Passat VR5

Hey people,

As some of you may know that I am getting my driver license back so I thought to buy me a car. I looked around and I really like to buy a Passat or Golf. I saw this one called Passat VR5, anyone knows if it's good/bad? Or if the motor is the same as Passat 1,8T? I need to know if it's the VR5 motor is like 1,8T Feul-Stingy or not? Thanks in advanced! :)

Info:

Volkswagen Passat VR5

Mileage: 25800 mil

Color: Silver met.

Body: Sedan

Year: 1998

P.S I looked around and didn't find any Car forum/thread so I posted here. Hope it's okay. :)

VR5 Passats are awesome, what configuration is that? Trendline, Comfortline or Highline? Highline is better...

VR5 Passats are awesome, what configuration is that? Trendline, Comfortline or Highline? Highline is better...

How do I have to know that? oO .. Anyway, here is a pic of the car, hope you'll know what it is. :)

post-255889-12728078576501.jpg

Been around for about 11 years now! (VW Golf went on sale in Europe with the 150BHP V5 engine in 1999!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V5_engine

Not especially fuel efficient though and not very quick, especially in heavy cars like the Passat. Sounds nice though and unsurprisingly, being derived from the VR6 engine and being a 2.3 5 cylinder engine, it sounds like a weird hybrid of VW's VR6 and the legendery Audi 5 cylinder engine.

Been around for about 11 years now! (VW Golf went on sale in Europe with the 150BHP V5 engine in 1999!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V5_engine

Not especially fuel efficient though and not very quick, especially in heavy cars like the Passat. Sounds nice though and unsurprisingly, being derived from the VR6 engine and being a 2.3 5 cylinder engine, it sounds like a weird hybrid of VW's VR6 and the legendery Audi 5 cylinder engine.

Do you mean it's a good car? I don't know much about cars and sorry if I ask some dumb questions. I work as an IT-Consultant and I drive a lot in town and hope it's ok for my pocket and not expensive. :/

I have heard that Passat 1,8T is almost the same as VR5, is that right? I mean the engine consumes a lot of gas. :)

I'd probably go for the 'standard' four cylinder 1.8T; there's quite a few of them still available on the second-hand market both in Sweden, and also in Germany if you're thinking about doing an import.

The engine itself is very reliable, fuel efficient and also performing quite well considering it's size.

The only slightly negative thing I could think of really is that the turbo is lagging behind like a second at low rev's.

that seems like comfortline... not bad, if present in your country, you can buy a diesel version. i love this model passats...

Do you mean it's a good car? I don't know much about cars and sorry if I ask some dumb questions. I work as an IT-Consultant and I drive a lot in town and hope it's ok for my pocket and not expensive. :/

I have heard that Passat 1,8T is almost the same as VR5, is that right? I mean the engine consumes a lot of gas. :)

They're very different engines. The short and skinny is that the 1.8T will probably give you better economy and better performance. The VR5 will feel smoother and sound nicer.

I'd probably go for the 'standard' four cylinder 1.8T; there's quite a few of them still available on the second-hand market both in Sweden, and also in Germany if you're thinking about doing an import.

The engine itself is very reliable, fuel efficient and also performing quite well considering it's size.

The only slightly negative thing I could think of really is that the turbo is lagging behind like a second at low rev's.

Yeah, there are alot of second-hand here in Sweden and I have seen a few but we didn't agree on the price and yesterday I went and bought the VR5. It feels great and I am liking it so far.

that seems like comfortline... not bad, if present in your country, you can buy a diesel version. i love this model passats...

Yeah, I love those too and I always wanted to buy one and now I have the VR5 and this will be my first car. :D

They're very different engines. The short and skinny is that the 1.8T will probably give you better economy and better performance. The VR5 will feel smoother and sound nicer.

Yeah, it feels smooth and nice and I'm loving it so far. I'll just have to buy a good stereo and some good speakers and a good subwoofer. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the help guys! <3