Whats wrong with my laptop?

Your LCD is broken. Someone dropped it and put it back and didn't tell you cuz they didn't want to get in trouble :shifty:

no no one dropped it i just turned it on and thats what happened

If nobody dropped it then someone punched it. That's not a software problem, that's the lcd itself. It looks like it was damaged

Hi, today I turned my laptop on and my screen looked like in the picture below, and I dunno whats wrong with it..can anyone diagnosis it?

Looks like the LCD cracked under pressure. :)

Might be a graphics issue, but it's the first I've seen of something like that.

It must have had some kind of impact. Someone may have stepped on it in the night, or something.

The impact came from the top right side of the display, probably.

It's broken, and no warranty will cover this. House insurance?

I really dont know what happened to it, it was my brothers laptop and he just turned it on one day and thats how it was he said. Would it be possible to use a regular monitor with the laptop?

I really dont know what happened to it, it was my brothers laptop and he just turned it on one day and thats how it was he said. Would it be possible to use a regular monitor with the laptop?

Yes, if the laptop has a vga port which I'm sure it does.

like others have said, its cracked.

the clean curves on the black areas combined with the lines in both directions and the quite obvious crack in the upper right corner give it away as being a cracked LCD. if it wasn't dropped, then it was sat on, or punched.

the glossy layer on top of the actual screen glass is what is holding it together. otherwise you would have sharp pieces of glass everywhere and a nice mess of liquid crystal.

if thats a 15.4 inch widecreen (looks like it) than $90 on ebay should easily get you a replacement LCD panel.

alright well heres another problem i have, my lcd external monitor i have recently stopped working on me..i have no clue why, but when i connect it to the laptop the power button just blinks over and over again on the monitor and i dont know whats wrong, any ideas?

like others have said, its cracked

the clean curves on the black areas combined with the lines in both directions and the quite obvious crack in the upper right corner give it away as being a cracked LCD. if it wasn't dropped, then it was sat on, or punched.

if thats a 15.4 inch widecreen (looks like it) than $90 on ebay should easily get you a replacement LCD panel

That Gateway looks old. Instead of wasting $90 for a replacement LCD panel and then paying extra to install it, I would just spend that money on a decent LCD screen. Otherwise, buying a new computer would be your best bet. It could be a hazard to keep using the laptop with a broken screen.

connect the monitor to the laptop, turn the monitor on, then turn the laptop on

thats a Gateway right? it should autodetect the external monitor. if not, press *reaches over for the Gateway i just built out of parts* Fn-F4 with the laptop and monitor both on.

alright well heres another problem i have, my lcd external monitor i have recently stopped working on me..i have no clue why, but when i connect it to the laptop the power button just blinks over and over again on the monitor and i dont know whats wrong, any ideas?

Do you have the correct input selected?

Yeah, you need to manually switch the display from LCD to External LCD.

Key should be Fn+F4 on a Gateway keyboard.

alright thanks that seemed to work lol. what about if i wanted to do it with my desktop though...the whole F4 option to change the display or whatever it was

lol **** that i got my external monitor to work that wasnt working about a few weeks ago and i tried that F4 option someone here said to try and the power button stopped blinking and just stayed solid and it was good from there..but how do I do that option for desktops, cause I wanna see if I can get this monitor back with my desktop, I'm usin a crappy 19'' non-widescreen monitor and my other one I thought was broke is a 21'' wide monitor lol

desktops are automatic in that sense

if it isn't working on a desktop but another monitor is, there is a small possiblity that the monitor just doesn't like the desktop's video card

it happens, very rarely