Dell Dimension E310 desktop with Windows 7

I own this computer and it currently has Windows XP Media Center edition on it. I inserted new RAM and now has 2 gigs of RAM. Here is the link to specs:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/dell-dime...?tag=mncol;rnav

Since it's just a basic desktop with no dual core chips inside. I was a hand me down by the way. If you are wondering this is not my primary desktop. My primary desktop computer is a custom built computer. I will probably give this computer to my sister who is in need of a computer but doesn't have money for a computer.

She will use it for talking to relatives through Skype, Genealogy research, word processing, Internet usage and home banking. Sometimes our younger nieces come to my sister's house to play the occasional computer game like solitaire and spider solitaire. By the way I have another sister that lives about an hour and a half away from her.

I told her I can purchase Windows 7 for her when it gets released and install it for her.

I have read and read some more that Windows 7 is better than Windows XP. But all those articles talk about newer machines. This machine is pretty old today by tech standards. I just want her to benefit the most from this computer I will be giving her.

So with that said should I leave Windows XP Home Edition on this computer or install Windows 7 Home Premium when it gets released next month?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm guessing your sister doesn't mind if the computer has Windows XP or Windows 7 on it. She can do those things on Windows XP just as well as she could on Windows 7, so in this way it might not be worth buying Windows 7.

However, that machine can run Windows 7. Depending on its graphics card, it may or may not be able to use Aero. If you really want your sister using the latest Windows OS, then by all means buy Windows 7.

If the machine can run it (and it seems like it can) than please do go with Windows 7, if only for security. Get rid of that insecure OS called Windows 5.1! :p

I agree she will be much happier with windows 7, plus more secure, over all much more robust OS.

I agree she will be much happier with windows 7, plus more secure, over all much more robust OS.

Thank you all for the quick feedback. My sister has used my parents computer which has Windows Vista on it. She prefers the look and feel compared to Windows XP.

One last question. Does anybody here know of any good websites that puts Windows XP vs Windows 7 for older computers like my sisters computer. Some website that isn't bias. Someone that will be way bias is a guy like Paul Thurott. lol.

The reason I ask that question is because I can send my sister the link and have her decide what she wants either Windows XP or Windows 7.

She does care about security, performance, ease of use not necessarily in that order. She likes the look and feel but its not something that she will use to base her decision on.

As people have already said, it will have better security and ease of use compared to XP. Hardware support is better and it is much better at finding drivers for you if you add something or plug something in. This is important for less tech savvy folks who may not know how to track down drivers for a printer or webcam or something.

The only downside to that machine is the GMA 900 graphics chipset but it will still run Win7. It may not be able to do the transparency but otherwise it will be fine. From what I am reading people had issues getting transparency working in the beta but that it may work with an updated driver. Not having a computer with this outdated graphics chipset I can't test this personally.

If it does not work with transparency and that is important to you, you can always get a very basic video card for $35-55 and you will have no problem with transparency and other aero effects.

As people have already said, it will have better security and ease of use compared to XP. Hardware support is better and it is much better at finding drivers for you if you add something or plug something in. This is important for less tech savvy folks who may not know how to track down drivers for a printer or webcam or something.

The only downside to that machine is the GMA 900 graphics chipset but it will still run Win7. It may not be able to do the transparency but otherwise it will be fine. From what I am reading people had issues getting transparency working in the beta but that it may work with an updated driver. Not having a computer with this outdated graphics chipset I can't test this personally.

If it does not work with transparency and that is important to you, you can always get a very basic video card for $35-55 and you will have no problem with transparency and other aero effects.

Cool thank you. I'm going to check out newegg and see if I can get a basic video card for my sister. You and all the others that replied to my post convinced me Windows 7 is the way to go. bye bye Windows XP.

Thanks again.

Sounds decent enough to run Windows 7 to me. As suggested, a decent video card (from the specs it look like it can run PCI-E 1.0 cards) that is Aero-capable should allow the system to run fairly smoothly. Nice thing your doing for your sister by the way. :)