Vista x64 Ultimate - RealTek Onboard Sound Problem

Hi Neowin,

I have recently bought a new machine that was custom built. It might be worth mentioning the motherboard and onboard sound device firstly before I go into any further detail (Bear with me :D)

+ Mobo: ASUS P5K-SE S775 QuadCore ATX GBLan

+ S.Card: AC883 Onboard Sound Card (High Definition Audio Controller device name)

I am running as mentioned above, 64 bit ultimate Vista and cannot get the sound to work. In my status bar / time etc I have the normal speaker icon that allows the change of volume, however it has a red cross over it and when I mouse over it it says "No Audio Output Device is installed.

Now normally this is attributed to not having drivers for yoru sound card installed, however this is not the case. I have installed and uninstalled the drivers from the P5K's disk many times now, to no avail. The RealTek sound manager does not work or boot up, and when I go in and manually run the .exe, it doesn't respond or add it to my process manager.

What I have brought it down to I think is the fact that my driver for my soundcard is being installed from a Microsoft signed driver. It is listed under "System Devices" in the Device Manager rather than "Sound and game controllers etc.". Also, when I view the properties of the device, the driver is signed by microsoft, not RealTek. I believe this has something to do with what's going wrong.

Every time I boot into Vista, Microsoft will automatically installed "Driver Software" for my SoundCard. This is after I remove the device from my system thinking I can manually install the RealTek ones. However, even with Windows Update and My Hardware Properties set to "never Install" It still does it. Unplugging my ethernet doesn't work either, unfortunately.

So, that's my situation. I know it is a lot to take in but I'm really puzzled with this. I have tried every driver I can find for 64 bit and nothing is helping. Could any of you guys help me, I would be GREATLY appreciative.

Thanks,

Sam

Are you running SP1? If so, you should be able to go to windows update, and download a driver for realtek (digitally signed by realtek also!)dated 3-21-08, I have the same sound on my system and am running x64 also without any problems... the driver was listed as an optional update on 4-5-08. Hope that helps!

+Darconf, could you elaborate? I'm not too good with Vista or Hardware. Thanks for that advice Jonathan, I updated to SP1 last night after getting it all set up. I'll keep looking for a driver for the card, one hasn't appeared yet but it's still doing the x64 updates and security fixes (Updates I can choose to install.)

Is there a way to get it to appear as an update or?

Thanks,

Sam

Edited by Colours *

the last Motherboard I had, evga 680i had realtech sound(Azalia) just like the p5kse and vista 64 Ult. ,,, everytime i installed the audio drivers it defaulted to digital output so i would get that mousover message you were getting. as well as the red x on the speaker. it took me a while to find but i did. in the realtech HD control panel it was on digital output and (speaker was greyed out) I found this pic to help LINKY In the top right i saw a really small folder and double clicked on it to change from digital output to analog I dont know if this will help but its a possibility,,,

the drivers we used on the p5kse were these>>> vista x64 sound driver p5k se

Edited by Darconf

the last Motherboard I had, evga 680i had realtech sound(Azalia) just like the p5kse and vista 64 Ult. ,,, everytime i installed the audio drivers it defaulted to digital output so i would get that mousover message you were getting. as well as the red x on the speaker. it took me a while to find but i did. in the realtech HD control panel it was on digital output and (speaker was greyed out) I found this pic to help LINKY In the top right i saw a really small folder and double clicked on it to change from digital output to analog I dont know if this will help but its a possibility,,,

the drivers we used on the p5kse were these>>> vista x64 sound driver p5k se

That sounds good. I downloaded and installed those drivers and the install all appears to go fine, until I reboot and no Control Panel is available. In actual fact it's almost as if nothing installed at all. I can browse to the files installed by the driver installer, but when I try to run them, nothing happens. If I could just get to the control panel, I would be fine.

This has also been the case for all the drivers I have installed, it's as if they don't change anything.

Any ideas, it's really puzzling me.

Sam

Edited by Colours *

Giving the drivers above a try again (1.91) I uninstalled my old ones and my sound device is giving me the old "Cannot Start" so that might mean the drivers are playing a part not being installed. Will post back.

Edit: I rebooted and the problem persists, the drivers are listed as installed, the device says it's functioning but I still have a red cross.

Sighs.

Sam

Edited by Colours *

This may seem harsh, but have you considered doing a clean install of Vista? Are you having troubles with any other hardware devices in your system? Another thought that just occurred to me, have you checked the BIOS to see if perhaps the integrated sound has been disabled for some reason? (Not very likely but ....) How about checking to see if your BIOS is up to date? Sometimes it can be the littlest things that make the biggest difference! Good Luck!!! :)

Have you ever had sound on this system? :unsure:

Edited by Jonathan Nelson