RocketDock vs. ObjectDock: Why?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Frogboy

Frogboy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2008 - 21:35

Hey guys,

For those of you who use RocketDock instead of ObjectDock, why do you prefer RocketDock over ObjectDock.

And..

For those of you who use ObjectDock instead of RocketDock, why do you prefer ObjectDock over RocketDock.

Thanks!

Edit: Please be as specific as possible.

#2 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 November 2008 - 21:37

Tried both, was just more impressed with RocketDock, however, if your having trouble deciding which to use, use them both and then pick the one that suits you best.

#3 Imran Hussain

Imran Hussain

ithinkdifferent

Posted 18 November 2008 - 21:37

Object Dock slows down my system startup more than Rocket Dock. Also, Rocket Dock has the stacks functionality which I like, so I prefer Rocket Dock.

#4 david

david

Android Aficionado

• Phone: Nexus 5 // Mahdi // Code_Blue

Posted 18 November 2008 - 21:38

There is no plus version of rocketdock which costs $19.95. Rocketdock is all free with more features.

#5 Bazenga

Bazenga

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2008 - 21:40

erm, why these dock utilities that popular? how do you use them? I tried to use one, in fact, I obliged myself to use it just for the sack of it and I simply couldn't see why I should use one. Could someone enlighten me please?

#6 mr.r9

mr.r9

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2008 - 21:42

After trying both docks, I found rocketdock to be enough for me. It's a bit lighter than objectdock with the same main functionality.

#7 david

david

Android Aficionado

• Phone: Nexus 5 // Mahdi // Code_Blue

Posted 18 November 2008 - 21:44

erm, why these dock utilities that popular? how do you use them? I tried to use one, in fact, I obliged myself to use it just for the sack of it and I simply couldn't see why I should use one. Could someone enlighten me please?

Less clutter on your desktop. I have my dock hidden and slides out on mouseover. Alot faster to access most used programs/folders than having programs in the start menu to access them.

#8 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

I can dump the 'Quick Launch' Bar because I can have the Rocket Dock on the desktop but hidden beneath all Windows, but when I need it, I just raise my mouse pointer to the top of the full screen window (as an example) and it'll appear! :)

#9 PricklyPoo

PricklyPoo

Neowinian Senior

I'm all about how lightweight and responsive a dock is, not really about the amount of extra features.

I prefer rocket dock just because it seems to run quicker, take up less ram, cpu, etc.

I'd switch to object dock if it maybe had a "Launch lightweight version" which just did the bare minimum for a dock. :p

#10 OP Frogboy

Frogboy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2008 - 22:02

I'm all about how lightweight and responsive a dock is, not really about the amount of extra features.

I prefer rocket dock just because it seems to run quicker, take up less ram, cpu, etc.

I'd switch to object dock if it maybe had a "Launch lightweight version" which just did the bare minimum for a dock. :p

For those of you choosing RocketDock. Can you be more specific about lightweight since neither dock uses much memory.

Thanks!

#11 vetSleeper

Sleeper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2008 - 22:13

tried both, and using Rocketdock, has all the features I need and appears to have less of an impact on system performance when using it.

#12 PricklyPoo

PricklyPoo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2008 - 22:19

Ok, I decided to test it for my self to see the differences in performance...Just to make sure I wasn't falling for a misconception. :p

Object Dock installer clocks in at about 12.1mb...While Rocket Dock's is about 6.2mb.

While running, Rocket Dock takes up about 6-8mb of ram on default install settings....And while quickly moving my mouse back and forth across the dock, cpu usage went to about 60%.

For Object Dock...it takes up about 4-7mb of ram on default install settings...While quickly moving my mouse back and forth across the dock, cpu usage went from around 70% to 90%...

I am running it on windows xp, sp3, amd 3700, 1gb of ram, and a radeon x1950 pro.

So object dock wins on the amount of ram it takes while running, but it uses much more cpu...(On default settings)

#13 Lechio

Lechio

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2008 - 22:25

When using Windows I prefer Rocketdock. Uses less system resources plus it's free.
When using Linux I use paddock, of course... ;)

#14 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 18 November 2008 - 22:26

Rocketdock FTW. I like the options of Object Dock with different docks for everything and folders and etc, but its too much on ram and cpu.

Frogboy, If you use both docks, Object is heavier. I am guessing you are asking for a personal view becuase you wnat to make object more appealing to the customers, i say make it much lighter and faster to startup. objectdock use to load windows slow becuase it would take time starting up, rocketdock starts before explorer does now, its amazing.

#15 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 18 November 2008 - 22:31

I have used both. Used Object dock for a long time, then found out about Rocketdock and haven't went back.

Rocketdock just does what I want. I wish it was still being updated, but meh.. still works great.