I just downloaded linux now how to install..

Well I just downloaded linux redhat 8.0 from the ftp site at their website. I want to install it, and I'm on an xp operating system now. I just dont know what to run to install it, please help..Thanks

Well I just downloaded linux redhat 8.0 from the ftp site at their website. I want to install it, and I'm on an xp operating system now. I just dont know what to run to install it, please help..Thanks

First, buy a book on Linux. There are many out there about Redhat. Be VERY sure what you are doing or you will wind up screwing up your XP installation. Linux is NOT a user friendly OS. You have to know a good bit about YOUR computer, what drivers you will need, and how your disk partitions are setup. PLEASE! Before you do anything else, READ!

Depending on how many packages you will install (from 2GB to 5GB, rounding up here) it's safe to have at least 8Gigs of space if you're doing FULL install but a minimum of 6gigs is good enough for browsing, word processing and such and a bit of games.

Burn the ISOs to CD, insert CD 1 into drive. Reboot.

Partitioning: Easiest is around a 128MB Swap, then a 6GB+ root. You can seperate it into more partitions if you like for things like /usr or /home

Post Install: Once installed and booted, double click the up2date icon in the kicker (the taskbar at the bottom). Register your version of Redhat so you can use the up2date feature. Update the rpms and kernel.

Customize: Reboot, select the new kernel. Go to Preferences, Look & Feel under the startmenu, change your gui (window decoration, color, icons, background, etc.)

If you get a message about your sound device, once in KDE/Gnome, open Terminal (if you are root, if not once in terminal 'su root'). Type ./sndconfig, select your card and settings. If you don't know them, check the manufacturers website or search google.

Tada. Redhat 8.0 - It r0x3rs my b0x3rs. ::coughs:: ok.. I meant it runs my server. :x

Panorama where you guys gettin these avatars? you guys making it yourselves or is there a site with flag icons? :)

Off-topic here, just answering his question:

This is KoL's Flag icons. There's a post about it in the Icon, Wallpaper section.

Go back to redhat.com and read the manual. There even have the screenshots and better explain how to install RedHat.

Hey Mezz! Did you get my PM?

/returning back to thread now....

Yes and I deleted it without read. Regards anything related to *nix, please just create a new topic. That's what forums is all about to share the information, help each others, make search engine useful and etc. Also, I am not only person that who know *nix in here. There's nothing private to ask for help on *nix.

Resize your windows partition, and leave at least 5gb for linux, burn the ISO to a CD, and boot from it :p

When you install, install it to the unpartitioned space, and it will setup a dual boot with XP if you install LILO or GRUB :p