Copy between HDDs - Not Working

Alright. Two issues.

I have 2 HDDs. C: is it's own HDD. D: and E: are a TB drive partitioned.

My music is in E: (Fat 32 - I don't know why).

Every so often, Winamp will just stop playing a song. It doesn't freeze, it just won't play, and then in about 5 minutes, it starts going again. That's the first issue, which I think maybe related to the next.

I'm trying to copy all my music to C: due to this.

Windows Explorer won't do it, it just hangs. So I'm in CMD doing it with xcopy. However, instead of running through all the music, it stalls.

It will do 10, then stop for a few minutes, do a few more, then stop.

What's going on? Is it the drive? is it because it's fat32?

I tried converting it using convert in CMD, and that also failed.

Have you already tried running diagnostics on both drives? (particularly the TB drive) Most HD manufacturers have downloadable ISO files you could burn to CD & run on your machine.

As to your other question, I doubt it has anything to do with the FAT32 formatting, though it might be a good idea to run something like:

chkdsk e: /f /x

a few times until there are no errors. FAT32 is likely to have things that need to be fixed from time to time.

Internal Sata II. It's a WD, about 6 months old.

Also another thing. uTorrent when downloading to this partition was causing 100% disc overloaded errors too.

Test Option: QUICK TEST

Model Number: WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1

Unit Serial Number: WD-X

Firmware Number: 01.01A01

Capacity: 1000.20 GB

SMART Status: PASS

Test Result: PASS

Test Time: 01:03:43, December 05, 2009

Also. It's only this one partition. The NTFS partition works fine with copying.

Check your drive cables. I had the same problem last month, even to the point where the secondary drive would rapture itself out of the device manager. I replaced the SATA cables and haven't had a problem since. I'd also do as lars77 suggested and do a full disk check. If the file system is corrupted it can cause long read/write delays.

Another thing, I don't know if it helps. I've just noticed all folders are read only, and most individual files are chowing as Archive under Attribute.

"I've just noticed all folders are read only"

Not this again!! No they are NOT -- your most likely reading the tri-mode flag box wrong.. Windows really doesn't even use the readonly attribute on folders anyway

I have gone over this so many times over the years I have lost count.. NO they are not read only.. That is just how the toggle works for the read only check box.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

"Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories, and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the folder is a special folder"

Here this is what your seeing right

post-14624-1259942531_thumb.jpg

Notice the R is not set on that folder

Even when I set it shows the same filled in box.. That box on folders is only there to allow you to toggle the settings for files in that folder.

post-14624-1259942592_thumb.jpg

Im not sure what exactly your issue is -- but I assure you it has NOTHING to do with the readonly attribute! Look on every single folder on your system and the read only box will be filled in -- You can not use explorer to view or change the read only attrib on folders.

"I've just noticed all folders are read only"

Not this again!! No they are NOT -- your most likely reading the tri-mode flag box wrong..

The person who designed that needs to have his cookie taken away.

Ok -- but thats how its been since I can remember.. I agree it could be spelled out a bit better for the common user to understand I guess ;)

but how would you design it so you could set or remove the read only attribute for all files in the folder? If you left it blank, how you you toggle it to remove, if showed a check mark file or files where set, how would you toggle it to set them?

Alright yeah, I've never noticed that before.

It's still slow as hell, and it won't convert to NTFS as it finds an ISO it can't convert. I've tried to do the copy without those files, and it's still a no go.