Adding your own image to the Bubbles Screensaver

First, go To C:\Windows\System32\ and copy Bubbles.scr to your desktop.

Download Reshacker from http://delphi.icm.edu.pl/ftp/tools/ResHack.zip

open Bubbles in ResHacker.

Expand BMP and then 120

Thats wierd... ResHacker wont preview it... why wont it preview a bitmap?

Select the 1033 in the 120 folder. Click Action -> Save as binary file. Give it a .bmp extension.

Now, go to youre dekstop and try to look at the image. Nothing will view it... thats odd. It doesnt seem to be a bmp.

So, now what? Rename/Resave, but this time as a txt file. Scroll to the bottom of this file, and you will see:

TRUEVISION-X FILE

X File? Arent X files 3D models? Well, go ahead and google Truevision X File

Find anything interesting? TARGA or TGA should have come up in your search results. So, what does this mean? the 'BMP' files in Bubbles.scr are actually TARGA files, better known as .tga files.

Now, you will need a program that can edit .tga files. I use Adobe Photoshop CS3, but if you cant afford it, than you can find another TGA program, or use the demo. Once you open Reource 120 (remember, .tga extension)

It will be a bubblish shape on black. Get the filled square tool. Set it to solid black and erase everything to black. Now draw an image, not to big or the corners will get cut off. Save the file and reopen ResHacker. Go back to Resource 120, right click and replace. Open your new TGA file. enter BMP for Resource typ and 120 for resource name/id.

Save it to your desktop. now run the scr file. If you like your new screensaver, then right click, select install, and it can be your normal screensaver. also, my VistaScreensaverSettings Editor will affect this to. This SHOULD work on XP, since the Vista Screensavers do, but I cannot be 100% sure.

Info:

Why did I have you do some incorrect things in the tutorial? Because I wanted to teach you something. Those are close to the steps I took figuring it out, so I decided I would teach everyone else what I learned by putting things in the tutoiral, even if I later show that way is wrong/doesnt work. :)

See my Legend of Zelda Bubbles post for an example of a edited bubbles.

• 11 years later...

i know this is a super old post but I able unable to get this done in the steps that you provided.  I don't have a 1033 under the 120 folder.  i am using reshacker version 5.1.7 (build 343).  Any possible help would be great!

Thanks!

23 hours ago, chicgeekstudios said:

i know this is a super old post but I able unable to get this done in the steps that you provided.  I don't have a 1033 under the 120 folder.  i am using reshacker version 5.1.7 (build 343).  Any possible help would be great!

Thanks!

1033 just identifies the language that you have. If the file resides on a system that isn't en-us, then expect a different code. All you really need to find is the resource named 120 somewhere under BMP.

https://www.science.co.il/language/Locale-codes.php