Which Linux Applications are you looking for?

This thread's ultimate goal to provide an assistance for you guys that needs certain Linux applications but don't know where to start looking.

In an addition, please check out "Linux Appz which are good for the job?" ( https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=...ST&f=30&t=23098 ) thread in this forum as well because chances are, what you are looking for might have been listed in there.

Please always to remember to keep your questions clear and provide as much information as you can.

Configure

How many more pinned topic do we need more? How about create a sub forum for faq, how-to and etc only; not ask for help or something else. To keep something seprate and easier to find info by go there. That's my suggest and thought.

i would REALLY REALLY REALLY like Tribes 2 for linux, it was readilly avaliable when Loki was still around (for those who havent woken up to the sad reality, Loki - one of the largest Linux game manufacturers (and game porters) have gone bankrupt and thus it is hard to find some of the better titles in their once supreme collection of ported games). But just as my luck has it, when i decided i wantedd to play games on linux, Loki went broke, and i cant find any games i want anymore, (i have looked on every loki distributor (listed on thier site) and cant find Tribes 2, i tried to Wine my windows copy which hasnt yet worked (still working on it)

so in short, i would like Tribes 2 for linux, if any1 has any idea where i can get it, plz tell me, it is one of my all time favorite games!!!

WineX still needs improvement. But I do wish that some of the manufacturers make Linux versions of their software as well. Microsoft will definitely refuse, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Nero for Linux or at least CloneCD for Linux

you get nero for linux, your version 6 licence for windows version works with it :)

NeroLinux

Its not the complete package but gives you general nero burning capabilities.

Is there any programs that functions like Windows Media Player/Winamp 3, has Libarary function

excluding Rhythmbox!!! Bad karma with it.

I think amaroK and thats it. Haven't found too many G.U.I ones. Getty's though there are a few lol.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
What is the linux version of Autocad?
With this thread being in "", I didn't see this post until now. There is no equivalent to AutoCAD in Linux, I am afraid. However, I have tried the free version of QCad, and it works fine for 2D work. As an engineer, I fully agree that having Autodesk support AutoCAD on Linux is a BIG item.
I'm looking for install CrossOffice on Ubuntu.. tried many times and fail :(
This is a technical problem. Best to post this in the regular support forum. :yes:

If this is purchased version, it comes with support from Codeweavers. If this is the free version without support, it still shouldn't be difficult. Perhaps someone with experience can help.

• 1 month later...

I need an enterprise manager clone for the manual editing of tables in a MS SQL database, that is the only program that hinders my utter and complete migration to Linux at work :(

I need a simple app that logs and gives a unique name to every file within a set of directories every time they're modified (individually).

Yes, I know someone proficient in bash could do that, but I'm crap at writing scripts.

• 6 months later...
Hi,

I searching for soft like privacy Erase under windows but i need similar soft

work under linux - Centos

RGDS

What a trivial set of features to implement!

Main Features of Privacy Eraser Pro
  • Erase Internet Explorer Cache Files
  • Erase Internet Explorer Browser History
  • Erase Internet Explorer Cookies
  • Erase Internet Explorer Address Bar History
  • Erase Internet Explorer Index.dat Files
  • Erase Internet Explorer AutoComplete Memory
  • Erase Windows Recent Documents History
  • Erase Windows Start Menu Run/Find History
  • Erase Windows Recycle Bin
  • Erase Windows Temporary Files Directory
  • Erase Windows MediaPlayer Recent File List
  • Erase Internet history from Google/Yahoo
  • Support Mozilla/Firefox, AOL, Netscape, Opera
  • Select which cookies you want to keep
  • File Shredder - Secure delete files & folders
  • Cleaning Free Disk Space - FAT/FAT32/NTFS
  • Scheduled Tasks & Plug-Ins Support
  • Free space on your Hard Drive!
  • Speed up your computer!

Set your Firefox privicy settings up, and you got pretty much all of this (except defrag NTFS and other silliness).

Or use a LiveCD if you are exceptionally paranoid.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would never use linux on my desktops/laptops/mediacenter, but on my server i would love to see linux.

But since i SUCK at linux, i would love some setupapp. like you find in windows server 2003/2008 when you log in the first time.

This probably exists, and I'm just ignorant?

I would never use linux on my desktops/laptops/mediacenter, but on my server i would love to see linux.

But since i SUCK at linux, i would love some setupapp. like you find in windows server 2003/2008 when you log in the first time.

This probably exists, and I'm just ignorant?

Are you talking about setting up a user account? Or setting up services, like http, SMB filesharing and such?

A tool that some people use, especially on a remote-administered box, is webmin.

For a local box, the various distros often offer tools for just that. Red Hat / Fedora have their system-config-xxxxx apps that will present a GUI window to configure various aspects of the system.