Thinkpad T43 Hard Drive Compatibility

Hello,

I recently got a refurbed T43 and was really happy. My first step was to replace the worn hard drive so my new little buddy would serve me long long time.

After the replacement on 1st boot i get an error code 2010 that goes on to say that the hard drive firmware is not right. I hit escape and installed windows. each boot i get the error. windows installs fine...no other issues. so to be clear system boots, hit escape and it starts booting up and goes on to the desktop.

so i research the problem with google and found a wiki on the code. thing is after an exhaustive search of the information in the wiki i can not find a new correct hard drive to buy to use in it.

has anyone run into this issue? how did you handle it? I have not seen a hard drive replacement issue in many years since some stored the bios on a drive partition.

thanks

Wow that sucks, didn't know it does that with hard drives too..I wonder if there's a CMOS hack to work around that?

I've replaced the wifi card in some Thinkpads, which cause this to display on bootup:

1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in

Power off and remove the miniPCI network card.

To work around it I installed a CMOS hack that basically overwrites the internal whitelist the Thinkpad has with all the "allowed" wifi cards. More info on that here.

Perhaps there's a similar hack somewhere for replacing hard drives? Just an idea..

• 1 year later...

thats why i am writing. trying to get a feel for this.

We've had that problem with Thinkpads of different models! Only solution we found if you still wanna use a non-original IBM HDD is to boot up your PC and press F1 in order to enter your bios fonctions, then go to Startup section and there you should find a subsection where you can select continue after a faulty message concerning HDD! You will no longer have to press ESC in order to access your Windows!