January 26 is International Australia Day

After five years of campaigning against unAustralian behaviour across the nation and urging us to unite over a lamb chop on Australia Day, Sam Kekovich is set to take his cause global.

Convinced that mankind is facing a pandemic that threatens its very existence - unAustralianism - Sam will ask the United Nations to declare 26 January International Australia Day in his 2010 Address.

Says Kekovich: "Our world would be a much better place if it were more Australian. If we all came together as mates over a lamb barbie - just as we do Down Under."

Sam's global vision is to have every citizen of the world throwing some chops on the grill on 26 January and proudly proclaiming "Ich bin ein Barbecuer".

As Australia's first 'Lambassador', Sam will depart the country today, embarking on a tour which will see him put his case to business, political and social leaders from the United Nations Headquarters in New York to Hollywood in Los Angeles.

On the eve of his inaugural mission as Lambassador, Sam received an honorary handshake from Federal Minister for Agriculture, Tony Burke.

"I wish Sam every success with his mission to share our unique Australian values and past times with the world, including enjoying a lamb chop on the barbie. It's a great thing for Australia and our lamb industry," Minister Tony Burke said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHH0Ebke-lU

Haha, nice. :rofl:

As silly as his proposal sounds, it's actually not that far-fetched and ridiculous. If everybody were like Australians, we might just get along better with each other...

his other videos are hilarious too :) He does it every year - the speeches I mean

Sam is a legend!

What a shame I'm working this Australia Day :(

I'll be celebrating at work I guess...

Be sure to eat lamb for lunch then :)

when i lived in Sydney/AUS, Australian day was fcuking great! Has to be the best day of the year, it seems everyone just drinks and has fun! The media blocks out all things to do with the aborigines screaming/cry/blaming the government about all the wrongs they have done to them. While here in NZ, its nothing, people just think its another day we have to listen to all the Maori's screaming/cry/blaming for all the wrongs that happen to them.

I've never understood the point of Australia day, it just seems to be a random public holiday.

Other countries have their own celebration days, but they mean more than just "yay, this continent we live on exists"

Australia day is about the day that the federation was founded.

It's gotten out of hand nowadays. When I was little, it was all serious. Real patriotism stuff like recongisation of important figures (handing out medals and awards) in communities around Australia. And about getting together and having fun the Australian way like playing background cricket and having a barbie. This is the day where markets are operating in many communities around Australia. Back then, it was so much fun.

Nowadays it's mostly about drinking, drinking and drinking and getting drunk. Sitting around talking trash.

I've never understood the point of Australia day, it just seems to be a random public holiday.

Other countries have their own celebration days, but they mean more than just "yay, this continent we live on exists"

Other countries have Independence Day. We don't. That's why we need to make something up to celebrate :D

Australia Day is about BBQ's and Beer. :)

It's not about our country anymore, we just love having days off work, which is why we love our Queen's birthday holidays, since we have like 2-3 of em every year.

Australia day is about the day that the federation was founded.

Actually, Australia Day commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet, not federation (which took place on the 1st of January, 1901).

Actually, Australia Day commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet, not federation (which took place on the 1st of January, 1901).

omg, quick someone preserve this specimen he seems to know what were actually meant to be celebrating!

omg, quick someone preserve this specimen he seems to know what were actually meant to be celebrating!

I know what you mean! You have no idea how many people think January 26 is Federation Day. In their defense though, it does make much more sense to be celebrating the union of the colonies into the Commonwealth of Australia than it does to celebrate the arrival of the first bunch of convicts. But, if I'm being truly honest, and truly Australian, who cares what it celebrates? It's a day off work and a good excuse for a bbq and ****up!!

I know what you mean! You have no idea how many people think January 26 is Federation Day. In their defense though, it does make much more sense to be celebrating the union of the colonies into the Commonwealth of Australia than it does to celebrate the arrival of the first bunch of convicts. But, if I'm being truly honest, and truly Australian, who cares what it celebrates? It's a day off work and a good excuse for a bbq and ****up!!

By not remembering what we are meant to be celebrating, or defining a new symbolism for what the day should stand for, it just degenerates into a day for bogans to run amock bearing an Australian flag in a show of ugly patriotism.