Good war strategy game

First off, I'm running a P3 800 w/ a TNT2 so I can't play overly complex new games.

I'm looking for a war strategy game. I've played Shogun:TW ( Total War) and liked it a lot but its too buggy even w/ the patches. Anything w/ a Samurai edge would be cool like Shogun:TW. Risk ( I know is out on the PC ). Are there any other games similar to it that people could recommend?

I do not want AOE or Warcraft or similar games. I find them too boring at times and I'm forced to cheat to get the level "over with".

stronghold :yes: :whistle: :yes: erm.. or.. well, medieval - total war? :happy:

I tried Medieval TW demo and it got clunky after awhile. Having a huge battle in the perportions of what the game engine allows is the main appeal. Unfortunatley, my system won't let me.

I've played all the way through Stronghold. Commandos 2 I've also played. Its damn hard too, even with cheats.

Thanks Scopio, I'll check out Praetorians. Looks cool.

I've played all the way through Stronghold. Commandos 2 I've also played. Its damn hard too, even with cheats.

there's a stronghold expansion .. :p for some reason i didn't like praetorians.. is it a tad like any of the caesars? can't remember..

Thanks, macatak911, that is pretty much what I was looking for.

I wish someone would come out with a souped up version of the *old* Defender of the Crown. That game rocked. You can't play it on new computers and it looks like the new version won't run on my system :( :( :(

Shame about total war, because its stunning.

My main interest is Napoleonic warfare, and I'm dying for a decent game in that period, but for now, medieval total war is keeping me very happy :)