HBO's Game of Thrones

Well at least you got a personal opinion

Indeed.

Neither of them is any Wheel of Time anyway.

Nor there's something that deserves a GOOD tv adaption. with lots and lots of money in the effects budget.

Just my personal opinion again, but WoT isn't a patch on GRRM's Ice & Fire series either. He strung it out far too long with far too much filler, and ended up dying before he could even finish it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't know they were making a show based on this series. How depressing will this show be? I only read the first 2 (maybe 3???) but I'm sure the newer book(s) aren't any cheerier so it'll be depressing from start to finish. :laugh:

I'll watch it, though. :rofl:

I'll watch it but Game of Thrones wasn't very good fantasy to begin with, so it might have half a chance. Its just far too depressing and ugly. Not a bad series mind you, but not good sword and sorcery. For some reason that genre especially doesn't translate well to live action.

Its disgusting what they did to the Sword of Truth series (the poor man's WoT) and for that very reason I'd never hope any other series be turned in to a tv serial. I don't think its fair to say a dying man was milking his franchise. The first six or seven book are still easily some of the best fantasy ever penned.

Maybe having a series will actually get him to hurry up on his next book, he takes an abnormally long time to write. At his age i'm not even sure he will finish the series by his death.

I'll watch it but Game of Thrones wasn't very good fantasy to begin with, so it might have half a chance. Its just far too depressing and ugly. Not a bad series mind you, but not good sword and sorcery. For some reason that genre especially doesn't translate well to live action.

Its disgusting what they did to the Sword of Truth series (the poor man's WoT) and for that very reason I'd never hope any other series be turned in to a tv serial. I don't think its fair to say a dying man was milking his franchise. The first six or seven book are still easily some of the best fantasy ever penned.

And the newest books that are partially written Brandon Sanderson are actually quite good as well. I'll be checking out his other series in the near future.

Yup, I posted in the hobby forum but I've been quite happy with Sanderson so far and knowing that closure is but a year and a half away makes me :) I'll give Jordan the benefit of the doubt. I think he knew where he wanted to go but got lost in the forest getting there. I blame the meds. It can happen to the best intrepid adventurer.

I'm just consistantly surprised by TV/Movie houses that purchase the IP then feel the need to change it almost immediately. While SoT was never great, it did have a certain charm but the grass****ers behind the lens couldn't even go 10 minutes before deviating from it. If you want to just make **** up save your cash and write your own. ****ty soaps persist for years but it seems a foregone conclusion that any story that stays true to its source will be cancelled almost immediately. Especially worrisome with the in hobbit sized season lengths across the pond.

• 1 month later...
Circle April 17 on your calendars. That?s the day HBO will premiere Game Of Thrones, the highly anticipated fantasy series based on George R.R. Martin?s literary phenom.

woot! :woot:

I wonder if they'll keep the brutality and ruthlessness of the books. Looking forward to the show in any case. :laugh:

It's HBO produced , so that's very much a given. :)

Game Of Thrones producer David Benioff has hinted that the show will be controversial.

According to Access Hollywood, Benioff explained that HBO has allowed the series to include scenes of sex and violence.

"One of the things that had to be done with [my previous project] Troy is so many things had to be cut because we were trying to do a two-and-a-half hour movie and tell this massive, massive story," he said.

"Here, because we have 10 hours to tell the story, we're able to include all the major characters... and we're able to do it the way [author] George [R. R. Martin] does it in the books in terms of the darkness of it and the violence of it and the sexuality of it, which a major studio would never let you do, even if you're lucky enough to get an R rating. This is beyond R."

Benioff, who explained that the show is about "power", added: "A lot of people get killed. George's world is a violent world - there's a lot of killing and bloodshed and eviscerations and decapitations and there's a lot of sex. It's one of the things that I loved about these books."

Game Of Thrones will premiere on HBO on April 17. The show will air on Sky Atlantic in the UK.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a297256/game-of-thrones-is-beyond-rated-r.html

• 1 month later...

This show is going to be unbelievably awesome. New trailer is great, and to top the week off, the 5th book (of a projected 7), A Dance With Dragons, has a release date, July 12th, both sides of the pond.