Project: Macbook Tablet

Very creative...

Once the calibration is fixed you'll be own your way. Do you plan to use this as a system? Or are you planing on selling it?

Im pretty sure I know what was going on with the calibration (aside from the fact I hadn't run the 25 point calibration yet), the top of the screen that I still have to cut properly was actually pressing inside the touchable area; which means every touch I did was thrown off. Once I get time on the weekend I will cut the corners out properly and that will stop the calibration going berko on me. I'll also solder in the usb connection for the screen controller and reduce it's cable down (damn thing is huge).

After the project is done I considered selling it, but I really want to use this at uni for things during lectures (like note taking, diagrams and lecture slides).

Chasethebase, the dust is absolutely insane and it's not something you want to breathe in. Most of it has settled though, but the clothes I wore will probably still smell like burning plastic even after being washed. :p

On second looks, to be honest, on a usability point of view the corners for the screen are a little bit too rounded, especially as it's chopping off the apple menu and part of the clock at the top. I think it would look much better if the radius of the rounded corners were not so big. ;)

It's awesome so far though, I just watched the videos and I love it!

On second looks, to be honest, on a usability point of view the corners for the screen are a little bit too rounded, especially as it's chopping off the apple menu and part of the clock at the top. I think it would look much better if the radius of the rounded corners were not so big. ;)

It's awesome so far though, I just watched the videos and I love it!

That's because of the bit I used, the cutting isn't actually finished and you'll see those corners go to points once I'm done ;) The same will go for the apple menu being cut off as well, it's all a matter of getting the margins right and I didn't want to cut too much, I'm more happy with too little and trimming.

also if you look closely there are still little bits hanging off the edges :p

That's because of the bit I used, the cutting isn't actually finished and you'll see those corners go to points once I'm done ;) The same will go for the apple menu being cut off as well, it's all a matter of getting the margins right and I didn't want to cut too much, I'm more happy with too little and trimming.

Cool, I think it might look awesome with very slightly rounded corners rather than it being completely rectangular but it is up to you :p

Cheers for the Digg Meph :p

So update on the touchscreen:

The manufacturer said that the peeling material wasn't the screen and it was a double protective overlay. So I tore that off this morning and it's damn immaculate. The screen clarity is obviously better, but there is now risk of the screen scratching against the case.

The plan at the moment is to get some thin adhesive felt and place that on the inside of the case at the margins on the touchable area, this should make sure that the screen isn't damaged if there is any movement. The other thing is I'm going to have to invert the screen frame again due to the felt adding a few more mm of thickness to the touch layer, so my space under the screen just got a little smaller.

I will do more work on this tomorrow, but things are looking better this morning :D

this is awesome but won't apple bit** about this since it's sorta copyright infringement? you must be really talented man to do all of this by yourself.

WOW! Impressive! You have done a good job with this, and in such little time too. You are vary talented. Keep up the good work! I'm interested on seeing the final result.

I was wondering about how Apple would react to this as well. But I can't imagine them having a problem. If anything maybe they'll take notice and ask you if you would like a job!

This is an amazing project. I'm very much looking forward to watching this all come together, and seeing the finished result.

I was wondering about how Apple would react to this as well. But I can't imagine them having a problem.

Apple would probably send him a C&D for damaging their intellectual properties. Also demanded him to send it back. A day after that a SWAT team would stormed his house.

Apple can't touch him. He bought the device, he can do what the hell he wants with it. If that includes converting to a tablet, so be it.

Sorted out the touch response issues and everything is working as it should now, I will have to sort out the internalisation of the usb connection and then it'll be fine to close her up permanently. There is still some case cleanup to go as well (the edges are horrible at the moment).

So I had a little fun:

Uploaded to youtube (might still be processing)

Also excuse the camera waving about, I have new found respect for product reviewers I really do.

Wow, brilliant project :)

Looks great, although the edges of the touch screen still look hidden by the case at the top on your latest video. Or is that just what the game looks like at the top with the little green/blue bars?

It's still partially hidden (but not as bad as before), the case cleanup hasn't been done, this was just me getting the touchscreen working properly. The last video showed just how bad it was with the previous iteration of screen mounting. The case cleanup is the next thing on my list, but at 11pm at night the lady next door wouldn't appreciate me going at it with power tools (and nor would her young children :p ).

The macbook tablet is now portable and usable; yes there are a few bits of clean up to do, but I can now sling it around. I will have to figure something out with the rotation as the options I've found at the moment aren't working so well. I'll install Snow Leopard on it now and see if that makes a difference.

Also a screen orientation test:

Currently the vertical orientation has some issues, but I am using an older version of mactilt at the moment (as I cannot seem to get the newer one to download)

Very nice work. :) What size SSD do you need? I have a 2 month old 64gb OCZ Vertex lying around doing nothing ever since I sold my laptop to get the MacBook Pro.

I'm not sure at this point,for the moment I'm running a usability trial over the weekend and seeing how I go treating it like I would the macbook pro. If I don't find myself moving it a great deal I may stick with a traditional drive, as of yet the device hasn't really moved a great deal. It's usually propped up on my lap or on an angled cooling stand.

I'm thinking at least 64Gb if I use an SSD, probably larger if I put more content on it. :D