Toshiba vs. HP: Quality/Durability

DISCLAIMER: This is my first post on the site. I tried to search for similar topics and didn't come up with anything that matches my problem, so please forgive me if someone has recently asked or if this is the wrong place for this post.

Hi everyone!

I'll be shipping off to college in the fall, and I need a good laptop for school activities and other related work. I would like a computer with a large hard drive, at least 4GB of ram, wireless b/g/n support, and a 64-bit version of Windows. I do nearly all of my shopping at Amazon.com, and I managed to narrow down the final candidates to these two computers: (scroll down to see the specifications)

HP Pavilion DV6-2162NR

Toshiba Satellite L505-GS5037

I don't really care about the difference in price. What is easily noticeable is that the hardware specs on both of these machines are nearly identical (the HP has just a slightly better processor and a higher RPM on the same size hard drive as the Toshiba). What I want to know is out of your experience, is one brand more durable than the other? I've experienced way too many problems on a crappy old Dell to go back to them. My Apple experience has been about average, but I have never dealt with any other brands. Please indicate what kinds of repairs you needed to fix or have worked on (any experiences with customer service would be nice as well:))

Thanks,

-- unintentional

(P.S. On an unrelated subject, if I got the Toshiba, does anyone know how to remove the Face Recognition component from the Windows login screen?)

HP sucks in general, i have a couple of firends with HP laptops and both of them had problems, one with the cooling fan and the other with the hdd, i would advise you to get the toshiba.

I don't know why or how people had a bad experience with HP. I have been using HP Desktops and Laptops for all of my life and it works wonderfully.

If it's between those two, the HP for sure. That Toshiba feels and looks like crap. In terms of hardware, neither is better than the other in dependability. Buy a Sony if you want a really well built Windows laptop.

I have honestly never had a good experience with an HP. It always fails... Even friends I've known that had HP had serious issues... As for Toshiba, I've never owned one, but a couple of friends have. They've never had problems. And they've had these machines for a LONG time...

In terms of quality durability, both HP and toshiba will be close. I haven't dealt with toshiba but HP warranty in Canada is a nightmare. I would rather just buy a new one rather deal with their warranty. On the other hand, have been very satisfied with Dell warranty. Bought a Inspiron when vista came out and i have flickering issues. turns out it was a driver issue but they replaced the whole laptop and upgraded some specs on the new one. for the XPS, again, had the dreaded Nvidia video card problem and they replaced the whole motherboard. The XPS casing had a crack b/c i dropped it accidently once but they replace that as well for free without even asking. the turn around time for me has been roughly 3-5 business day for the repairs.

if you are looking for well built laptop and dont mind spending a little bit more, I know that Sonystyle.ca has been selling similar i3 laptop like the one you posted for around 700 bucks. I am sure sonystyle.com would have similar deals as well. might want to check them out.

EDIT: here is the link to the sony laptop. http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644699998&N=4294953240

owned 1 toshiba and 3 hp laptops. The toshiba I got 11 years ago and although I did have the dvd drive die once, the machine was fine until just a couple months ago when it kicked the bucket. ALL the HP laptops have died within a year and a half.

Toshiba. I had like three HP laptops for school (because they were cheaper than a Apple laptop) and all ended up frying in a year. Video card I think. Bad cooling setup or something.

My dad has had a Toshiba since 2007 for stuff at work and it has only needed to have the HD replaced. I vote Toshiba. I would vote Dell over HP for laptops honestly >.>

Sure Dells are noisy and stuff but hey... atleast the fan works. HP isn't too noisy... but all mine fried =/ Toshiba is pretty quiet and it still doesn't fry.

I own a HP and my friend owns a toshiba and neither of us have had problems, but overall i think toshiba makes more durable laptops

I would recommend a Toshiba any day. I have a 4 & 1/2 year old Toshiba Satellite that still works perfectly. Not had to replace any of the parts, all factory originals. Even the battery still holds a decent charge. Although it originally came with Windows XP Home, it is now running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Whereas 3 of my friends have 3 different HP laptops, all a little over 1 year old and bought seperately; running Windows 7 reports that the battery is in need of a replacement. The battery charge hardly lasts, despite being a little over 1 year old only! And that is not the only problem; software and driver support is horrible, customer service is also pathetic, etc. All of them are not at all happy with their purchases and have vowed never to buy HP again.

Now I know, and as some people here have said, that not everyone faces problems with their HP laptops, but at least from what I have seen and hear, they are not a good option.

And to the person who recommended a VAIO, Sony laptops are not at all reliable. Sony should have stuck to making what they are good at, that is; Televisions, Music Systems and portable audio players.Many people I know have had a lot of issues with them. And these are not minor software issues. Some had their Motherboards die on them, sound cards failing etc.

On an unrelated subject, if I got the Toshiba, does anyone know how to remove the Face Recognition component from the Windows login screen?

AFAIK, that should be removable from Programs & Features in the Control Panel.

Cold hard reality: every major OEM (Dell, Sony, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo) has different product lines for consumers and businesses. The business class machines will have more consistent quality, be better supported, and last longer. The simple reason is that if the OEM screws over an individual consumer with a shoddy machine that falls apart two weeks after the default year-long warranty, they might lose a future sale or two. If the OEM screws over a corporate customer, they'll lose tens or even hundreds of thousands of sales.

If you're looking for a disposable or secondary (to a primary desktop machine), that will experience its first hardware failure within six months and require major hardware replacement after two years, then go ahead and buy a relatively cheap consumer-oriented model. If you're looking to rely on this laptop for work through three, four, or even five years of school, then look to the business-class laptops: ThinkPads, Vostros, Latitudes, and Precisions, and the Pro/Elitebooks.

Also be aware that since you're now a college student (presumably some institution has accepted you), you'll be eligible for academic discounts, either through your school's computer store, or directly via the OEM website. You should easily be able to get ~10% off, or possibly more, depending on the OEM and the final configuration that you choose. I believe my Dell laptop had an up-front 700$ discount, and I managed to top that off with an additional 16% discount. Finally, if you're intending to rely on this purchase for several years, don't skimp on the warranty. Get at least three years. Laptop components are heinously expensive to replace yourself, and over the period of a few years, a couple hundred bucks invested in a warranty will pay itself off.

• Like 2

If it's between those two, the HP for sure. That Toshiba feels and looks like crap. In terms of hardware, neither is better than the other in dependability. Buy a Sony if you want a really well built Windows laptop.

I'm currently running a sony vaio and my wife owned one in the past, had one in the office also. I never had more problems with a laptop then with a sony vaio. I still regret buying this one.

I second Lenovo. They bought IBM's brand of computers right? The Think Pads? Think Pad = Best Windows PC... EVER imho. Sure they aren't anything to look at but just try and break one.

My personal take. HPs are not terrible although lately they have had reports of engineering problems, just going by friends experiences with their laptops. HPs have always felt cheap to me. Toshiba on the other hand, they are decent, but customer support is beyond horrific. I have a few posts on here about that.

If you are only going with those 2 companies I would go with HP

Honestly there are only a handful of companies that I feel I can trust to make good products with good customer support

Dell

Lenovo

Sony

Apple

I've actually already seen that article... what I was looking for was human experience, but thanks for the link!:)

I happen to disagree with you about the Dell thing, as I have had a HORRID experience with their Inspiron line when Vista came out (same time, apparently). Thanks for the link to the Sony; as I said before, I tend to do all my shopping at Amazon because I have a fantastic discount/shipping combo deal, but will definitely be checking this out.

I would recommend a Toshiba any day. I have a 4 & 1/2 year old Toshiba Satellite that still works perfectly. Not had to replace any of the parts, all factory originals. Even the battery still holds a decent charge. Although it originally came with Windows XP Home, it is now running Windows 7 Ultimate.

AFAIK, that should be removable from Programs & Features in the Control Panel.

That's good to hear. The problems I have dealt with on my Dell were mainly having the battery fail, and having the hard drive slowly go corrupt...

If you're looking to rely on this laptop for work through three, four, or even five years of school, then look to the business-class laptops: ThinkPads, Vostros, Latitudes, and Precisions, and the Pro/Elitebooks.

Thanks for your great advice; I am aware of student discounts. I do plan on buying an extended warantee for this computer (my goal is to have it last 4 years with little or no problems). Can you recommend a business model with similar specs to the ones I'm currently looking at?

Thanks to everyone who has posted. All your advice has been extremely valuable. Please continue to post if you have any additonal comments!:D

Thanks,

-- unintentional

I'd say they're about the same. HP ruined their dv6 series machines when it came to ventilation though. You basically *had* to repair it after a year.

Dv6000 was the HP laptops I owned. =/ The video card always crashed like two days away from it being a year old. We finally gave up after repairing it twice. $300 a year to repair a laptop? No thanks!

Thanks for your great advice; I am aware of student discounts. I do plan on buying an extended warantee for this computer (my goal is to have it last 4 years with little or no problems). Can you recommend a business model with similar specs to the ones I'm currently looking at?

These models probably will hover around 900 - 1100$ with a student discount applied, Windows 7 Pro, and extended warranties.

Lenovo Thinkpad T510.

Dell Latitude E5500.

HP ProBook 4520s.

This is how it works:

HP are physically built very well and solid.

Toshiba are built very cheaply.

HP have average customer support.

Toshiba also have average customer support, probably not quite as good as HP.

HP are above average with durability.

Toshiba are below average with durability.

So overall HP seems to be a bit better than Toshiba. I know you only asked to compare those two but I would strongly, strongly recommend Lenovo if your budget permits it. :)

Also, welcome to Neowin, and good luck!

Dv6000 was the HP laptops I owned. =/ The video card always crashed like two days away from it being a year old. We finally gave up after repairing it twice. $300 a year to repair a laptop? No thanks!

the 5000, 6000 and 9000 series (and I think maybe some others, just check a model on HP.com it's the first note under service/support) all have a service note, regarding the issue, of unable to activate wlan, dead screen, unable to power and so on. Meaning free repair outside warranty.

Granted personally, I like living in a country with a law that says laptops have a 5 year mandatory warranty on production faults. which covers this anyway.

Personally , I don't mind HP though, in fact they'd probably be my second choice for laptops. but My first laptop was a Toshiba, after that I had some Acer and while i like my Acer, it was no Toshiba.Toshibas' are just solidly built all the way through. they feel solid. so now I'm back on Toshiba, yeah it's more expensive than the Acers, but it's worth it.

Dells however, ranks slightly below acer again. and Asus, besides the terrible built quality, too much problems and issues with repairs.

So overall HP seems to be a bit better than Toshiba. I know you only asked to compare those two but I would strongly, strongly recommend Lenovo if your budget permits it. :)

Also, welcome to Neowin, and good luck!

Thanks!;)

The more I search around, the more people recommend Lenovo to me, so I thought I would check them out. To whoever it was that recommended Sony, I did take a look, and decided that some of their features are a little out of my price range. Anyway, I checked out Lenovo, but I'm finding it really difficult to find a laptop with a Blu-ray drive on their website. I know they have them, and I'm impressed by their good word of mouth, but I can't seem to do this correctly *roll eyes*...

If someone could help point me to a laptop along these lines:

Intel i3 processor

300+GB HD

4GB DDR3 ram

Blu-ray player

Preferably between 14 and 16in screens.

Thanks everybody for all your help and opinion. I having taken your advice and will definitely be using it:D If you can help with the Lenovo website thing, then that would also be lovely.

-- unintentional