Firefox Perfection

For a long time now I have used Firefox, since 1.0 days. It's also always been a RAM hog for me, yes I am one of those people. It's also, at least for awhile been having freeze/skipping issues, where everything from clicking a button, scrolling, to videos would freeze, then go, then freeze.

Now I figured I have to live with this because I have

Enabled Extensions: [62]

- Adblock Plus 1.1.3

- Better GCal 0.3

- Better Gmail 2 0.9.8.1

- Better GReader 0.8.3

- Better YouTube 0.4.3

- BetterPrivacy 1.47

- BookmarkMenuHider 0.1.0

- Boost for Facebook 9.9.2

- CheckPlaces 2.1.0

- CLEO 4.3

- ColorfulTabs 4.3

- Combine Buttons 0.4.8

- Compact Menu 2 3.1.1

- Coral IE Tab 1.80.20100224

- CustomizeGoogle 0.76

- CyberSearch 2.0.4

- Download Statusbar 0.9.6.7

- Exch 1.4.5

- Extended Statusbar 1.5.4

- Fasterfox Lite 3.8.2Lite

- Favicon Picker 3 0.5

- FEBE 6.3.2

- Fission 1.0.9

- Forecastfox 0.9.10.2

- Free Realms Installer 1.0.3.102

- Gmail Manager 0.6

- gReactions 0.1e

- ImageHost Grabber 1.6.3

- Integrated Gmail 2.6.0b2

- Java Console 6.0.18

- LastPass 1.66.0

- Linkification 1.3.8

- Locationbar? 1.0.5

- Memory Fox 1.4.4

- Menu Editor 1.2.6

- Menu Icons Plus 1.8

- MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.4

- NoScript 1.9.9.50

- Omnibar 0.6.8.20100227

- Organize Status Bar 0.6.4

- Personas 1.5.1

- Perspectives 3.0.3

- RAMBack 1.0

- Save File to 2.0

- Screengrab 0.96.2

- SearchPreview 4.1

- Shareaholic 1.9.6

- SkipScreen 0.3.20091214_AMO

- Smart Bookmarks Bar 1.4.3

- SmoothWheel (AMO) 0.45.6.20100202.1

- Speed Dial 0.9.5

- StumbleUpon 3.63

- Stylish 1.0.8

- Stylish-Custom 0.7.2

- Tab History 1.0.6

- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.8.2

- Toolbar Buttons 0.6.0.8

- Update Notifier 0.1.5.5

- URL Fixer 1.6

- visualizeus 0.5.3

- Web Developer 1.1.8

- Xmarks 3.5.7

Installed Themes: [1]

And I also have 42 Stylish Scripts installed as well (even though I believe those don't take as much). And I also have 8 to 15 tabs open at any giving time, and my Firefox only restarts if I install something new.

So I came to expect my Firefox to run between 300MB to 1GB at any giving time. The last week I have been fine tuning the scripts, replacing bulky addons with better ones if possible, making sure I have the least amount of them as well. I also found an amazing addon called Memory Fox which I think did most of the work. Don't know what it does. But with that addon and everything else I have fiddled with, I am running between 5MB to 150MB at any giving time now. It's been running nice and smooth like a charm the past 3 days now, I don't know if it will always last, but its awesome.

post-21166-12684444752279_thumb.jpg

I'll have to check that out. I don't have near that many addons running, but on one machine, it could use all the help it can get. Thanks.

Have you ever heard of Firefox Addon Maker? Very neat app to create a silent installer of FF with all your installed addons, cookies, bookmarks, useful in case you do a fresh install. You don't have to lose time with installing everything again.I've been using it for years. Very useful app. Check it out! http://sourceforge.net/projects/firefoxaddonmak/

Off-topic, but which script did you use which lets you apply the header image to Neowin's forums?

You can find that here: http://userstyles.org/styles/24542

Have you ever heard of Firefox Addon Maker? Very neat app to create a silent installer of FF with all your installed addons, cookies, bookmarks, useful in case you do a fresh install. You don't have to lose time with installing everything again.I've been using it for years. Very useful app. Check it out! http://sourceforge.net/projects/firefoxaddonmak/

I use FEBE & CLEO for that, just as easy.

I'll have to check that out. I don't have near that many addons running, but on one machine, it could use all the help it can get. Thanks.

Yea I assume everyone will have different results, but should help.

You can find that here: http://userstyles.org/styles/24542

I use FEBE & CLEO for that, just as easy.

FEBE doesn't even come close to Firefox Addon Maker. It builds a silent installer or an addon for silent installations, depends on what you prefer. And it uses clean files from the current Firefox installer from mozilla's server.

You don't really need that unless your files were corrupted somehow. You only need your Firefox profile and the Firefox folder, they contain all your plugins and data. All you have to do is change the location in profiles.ini to point to the new location, then copy the profile folder.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profiles.ini_file

E.g.

[Profile0]

Name=default

IsRelative=0

Path=C:\myoldprofile\blarhg12354.default

[Profile0]

Name=default

IsRelative=0

Path=D:\mynewprofile\blarhg12354.default

Sheesh, I feel like I am missing something now. When I was a heavy FireFox user I had maybe 5 add-ons...

Looks like a solid setup.

You don't really need that unless your files were corrupted somehow. You only need your Firefox profile and the Firefox folder, they contain all your plugins and data. All you have to do is change the location in profiles.ini to point to the new location, then copy the profile folder.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profiles.ini_file

E.g.

[Profile0]

Name=default

IsRelative=0

Path=C:\myoldprofile\blarhg12354.default

[Profile0]

Name=default

IsRelative=0

Path=D:\mynewprofile\blarhg12354.default

Interesting take on it. I will probably keep using FEBE & CLEO, it backs up every week. And all I do is install Firefox, load the cleopack and I am done.

Sheesh, I feel like I am missing something now. When I was a heavy FireFox user I had maybe 5 add-ons...

Looks like a solid setup.

I have had it at 70 extensions before. I tend to try to clean some out once in awhile, not any random crap. And I would say there are different ideas of a heavy Firefox user, one being you use it a crap ton and multitask your websites. And then of course one who installs a crap ton extensions and customizes it like crazy. Both awesome :)

Me too. I'm tempted to install all of these addons just to be tricked out like this.

Me too. I'm tempted to install all of these addons just to be tricked out like this.

I remind you, there is quite a bit of playing with addon settings, and tweaking Script codes and all that to have it perfect. If not, it will be bloated lol

But it is fun to play with Firefox :)

Well, that's a lot of extensions. I like the smoothwheel extension, so thanks for that one.

You have the personas extension installed? I think that is integrated into the latest firefox.

Update notifier? Guess that is necessary if you have extensions that don't update from the mozilla update site.

I've found that the omnibar interferes with the way the address bar search works in the nightly builds...

The combine buttons extension can probably be replaced with stylish scripts.

Here's a suggestion. Pick ten and get rid of the rest. :whistle:

Yea there are Scripts that can do the combine buttons, I am just lazy to find the correct one.

I am only using 3.6 at the moment. Once 3.7 or later comes, there are going to be many things I need to change and remove.

And why remove the rest and keep 10? I use all of them.

*edit, found the combine buttons script :) http://userstyles.org/styles/10

It would be awesome if anyone could make a custom installer with all of those extensions pre-loaded.

Addon's Preloaded, settings preconfigured. Yes would be awesome. Yet if someone could do that, might as well wait for 3.7 or later, with the new UI layout and design. Cause things will be different.

Addon's Preloaded, settings preconfigured. Yes would be awesome. Yet if someone could do that, might as well wait for 3.7 or later, with the new UI layout and design. Cause things will be different.

Good idea, we wouldn't want anything broken now would we? :devil:

That is actually the only issue I have.

Installing any new theme, none of them work, they all break. Of course that Strata theme and all those transparent addons/scripts kills it. If I could get this layout but with transparency it would be awesome.

That is actually the only issue I have.

Installing any new theme, none of them work, they all break. Of course that Strata theme and all those transparent addons/scripts kills it. If I could get this layout but with transparency it would be awesome.

firetj.png

Wow.. that does look nice.

I had to disable quite a few scripts running, which made much of the saved space return. But looks pretty good. Will have to play around with those scripts to get them back.

I used AeroBuddy & Strata Lite to do this.

post-21166-12684581559141_thumb.jpg

Does location bar 2 actually work correctly with omnibar?

[edit] Apparently it does, but it's broken in the nightly builds.

I just realized that you titled this firefox perfection and on the first post you admit to freezing and skipping issues.

Kinda a contradiction there.

Does location bar 2 actually work correctly with omnibar?

[edit] Apparently it does, but it's broken in the nightly builds.

I just realized that you titled this firefox perfection and on the first post you admit to freezing and skipping issues.

Kinda a contradiction there.

No I said there was freezing and skipping issues before hand. Not any more.

By the way, CustomizeGoogle has been broken and apparently abandoned for some time. It has been carried on by someone else as OptimizeGoogle.

Yea I was not sure if it actually was doing anything or not so I left it. Thanks for that!

Since the start of this post, many things have changed, I went back to non-transparent because it works 100%. So I will post an update later.

Updated Results

Enabled Extensions: [57]

- Adblock Plus 1.1.3

- Better GCal 0.3

- Better Gmail 2 0.9.8.1

- Better GReader 0.8.3

- Better YouTube 0.4.3

- BetterPrivacy 1.47

- BookmarkMenuHider 0.1.0

- Boost for Facebook 9.9.2

- CheckPlaces 2.1.0

- CLEO 4.3

- ColorfulTabs 4.3

- Compact Menu 2 3.1.1

- Coral IE Tab 1.80.20100224

- CyberSearch 2.0.4

- Dcurrency 0.3.5

- Download Statusbar 0.9.6.7

- Extended Statusbar 1.5.4

- Fasterfox Lite 3.8.2Lite

- Favicon Picker 3 0.5

- FEBE 6.3.2

- Fission 1.0.9

- Forecastfox 0.9.10.2

- Free Realms Installer 1.0.3.102

- Gmail Manager 0.6

- ImageHost Grabber 1.6.3

- Integrated Gmail 2.6.0b2

- Java Console 6.0.18

- LastPass 1.66.0

- Linkification 1.3.8

- Locationbar² 1.0.5

- Memory Fox 1.4.4

- Menu Editor 1.2.6

- Menu Icons Plus 1.8

- MR Tech Toolkit 6.0.4

- NoScript 1.9.9.50

- Omnibar 0.6.8.20100227

- OptimizeGoogle 0.77

- Organize Status Bar 0.6.4

- Personas 1.5.1

- Perspectives 3.0.3

- Screengrab 0.96.2

- SearchPreview 4.1

- Shareaholic 1.9.6

- SkipScreen 0.3.20091214_AMO

- Smart Bookmarks Bar 1.4.3

- SmoothWheel (AMO) 0.45.6.20100202.1

- Speed Dial 0.9.5

- Stylish 1.0.8

- Stylish-Custom 0.7.2

- Tab History 1.0.6

- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.8.2

- Toolbar Buttons 0.6.0.8

- Update Notifier 0.1.5.5

- URL Fixer 1.6

- visualizeus 0.5.3

- Web Developer 1.1.8

- Xmarks 3.5.7

RAMBack was removed because it's not needed anymore because of Memory Fox.

SaveFileTo was removed because I never really used it, Firefox does a good enough job.

CustomizeGoogle was replaced with OrganizeGoogle

CombineButtons was replaced with a Stylish Script

StumbleUpon was removed because I used it very lightly, plus it would not move itself to the status-bar for some reason so I gave up lol

Etch was replaced with DCurrency (which I only used Etch because DCurrency was not working awhile back, forgot about it since)

Think there was 1 or 2 more that changed as well. Either way, was still running great. Changed the theme, cleaned up the toolbar, removed a few items to the status bar..so forth.

The one thing I have been trying to do, but every script written for it, and even the one I tried to write, causes problems with certain sites, or just does not work. And that is a script to remove the scrollbar, which I never use...Hopefully I can figure it out soon.

post-21166-12684692565258_thumb.jpg