Bonjour Service Removal

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#16 FunkPhenomena

FunkPhenomena

Neowinian

• 20 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:43

I actually removed the whole entry at first which was for me Catalog_Entries\000000000005.

I rebooted and I was like WTF, I had no internet, no sound, no visual styles. I go back and there's Num_Catalog_Entries which I reduced by one at NameSpace_Catalog5

fiew! :cool:

I have the same problems and somewhat did the same thing. I didn't realize this was a part of adobe photoshop cs3 and thought it was some leftover from apple. I searched regedit and deleted all bonjour references without realizing how effed up things were going to get. Complacency meant no registry backup...

So I am curious, how did you resolve your issue?

#17 way2quik

way2quik

Neowinian

• 1,013 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 16:22

Odd.
I've always went to Add/Remove Programs, and I've always had successful uninstalls.

#18 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

• 2,841 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 19:12

I have this service too, but it does not bother me. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

With behavior such as this, it is broken. Developers writing software this nasty should be taken out and shot. And I'm saying this as a developer.

#19 Starbuck84

Starbuck84

Would You Kindly?

• 1,455 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 19:19

Did you ever try just preventing the service from starting in the first place, in the Services.msc control panel? It gets installed with iTunes now, and I just disable it.

Same here, just disabled the services so it wouldn't start up anymore. But I do thank the OP, cause it helped me remove it completely, thanks! :)

#20 wtfdan

wtfdan

Neowinian

• 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 19:25

Odd.
I've always went to Add/Remove Programs, and I've always had successful uninstalls.

Yea, I know. It gets install by default with itunes but I just uninstall from there, just like Mobile support. Bonjour is not in services .msc any more.

Surprised people are having problems.

I wish Apple would stop stuffing so much extra crap and services with each itunes release. Programs that aren't antiviruses which add new processes can feck off. It's so pointless.

#21 FunkPhenomena

FunkPhenomena

Neowinian

• 20 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 17:47

I don't think it's the apple flavor, rather the photoshop cs3 one. With the apple one, I was able to add/remove like anything else... and perhaps if I'd installed photoshop and then did the add/remove, maybe there wouldn't have been an issue. Instead, I see bonjour running knowing full well I had uninstalled that sucker some time ago and so went to the registry to force the issue. Major screwup on my part, especially with no registry backup. Removing all bonjour entries in the registry killed my internet, sound and desktop effects. And it killed the internet hard... after many hours I came upon a winsockfix utility that saved my hide... yeesh. Not even a repair install fixed things before that. And that was an ugly repair install with no internet and it kept asking for drivers...

Anyhow, tread lightly with this photoshop cs3 bonjour... indeed, the tentacles run deep.

#22 revvo

revvo

the most interesting man in the world

• 7,343 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 18:30

With behavior such as this, it is broken. Developers writing software this nasty should be taken out and shot. And I'm saying this as a developer.

Indeed. A proper installer/setup will ask for what the user needs and install accordingly. I guess that's too complicated for the average OSX user, seeing how many of them use Apple because they fled away from Windows.

#23 AgEnTsMiTh

AgEnTsMiTh

Neowinian Senior

• 7,001 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 22:24

Indeed. A proper installer/setup will ask for what the user needs and install accordingly. I guess that's too complicated for the average OSX user, seeing how many of them use Apple because they fled away from Windows.

:blink:

Yes that is why OSX users fled windows.

#24 Impact

Impact

Neowinian Senior

• 1,817 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 22:43

The best guide I have found has been here: http://www.x64bit.ne...p...ost&p=40719

It has a couple more steps, but this guide isn't bad either.

#25 vetgigapixels

gigapixels

Neowinian Senior

• 16,520 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 22:58

Just a note, for those thinking of doing this: you need Bonjour installed and running in order for the Remote app to work on the iPhone/iPod Touch 2.0 firmware.

#26 BrokenAI

BrokenAI

Neowinian

• 33 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 23:00

I was amazed when I realized it was actually the Bonjour service that was making my Windows Vista experience as painful as it was. Who would write such a "malware" I thought...

Then I started with all those conspiracy theories in my head as why there are so extreme amounts of security flaws caused by Axxxx and Axxxx software on Windows and could this possibly be made on purpose... I don't mean for you to take that part seriously, it was just a thought I had.

Anyway after removing this piece of "malware" I started enjoying Vista again and decided not to downgrade to XP.

I'm not saying this service is entirely bad, it just had bad conflict with my machine and I had no idea what was causing my machine to act so sluggish! And I wonder how many people have experienced it as well but just believed in all the anti-Vista rants and thought it was normal.

Edited by BrokenAI, 13 July 2008 - 23:10.

#27 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,290 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:57

Are you sure it wasn't something else, or a bad install?

Bonjour by itself is very light weight (It's a small DNS server)

#28 BrokenAI

BrokenAI

Neowinian

• 33 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 17:30

I don't know what it was, but my PC started to act fast again when I disabled the service.

It was definitely not working the way it was intended or perhaps it had been altered by something else entirely, at least I find it scary.

#29 Baleno_E

Baleno_E

Neowinian

• 9 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:34

I don't even know what it's for....
Now I can delete it without any worry...
Thanks....

#30 jpmad4it

jpmad4it

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:05

Hi everyone,

I read a guide similar to this, but they did not point out that I had to look for the specific dll in the registry. It merely said delete the registry entry with number 00000000005 (see below for registry location). So being a total fool, and believing everything I read on the net, away I went and did that.

I also did the same for the same entry, but it was for the 64 bit entry in the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000005

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries64\000000000005

So then I find my internet dies, critical services are not starting, and my PC is more or less dead.

So I have obviously deleted the incorrect registry entry, one that was very important.

Is a windowsr re-install the only way to correct this? Any help would be amazing.

I tried an LSP fix, but it didn't seem to work.

kind regards
jonathan

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!