Star Trek Online (Free-to-play)

official mmo star trek cryptic pc

• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

#16 OP vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:44

How can they destroy something by adding to it? As LOC said, Paramount considers it to be "canon". That should be good enough for just about any Trekkie. I, for one, have a lot of faith in it. I hope it will succeed where others have failed time and time again. Let's face it, there hasn't been a good Star Trek game within the last 5 years. Star Trek: Legacy was an utter joke. Anyway, initial impressions seem to be good. That's definitely a good sign.

IMO the last good Star Trek game was Elite Force II. God I wish they'd make a 3 lol

As an avid EVE player, this will have to be REALLY good to move me over.

They are totally different games though. STO's space combat/exploration etc won't be anything like EVE's I can almost promise you that. Unless your specifically looking for something different of course...

Any speculations on a release date?

I wish EVE would get the FPS part that STO seems to have, instead of making it a standalone console-exclusive game

Oh the release date won't be until Q1/2 2010 I'm sure. They haven't even started closed beta testing it yet. My guess would be right around March or April next year. But that's just my guess. Remember, they've only really been working on the game a little over a year now.

#17 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:35

You're right, LOC. The last good Star Trek game was, indeed, Star Trek: Elite Force II. I remember playing the demo over and over again. When I finally bought the full version, I played it non-stop. Star Trek: Legacy was an utter failure. I had so much faith in it but when I saw the first screenshots for Star Trek: Online, I felt as though I was literally injected with hope itself.

The whole concept is something that could work so well with the Star Trek universe. I think the expected release date is Q1 2010 so it isn't too far away. I just hope I can get access to an open or closed beta. Anyway, check out the screenshots here. They're all good but some look amazing.

#18 OP vetLOC

LOC

I finally changed this.

Posted 31 August 2009 - 16:50

Another pretty in depth hands-on look at STO, this time by Eurogamer (I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but eh):

Eurogamer does STO

#19 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:24

That was a good read. It's so nice that they're going to let you customize just about every aspect of your starship.

#20 WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:29

As a pretty big trekky, this may be the first MMO that has got be interested.
I've played the trial of WoW, and got bored as hell. Hope this will be different.

#21 Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:54

Cant believe any true trekkie could be excited about this game, they are going to make it for the masses rather than for the trekkies, it just happens to be an mmo that is startrek.

#22 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:27

Cant believe any true trekkie could be excited about this game, they are going to make it for the masses rather than for the trekkies, it just happens to be an mmo that is startrek.

Huge MMO spanning the Star Trek universe. Taking the role of either a Starfleet or Klingon captain. Customizing your own ship.

Yup, can't believe any "true" Trekkie could be excited about a Star Trek-based MMO. :rolleyes:

#23 Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:33

Its set after Nemesis so they dont have to stick to canon they can make up any old random bullcrap, im having nightmares just imagining Startrek WoW with its gaudy colours.

Yeah customising your own ship just like every starship captain in every trek film/series..........oh wait.

I hate them messing with iconic ship designs and putting sticky-out bits all over it and calling it a ship.

#24 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:51

IMO the last good Star Trek game was Elite Force II. God I wish they'd make a 3 lol

They are totally different games though. STO's space combat/exploration etc won't be anything like EVE's I can almost promise you that. Unless your specifically looking for something different of course...

Oh the release date won't be until Q1/2 2010 I'm sure. They haven't even started closed beta testing it yet. My guess would be right around March or April next year. But that's just my guess. Remember, they've only really been working on the game a little over a year now.

star trek legacy by itself was crap but those mods for it makes it worthwhile.

#25 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 04 September 2009 - 17:17

No ST game has beaten out Bridge Commander for me yet. :p

But I hope STO does.

#26 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

Posted 04 September 2009 - 19:56

Its set after Nemesis so they dont have to stick to canon they can make up any old random bullcrap, im having nightmares just imagining Startrek WoW with its gaudy colours.

Yeah customising your own ship just like every starship captain in every trek film/series..........oh wait.

I hate them messing with iconic ship designs and putting sticky-out bits all over it and calling it a ship.

I guess you're afraid of change then. What do you expect them to do? Keep the same ship designs even though it's set so many years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis?. I'm a die-hard Trekkie and I welcome Star Trek: Online with open arms. It's about time someone made a decent Star Trek game. And in case you didn't know, it's an MMO-game. It's bound to have some similarities to World of Warcraft. That doesn't make it a bad game. Plus, the wonderful people over at Cryptic Studios are working closely with CBS to ensure that whatever they come up with stays true to Star Trek. I bet you didn't know that.

Anyway, closed beta sign-ups are now open! Head over to www.startrekonline.com and sign up for a chance to beta test Star Trek Online. I already submitted my application. Best of luck to everyone. :D

#27 Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 September 2009 - 19:59

Closed beta signups are open here.

#28 Minifig

Minifig

Kun Det Bedste Er Godt Nok!

Posted 04 September 2009 - 20:18

Oh believe me .. this is MUCH more for the trekkies and trekkers.

I've been talking with the Devs. :)

#29 Richard Hammond

Richard Hammond

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 September 2009 - 20:27

I am a huge trekkie and have been for nearly 20 years and im not optimistic.

#30 Raktael

Raktael

Neowinian

Posted 04 September 2009 - 21:43

I've been following this for a long time, before cryptic took over actually when the original STO was ditched. These guys have a lot better ideas, the character customisation is better, then you can choose federation or klingon and ground missions etc. I can't wait for this tbh and this and SW: Old Republic might be the only games in the next year or so that bring me back to PC gaming as I've gone totally to console now...

fingers crossed :)