Record optical out (SPDIF) ?

Question

My computer uses optical out (SPDIF) to hook up to my stereo. I was hoping that I could find software that can record what's being output by the optical out. Audacity can't seem to do it, and neither can wavepad. Any ideas? Is this because the sound is being decoded by the stereo and is digital, not analog?

13 answers to this question

It doesn't matter the output you're using, you should still be able to record. I remember I couldn't record through any output, I updated my sound card drivers and the problem was magically resolved! Try updating to the latest drivers and make sure you visit Audacity's preferences. It's not a matter of software I think. Try it!

It doesn't matter the output you're using, you should still be able to record. I remember I couldn't record through any output, I updated my sound card drivers and the problem was magically resolved! Try updating to the latest drivers and make sure you visit Audacity's preferences. It's not a matter of software I think. Try it!

Fully updated already, with the latest realtek drivers. Its an Abit ip-35 pro motherboard with onboard spdif out. Selecting output as input just isn't an option in any of the software. If i were to hook up regular analog stereo equipment, it allows me to select that output as input though. (Tested with headphones)

make the default recording device "what u hear". This should work just dandy

Maybe this was an option in xp, but I don't see it anywhere in Windows 7.

I know it's a dumb question, but it's not at the bottom when you scroll down, is it?

here's mine on x64 win 7:

EDIT: Looking around on the net I find that yours is a common problem with realtek cards. Not all their drivers support the "what u hear" function for some reason. In this case I would just loop back by hooking up the optical out to the optical input and recording the input by making the "realtek digital input" your default

post-26264-12678318084945_thumb.jpg

Thats really awesome you have that, must be part of the x-fi stuff. It's not on mine. I have something called stereo mix, and using it doesnt work. And its disabled by default. No what u hear option here.

It seems the only option is to get an audio card that actually has a "stereo out" or "what you hear" option. Then again, come on, you know how bad motherboard audio cards are ;)