the blanket excuse of its ?just? cable

Beer is not just Beer, Wine is not just Wine

As tell people bitching whose hotmail account has ****ed up....

It was free right??? You get what you pay for

Of course that does not mean he should run out and by Monster

But there are upper quality cables than the budget HDMI out there

Rant Out

snipped...

Rant Out

Comparing speaker wire and a completely digital signal such as hdmi is not even worth mentioning because they are completely different. A cable running from, in this case an xbox to a television, is so short that in reality cable quality has very little factoring in it. Yes it matters about sheilding and other interference but with hdmi that is practically nonexistent.

All hdmi cables are practically the same. none are worth 20x the price of others. it's as simple as that. If you don't want to believe everyone here that's fine with me. Go waste your money. But don't come here trying to talk other people into wasting theirs.

Have you proved them wrong by buying one?

That?s a total Mythbuster statement

In the age of black CDs (real records) I heard that statement on a regular basis

Save money use regular copper cable instead of quality (and more expensive) speaker cable

I chose the latter

Monster of course in 1980 $ 3.50 a ft

a bud came over and was listening to Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon

He?s like WTF ?

You get new speakers or a amp?

I said no why

His response I?m hearing things that were never there before

I said yes I did a minor upgrade of speaker cable at 3.50 a foot

Got two 8 ft lengths

He was floored

Cable is not cable

The content of the cable is what makes it high or low quality

Monster uses the purest copper and usually includes gold or silver based cores

Much better conductors

And uses much better shielding than a rubber wrapping

Now Video I have not tested yet but would not use the blanket excuse of its ?just? cable

Beer is not just Beer, Wine is not just Wine

As tell people bitching whose hotmail account has ****ed up....

It was free right??? You get what you pay for

Of course that does not mean he should run out and by Monster

But there are upper quality cables than the budget HDMI out there

Rant Out

I agree, some cable is crap.. but do you honestly believe that an 8FT HDMI cable is worth $200?

It cost them maybe $10 total to make, package, ship... and they charge $200 for it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1158103757481