Photo

Which Linux Applications are you looking for?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31 vetmarkjensen

markjensen

Linux noob since Red Hat 5.1

• Phone: Android and iPhone

Posted 29 February 2008 - 19:30

Zune is currently a no-go it seems. Microsoft apparently has a secret handshake of sorts before files can be transferred. A Linux user can connect and see the files, but that's about it.

As far as HD video editing, maybe try Cinelerra? It is available in HeroineWarrior form, or in Community form.

#32 Borbus

Borbus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 February 2008 - 19:33

Zune is currently a no-go it seems. Microsoft apparently has a secret handshake of sorts before files can be transferred. A Linux user can connect and see the files, but that's about it.

Surprise, surprise :rolleyes: This is just one reason why you should not buy proprietary hardware like this! A more free non-branded one would've done a better job for less money (and by better job I mean do anything at all, because as far as a linux or OSX user is concerned, a Zune is just an expensive paper weight).

#33 darkproteus66

darkproteus66

Neowinian

Posted 29 February 2008 - 19:38

Surprise, surprise :rolleyes: This is just one reason why you should not buy proprietary hardware like this! A more free non-branded one would've done a better job for less money (and by better job I mean do anything at all, because as far as a linux or OSX user is concerned, a Zune is just an expensive paper weight).

Well guess I won't be switching my gf over to linux any time soon.
What about software to make and publish podcasts?

#34 k311

k311

University of Florida Gator

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:03

Photoshop. WINE doesnt seem to like it. :(

i manage photoshop 7 just fine under wine?

#35 UKer

UKer

Smeghead

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:40

I would really like an ActiveSync replacement for Linux that syncs to Evolution.

Easy, follow instructions at http://www.synce.org/moin/ - worked perfectly first time in Ubuntu 7.10. I can sync calender, contacts and tasks with no problem using my Dell Axim x51v, Multisync-qad is the application I use, the backends are Synce and Opensync, and it's far quicker than Activesync (works as soon as I plug in the PDA). You can also browse the device in Nautilus.

Attached Images

• Screenshot.png

#36 deadite66

deadite66

Neowinian

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:00

a decent download manager.

#37 Jyang

Jyang

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2008 - 15:49

You can use wget if you need help type man wget. I found a nice gui frontend Gwget for GNOME. I use it only from the command line and don't know other graphical frontends.

#38 Malbojia

Malbojia

Neowinian

Posted 23 March 2008 - 15:56

I'd be in need of a decent Capture Card application. I tweaked out TV Time but that alone cant just help with all the world standards on game console resolutions.

Also a nice Video Editor/ Capture app.

Right now I'm using mencoder shell scripts to dump the streams but I'd like having to see the real time playback while capturing. Video4Linux 1 /2 are not good enough with Philips SAA 7114 chips or Bt8b8. I/O errors occur or resfuse to acces the hardware twice for the purposes I need.

#39 Windam

Windam

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 March 2008 - 15:59

Nevermind, they actually released Digsby for Linux >_<

You know it's amazing how the gap has shorted, even last year you would need to find a few necessary apps to make your transition complete but now it's just easy.

#40 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 August 2008 - 15:14

For iPod you can through Rockbox on it and then be free of stupid software like iTunes. Amarok will take care of everything else (better).

Logitech don't support Linux, but you can get your mouse and keyboard extra functions to work, it just takes some work.

So, if you where a big iTune user (with the iTune Store) say goodbye to all your paid downloaded songs/movies. That's a no-go for Linux. Same if you are a Zune user.

As for the Logitech (and many other hardware), the "it just takes some work" is not a good answer if Linux wants to move forward in the desktop. It just NEEDS to work. I know it's Logitech fault, but things like that will hold back many would be Linux users.

As for software, I need Photoshop CS3 and.... Games to work correctly with Linux. What about native software, would be nice to forget about Wine.

#41 roadgeek9

roadgeek9

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2008 - 00:19

iTunes
SimCity 4 (there is SimCity 3000, but I have always preferred SimCity 4).

#42 Borbus

Borbus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2008 - 00:36

iTunes

What... are you serious? iTunes is completely the opposite of what GNU/Linux is about.

#43 roadgeek9

roadgeek9

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 August 2008 - 00:37

What... are you serious? iTunes is completely the opposite of what GNU/Linux is about.

Fine, now I am not serious.

#44 Sleepy Jesus

Sleepy Jesus

Piss Monkey

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:02

and iTunes is bloated and highly overrated, IMO!

#45 fixxxer2014

fixxxer2014

A1 poster

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:04

id like better support for syncing windows mobile based phones with linux. that's one of the reasons im back to vista now.