Photo

Online Gaming on a 3G Dongle Connection?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

Posted 01 February 2010 - 15:38

Is it possible to play multiplayer games, such as TF2, UT3 and Guild Wars in a 3G Dongle Connectio (About 2mbit im guessing).

Thanks,
[C].

#2 +Lovell

Lovell

,l,(-.-),l,

Posted 01 February 2010 - 15:46

Depends on what your upload is, the problem with dongles is it's usually to low to play games.

#3 OP c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

Posted 01 February 2010 - 15:50

Depends on what your upload is, the problem with dongles is it's usually to low to play games.

But i heard MMORPG's only take up a few MB every hour =\

#4 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 01 February 2010 - 15:54

World of Warcraft When in Dalaran (current major city in the game) uses ~88Mb per hour of bandwidth. However when using a 3G dongle there is noticeable latency issues everywhere in the game not just in Dalaran

#5 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 February 2010 - 16:29

3G is not good for online gaming because of latency.

#6 SuperHumanly

SuperHumanly

Neowinian

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:15

do a speed test at http://speedtest.net and post your results, then we can better judge if it will work :]

#7 ReDFoX2200

ReDFoX2200

Neowinian

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:10

I use my 3G Dongle for online gaming :) and it is almost 2 years I have been using it. I Will tell you all details :)
I have 4 3G dongles (Huawei E160G, Huawei E1550, Vodafone K3715, ZTE MF100).
The only modem that support fast upload (HSUPA) speed is the Vodafone K3715.
all others only support HSDPA.

Oky mostly I play Quake live online (France Servers).
With normal land line DSL I get around 70 - 90 ping
with (Huawei E160G, Huawei E1550) I get around 130-150
with Vodafone K3715 (HSUPA) I get around 100- 150

more or less it is the same ping when I play UT3, UT2004, UT, HL, HL:CS, HL2:DM

Signal strength affect the ping dramatically.

with Huawei E160G, Huawei E1550, ZTE MF100 I get a signal around (with supplied software 90%) but I believe I get around (70%)

with Vodafone K3715 due to HSUPA I get a lower signal strength (with supplied software 70%) but I believe I get around (50%)
I believe that supplied software give better reading that what the actual signal is.

I'm thinking about getting and external antenna and see if it helps. I also want to get an option globesurfer iii router.

#8 SimplySchizo

SimplySchizo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:16

3G is not good for online gaming because of latency.

This. You can get great speeds, but the latency is what will kill you. 

I get dsl speeds off my 3g connection. But the latency is :pinch:

Should do well with guild wars, though fps's... not so well. idk do a pingtest. dont worry about the speeds.

#9 OP c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:18

I use my 3G Dongle for online gaming :) and it is almost 2 years I have been using it. I Will tell you all details :)

more or less it is the same ping when I play UT3, UT2004, UT, HL, HL:CS, HL2:DM

Signal strength affect the ping dramatically.

I'm thinking about getting and external antenna and see if it helps. I also want to get an option globesurfer iii router.

We will probably will have have to go with "3" or T-Mobile for the 3G Dongle itself, along with a external antenna obviously on the roof to get the best possible signal. Also, we will have a powerline network (internet uses electricity network) to get internet around the house with several booster along the way.

What would you gets reccomend in terms of routers?

#10 ReDFoX2200

ReDFoX2200

Neowinian

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:42

We will probably will have have to go with "3" or T-Mobile for the 3G Dongle itself, along with a external antenna obviously on the roof to get the best possible signal. Also, we will have a powerline network (internet uses electricity network) to get internet around the house with several booster along the way.

What would you gets reccomend in terms of routers?

There is 2 types of 3G routers one that takes the 3G dongle in a USB port and the other that has build in modem (all you need is insert the SIM card)

After searching comparing I believe I will go GlobeSurfer III (which doesnt need an external dongle it has build it modem, also reviews says it has a really good internal antenna)

http://www.option.co...s/globesurfer3/

About getting external antenna, it is not as simple as it sounds it is a complex story. If you not careful you will get a worse signal strength with the external antenna, connection cables resistance and length could make ur experience a night mare.

Im not happy with my 3G dongles I really don't like the quality of Huawei products, really poor quality.
On thing you should also know is that not all donglos and modems have a port for external antenna.
so watch out u might buy a dongle and later find out u cant connect it to an external antenna.

#11 OP c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:31

I wouldnt have a wireless network for sure, i would only have a wired network. :) Although having both options would be nice.. for my ipod touch etc.

#12 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:13

I've been using 3G to play internet games for a while. It depends on your provider and your connection, but it's been fine for me for everything but action games.

A booster antenna can help if your signal is questionable.

#13 OP c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:44

I've been using 3G to play internet games for a while. It depends on your provider and your connection, but it's been fine for me for everything but action games.

A booster antenna can help if your signal is questionable.

Hmm.. okay, which of the below games do you think would be playable -
Unreal Tournament 3 (Or 2004).
Team Fortress 2.
Guild Wars.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

#14 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:03

Guild Wars. The others are possible, but it really depends on your setup. I mean, 3g is a shared experience, so it depends on towers, signal quality, overall load...lots of things.

I live on a farm with relatively poor quality, so I don't even try the action games. If I lived in town I'm sure I'd have more to say on that.

On Verizon with an Alltel modem, so I can't vouch for any other ISPs of course. They're pretty damn good on my laptop in town, but my laptop isn't really good enough for action gaming.

#15 OP c3ntury

c3ntury

Say whaa?

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:03

Guild Wars. The others are possible, but it really depends on your setup. I mean, 3g is a shared experience, so it depends on towers, signal quality, overall load...lots of things.

I live on a farm with relatively poor quality, so I don't even try the action games. If I lived in town I'm sure I'd have more to say on that.

On Verizon with an Alltel modem, so I can't vouch for any other ISPs of course. They're pretty damn good on my laptop in town, but my laptop isn't really good enough for action gaming.

Im am moving to a large house in the middle of the country haha, so i can imagine i will have the same signal issues as yourself. Im willing to basically "throw" money at this, so if anyone can tell me the best way to get a decent setup (which modem is the best) i would be thankful :D The signal will be transferred around the house using a PowerLine setup.,