Favorite programming language?

Favorite programming language  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your favorite programming language?

• C
    • C++
    • C#
    • Java
    • Visual Basic .NET
    • BASIC
    • Assembly
    • Perl
    • shell script
    • PHP
    • HTML
    • Flash
    • Powershell
    • Python
    • Pascal
    • ASP
    • XML
    • Ruby
    • Ada
    • Delphi

Question

Im well aware that some of the options listed are accually "family" but hey you have to give options :)

If I missed a important one, please go ahead and say it and Ill add it :)

Thanks jimbo11883: Forgot to mention that.

Some "languages" here arent actually programming languages but ,in say HTML, you can make a simple tic-tac-toe program :) Lets count them anyhow unless someone is against it.

Added Ruby and Ada :)

Added Delphi

Edited by funciona

C# for desktop programming

PHP for web development

I've heard good things about Ruby, but I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet.

I've only had chance to try Visual Basic and C++, atm, as I am just finishing my first year at uni (and have had too many assignments to try others lol); however, one of my mates at uni showed me some C# code and it looks SEXY! :o

Starting Java next year too, I can't wait! (Y)

----------------

Now playing on iTunes: Oasis - Acquiesce

via FoxyTunes

Edited by cJr.

How can you C# people stand not having standard fall through support on switch statements!

Don't talk so smartly :p Last time I checked, we do!

I'd say C# and VB.net for windows programming.

PHP (and HTML and XML etc etc) for webprogramming. (technically .. it's scripting .. but ok)

A shame I don't know many more languages .. would love to have more time for ASP.NET 3.0.

Java suck big fat donkey balls. Not really into C / C++ .. guess I just never took the time. Not saying they bad or anything .. it's just .. with C#, VB and PHP.. I can pretty much make anything I need (from webservices to servers to mini apps to widgets/applets/gadgets etc).

Ps ... ugh @ Pascal .. times := sucky

How can you C# people stand not having standard fall through support on switch statements!
You can always emulate that with goto statements. And the evilness of the goto reveals the evil beneath falling-through cases.

I still don't know much about programming, but it's always a pleasure writing code in C#, with the nice Visual C# IDE. However I am somewhat more comfortable and knowledged with C++ now. I guess if I had to choose for all my life, I'd rather write in C#, but I love C++ too.

I took classes in C++ and one class in java and i would have gone with java. I learned a bit of C# on my own and like it better than c++ and java. Now im taking a graphics class in Java and I will say that I really like Java now since im learning more about Java since the last class years ago. I think i will get back into C++ (my friends just got an internship with Intel and he told me C++ is the way to go) and just stay strong in C++ and Java. Verilog is cool also.

PHP for sure...

Java is ridiculous... I hated it.

I don't care for Java either. It just has some weird idiosyncrasies and the way everyone formats Java code is REALLY hard to read to me.

Rewrite the switch statement so it doesn't require fall-through. :) The C# method is nice because it keeps you from making accidental an accidental fall-through that could end up causing a defect.

Rewrite the switch statement so it doesn't require fall-through. :) The C# method is nice because it keeps you from making accidental an accidental fall-through that could end up causing a defect.

Yeah I know, but sometimes its nice to be lazy :)

I disagree. Java makes a lot more sense than 95% of the languages out there...definitely more english-like than PHP

Java:

String greeting = "hello" + "world";

Println(greeting);

PHP:

$greeting = "hello"."world";

echo "$greeting\n";

A 3rd grader could understand that Java code.

My favs are Java and C++ btw