What Language do you use?

What programming language do you use most?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. What programming language do you use most?

• Basic
    • C++
    • C#
    • Delphi
    • Java
    • Logo
    • VB.net
    • VB

Question

I think the Academic edition has the capabilities of the Professional edition.( Same box color ) So, you won't be getting the features in Enterprise Developer/Architect. Those editions can include SQL Server, Visio, Commerce Server, Biztalk, Windows Advanced Server 2000, and Windows Enterprise Server 2003 plus some other tools. Technically speaking, there isn't any difference language-wise or feature-wise. The framework opens up the platform to any edition. The editions differentiate with the tools available to the developer, that's all.

Of course, the Academic edition comes with the licensing restriction of no commercial development.

Good good, I don't really need the Server stuff in Enterprise edition. As long as I can code, compile, make an executable file, etc it's all good. Hehe, don't think my stuff'll be good enough to sell anyways :laugh:

I think the Academic edition has the capabilities of the Professional edition.( Same box color ) So, you won't be getting the features in Enterprise Developer/Architect. Those editions can include SQL Server, Visio, Commerce Server, Biztalk, Windows Advanced Server 2000, and Windows Enterprise Server 2003 plus some other tools. Technically speaking, there isn't any difference language-wise or feature-wise. The framework opens up the platform to any edition. The editions differentiate with the tools available to the developer, that's all.

Of course, the Academic edition comes with the licensing restriction of no commercial development.

So you can't make a program and sell it with the academic edition legally? :o

Re the Academic Edition:

Not entirely certain, but I think the Academic Edition is a DIFFERENT version of VS.NET. It has some classroom-related functions in it as well as the Pro feature set.

Re the Academic Edition:

Not entirely certain, but I think the Academic Edition is a DIFFERENT version of VS.NET. It has some classroom-related functions in it as well as the Pro feature set.

what is the classroom functions?

I"m really surprised at this. Are you people in school using this? Or actually in the workplace? C++ is nothing short of rare in the workplace.

I'd imagine that would depend on what you were doing. If your doing business software, then yes, C++ isn't going to be seen. If you are a bonified engineer( a science degree ) of some sort, then C/C++ or asm is probably what you'll be using.

one question i really want the answer to is what programming language is the future of programming for windows... and mac... ;)

one question i really want the answer to is what programming language is the future of programming for windows... and mac... ;)

Who knows? I think that for windows, the language used will become irrelevant, but the platform will be mostly .Net. Mac, I don't know, objective C is what's used now, isn't it?

That will probably change in 5-10 years, too. Someone may invent a language/development methodology that we can't even conceive of yet. Hell, it may be one of you that does it! :)

I"m really surprised at this. Are you people in school using this? Or actually in the workplace? C++ is nothing short of rare in the workplace.

Err... no it isn't. C++ is one of the most widely used languages in the world. There's a HUGE amount of work using C++ so I don't know where you get that idea from!?!?!?

In my work I'm largely using C/C++/Java. I stay current on .NET (specifically using C#) and I've used over a dozen other languages (including several flavours of BASIC, assembly, Fortran, Forth, Pascal, etc.)

C++ isn't going anywhere and neither is C - they both have strong footholds in certain markets where VM-based machines are not going for a while yet - true real-time, mission-critical computing or in embedded systems. There are VMs available for these kinds of applications but they are bit-players at the moment.

For systems level programming on Windows, C and C++ are going to be king for a long time to come.

For applications level programming on Windows I think you're going to see C# begin to take over though C++ is still going to be high on the list.

I use delphi because thats the only language i can (except english and swedish) but next year i'm going to learn c++ in school then