[Review] 24 inch iMac 2.8ghz

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#16 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,389 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 00:16

One question - does the glossy screen give off a lot of glare? I see the screen is facing away from the window, so does that help?

Yes, it does. I've got a 20" iMac with the glass front, and it reflects everything like a mirror. It's at the end of my bed, so when I read books at night with the light, I have to tilt the screen away so it doesnt reflect in my face. Can be a bit off-putting but the picture is definately better imo.

I own a 17" iMac as well, and I can say without a doubt that the 20" is far superior than the 17" (Screen-wise at least!)

#17 pyehac

pyehac

Neowinian Senior

• 4,096 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 00:24

My friend just got his a few days ago also (he ordered it as soon as he got word of it, and it came here a couple of days later - and we're in Hawaii).

As a Windows user for more than 10 years, Apple computers are so freakin cool!

#18 MasterC

MasterC

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 6,019 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:12

When you sit directly in front of the screen it's not bad at all. Depending on your lighting and windows though there will be glare when looking at the screen from an angle. I have 2 windows in my room, one to the left also and sometimes it shines in but hasn't bothered me.

I forgot to point out that I have the brightness of the screen on notch 6 of 16 right now. It's crazy how bright it is. Sometimes I turn it up higher but after extended periods it actually bothers my eyes because it is so bright.

That's what I thought - it depends on on the lighting conditions since Raa's iMac can double as a mirror. :p

Yes, it does. I've got a 20" iMac with the glass front, and it reflects everything like a mirror. It's at the end of my bed, so when I read books at night with the light, I have to tilt the screen away so it doesnt reflect in my face. Can be a bit off-putting but the picture is definately better imo.

I own a 17" iMac as well, and I can say without a doubt that the 20" is far superior than the 17" (Screen-wise at least!)

Well it's good to know that the screen is better. I just wish Apple would have a matte option.

My friend just got his a few days ago also (he ordered it as soon as he got word of it, and it came here a couple of days later - and we're in Hawaii).

As a Windows user for more than 10 years, Apple computers are so freakin cool!

Now all you have to do is get one yourself. :cool:

#19 OP +StevoFC

StevoFC

In Search Of...

• 8,909 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:04

I'm currently running the folding@home smp client for OSX to see how that goes...

#20 richardsim7

richardsim7

Neowinian Senior

• 4,639 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:20

Moar pics ;)

-Rich-

#21 vetPL_

PL_

Neowinian Senior

• 13,773 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:29

For example the Mighty Mouse doesn't have right clicking enabled by default. Photo booth doesn't have the auto flip image setting enabled. Simple things like that can be slightly annoying to have to change, but like I said, it's impossible to please everyone completely. And the things I mentioned are very minor.

The Mighty Mouse is designed so that long time Mac users don't get confused by the right click, and can use it how it's always been. OS X is designed to not really need right click to keep things simple.

I think in Tiger auto flip was default, I remember using it and thinking it would irritate me a lot.

For me, I thought it was strange how tapping the trackpad didn't click by default, but when you watch an old/inexperienced person using a laptop and making lots of accidental clicks this way, it does make sense.

#22 richardsim7

richardsim7

Neowinian Senior

• 4,639 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:37

Yeah, after using my macbook for a good few months, I can't stand trackpad tapping, it's so annoying :p

-Rich-

#23 OP +StevoFC

StevoFC

In Search Of...

• 8,909 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 18:52

Moar pics ;)

-Rich-

I can take more pics, but i really don't see a point. All Macs look exactly the same.

Does anyone have any specific questions that they would like answered?

#24 richardsim7

richardsim7

Neowinian Senior

• 4,639 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 20:00

I see you edited your first post! Touche!! :p

Very nice, what camera did you use? :)

-Rich-

#25 OP +StevoFC

StevoFC

In Search Of...

• 8,909 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 20:40

I see you edited your first post! Touche!! :p

Very nice, what camera did you use? :)

-Rich-

it's been like that since noon yesterday...
I have a digital rebel xt.

#26 +Wannes

Wannes

iCommand ⌘

• 9,298 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:51

Nice review Stevo. It's a nice line up but I'm still doubting which setup I should take. Probably the same as yours I guess. You've been a couple days further, how do you feel about the iMac now?

#27 OP +StevoFC

StevoFC

In Search Of...

• 8,909 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:15

Nice review Stevo. It's a nice line up but I'm still doubting which setup I should take. Probably the same as yours I guess. You've been a couple days further, how do you feel about the iMac now?

I'm really happy with it. It performs great. I've been running the folding@home smp client for almost 3 full days now and even that doesn't slow it down. I can't complain about it at all.

I don't see any reason to even consider the nvidia 8800 unless you plan on playing games on it and want the highest settings possible.

#28 what

what

Neowinian Senior

• 7,472 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:19

iMacs are simply amazing machines :) I've had mine for almost six months now and it has never put a foot wrong for me. I can see myself choosing to go for Macs over regular PCs for a long time.

#29 OP +StevoFC

StevoFC

In Search Of...

• 8,909 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 18:52

iMacs are simply amazing machines :) I've had mine for almost six months now and it has never put a foot wrong for me. I can see myself choosing to go for Macs over regular PCs for a long time.

It's actually annoying now for me to use my pc at work because I am so used to OSX here at home. I have absolutely no reason to purchase a new pc other than from Apple anymore.

#30 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,131 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 10 May 2008 - 18:55

It's actually annoying now for me to use my pc at work because I am so used to OSX here at home. I have absolutely no reason to purchase a new pc other than from Apple anymore.

I know the feeling. It took me about a week to get used to OS X. Ever since Windows feels alien to me.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!