Boot up time

I have successfully installed windows server 2k3 and it's working like a charm. But at boot up time, it takes a really long time preparing network connections. I don't really need all the things that are done (i guess..). So is there a way to speed things up by removing somme of the processes the system does at boot time???

Thanks

9 times out of 10 when a machine seems to hang on the "preparing network connections" window it is usually because of improperly configured DNS settings...

usually but not always...

I isntalled it and my boot up time is faster than my xp pro boot time, i now sit at around 12 seconds.

Start Installing, Active Directory Directory Services, Internet Information Services, SMTP Services....

Then come back and tell me your boot up time is 12 Seconds. :shifty:

youre network settings might be hosed...try running netsh to reset tcp/ip or reinstall your nic....

2000 had/has a nasty habit of "hanging" on boot if your dns is cofigured <b>EDIT</b> IN-correctly, sometime taking several minutes just to get past loading network settings...

and if you're using that monkied up dns wizard for 2003, good luck. thats like ciscos router config wizard, great and dandy for all the Id10ts trying to do pretend like they know what they are doing...but they leave nice holes for those of us that know what we are doing to get in and do our own monkey-job on your system.

lol @ xStainDx, active directory alone won't load that fast :D

Edited by theprotege

I don't know what I'm doing... I'm pretty new to server stuff. But I did install active directory... And it DOES slow down boot up time (I guess it's normal, given all the things Windows has to set up for it on boot up) :D