I want to Instal Windows 2003 Server..

Ok...I want to upgrade my os to windows 2003 server, and I would like to know if anything is unstable or, the os is uncompatible like 2000 was when it first came out, I want to replace my Windows XP os with 2003 and I also heard that it was very fast...I'm mostly worried about compatibility and such and games.

YOU CANT UPGRADE XP TO 2003 and have a stable OS, do a clean install ;)

Compatability is great, and it is slightly faster then XP manly from disabled servics :p

I have also found it more stable, and includes a few better drivers :p

Bah...I know its always been better to install clean and I have always done so in the past, but I realy don't want to reformat..so you say it's stable...do you think I could run into driver problems? for my sound card for instance, because it has only crappy windows 2000 drivers on it and hasnt had any new drivers for the card...

I just finished installing 2003 and just finished Ghosting my drive back to XP. Sure it looked like a good OS, but it couldnt find any drivers for my NICs, sound, modem, and other things, and couldnt get online to download any new drivers. yes I know I'm sure its customizable and maybe faster, but for right now, i'm sticking with XP

lol, how old/obscure is the hardware in your PC !??

Anyway, its a server OS for a reason.

most of the parts are from around 1997. yes, I know its a server OS, and it was designed for newer computers, I really installed it just for fun. I made a Ghost image right before cause i knew i would uninstall it soon.

I run 2000 Server with a few programs on a PII 300, 20 Meg HD, 300+ Megs of Ram, Nvidia GF2, Zip Drive, and Promise Ultra 66 IDE controller. I first did a fresh install. It took care of ALL my drivers and installd with no problems. There is one program that is a must for my system. Windows 2003 Server would not let it attach to the system tray, so it refused to installed. This is a problem and was acknowledged by the program manufacture.

What I did was image my drive back with Server 2000 and with everything installed, I used the upgrade option. This worked perfect and my program runs. This was the smoothest upgrade I have ever completed.

I just finished installing 2003 and just finished Ghosting my drive back to XP. Sure it looked like a good OS, but it couldnt find any drivers for my NICs, sound, modem, and other things, and couldnt get online to download any new drivers. yes I know I'm sure its customizable and maybe faster, but for right now, i'm sticking with XP

use the drivers for XP. If a driver is made for 2000/XP then it will most likely work on 2003. They are just revisions of the same OS. Hence 2000 = NT 5, XP = NT 5.1, and 2003 = NT 5.2

I run 2000 Server with a few programs on a PII 300, 20 Meg HD, 300+ Megs of Ram, Nvidia GF2, Zip Drive, and Promise Ultra 66 IDE controller. I first did a fresh install. It took care of ALL my drivers and installd with no problems. There is one program that is a must for my system. Windows 2003 Server would not let it attach to the system tray, so it refused to installed. This is a problem and was acknowledged by the program manufacture.

What I did was image my drive back with Server 2000 and with everything installed, I used the upgrade option. This worked perfect and my program runs. This was the smoothest upgrade I have ever completed.

20gb hard drive I hope?