"Dredd" Judge Dredd Reboot

judgedreddt.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: The best way to get Cannes buyers hot and bothered is to come to market with a branded property that has potentially big commercial appeal, cool elements and a reasonable budget. Here's one that fits that bill: Andrew Macdonald?s DNA Films has made a deal with India-based Reliance Big Entertainment and IM Global to finance Judge Dredd, a 3D film that was scripted by Alex Garland, and will be directed by Pete Travis, best known for Vantage Point and Omagh. The film will be shopped at the festival by IM Global, in the first collaboration since Reliance bought a majority stake in Stuart Ford's foreign sales company.

While Judge Dredd is perhaps best remembered for the forgettable 1995 action film that starred Sylvester Stallone, Macdonald went back to the franchise?s DNA to completely overhaul the film and bring it back to its origins as the UK comic created by John Wagner and illustrated by Carlos Ezquerra. Dredd is set in a futuristic world filled with violence, and the character is empowered to act as judge, jury and executioner. Garland's best known for writing the novel The Beach, and scripting the Danny Boyle-directed scifi film Sunshine and 28 Days Later. He also wrote the script for a movie version of the Microsoft game Halo that was scrapped by Universal and Fox. The budget's under $50 million, I'm told. This is the kind of project that you would normally find at a studio. This one looked like it would be done under DNA's deal at Fox, but that deal's going away, and Fox let this one loose.

Source

Edited by Rappy

Although I never read the comic, i'd really like to see an updated version of this. It definitely sounds appealing.

:rofl:

this just in...budget is high! :p

judgedredddude07.jpg

I am an OLD fan of Dredd, I have all of the original Eagle comics, in pretty damn mint condition too, so I always wanted a real movie based on the real Dredd, not that train wreck of a movie with Stallone.

I also quite enjoyed Sly's Judge Dredd movie (wow that movie is 15 years old already? yikes) so I'm game for a new updated version. I just hope it's dark and stuff like the comics are.

I also wish they'd do a sequel to Demolition Man, sigh. Sly is certainly in good enough shape, and lord knows Snipes needs the money probably :D

The best bit about the old Dredd film with Stallone was the ABC Warrior, but even that was weak

A new film would be pretty good, budget sounds about right and looks like a good team so far. Can't wait

I am an OLD fan of Dredd, I have all of the original Eagle comics, in pretty damn mint condition too, so I always wanted a real movie based on the real Dredd, not that train wreck of a movie with Stallone.

Eagle, Dan Dare & The Thirteenth Floor, that takes me back :p

Edit: Whoa, Judge Dredd was 2012 A.D. I thought?

Personally I'd like to see a movie done of the Slaine comics :yes: Much better than Judge Dredd imo.

Imagine if it was done in the style of 300... That'd be sweet beyond compare :woot:

Eagle, Dan Dare & The Thirteenth Floor, that takes me back :p

Edit: Whoa, Judge Dredd was 2012 A.D. I thought?

Nope you are right, except it was 2000 AD. That is where Judge Dredd made appearances. This should bring back some memories...

• 2 months later...

karlurbank.jpg

We?ve been hearing word about the new Judge Dredd movie for quite some time. A step up from the Sylvester Stallone movie, it?s intended to be closer to the darker tone of the comic book. And it was all the buzz at Cannes earlier this year.

Well, Bleeding Cool now understands that Karl Urban will be offered the role of Judge Dredd in the new movie. Or at least Judge Dredd?s chin. Because one of the main provisos of the deal is that, just as in the comic, Judge Dredd will not remove his helmet. But of course that chin will now be seen in glorious three dimensions. And, contract willing, Karl Urban is of a mind to accept it.

Best known of late for playing Bones McCoy in the recent JJ Abrams Star Trek movie as well as Cesar in Xena Warrior Princess and Eomer in Lord Of The Rings, as well us the upcoming Red, he certainly has the right geek-cred background. But this is the role that is likely to make him a geek god supreme.

Source

• 1 month later...

546059050.jpg

Karl Urban plays Dredd this time out, and now Olivia Thirlby has signed on as Cassandra Anderson, aka Judge Anderson.

Thirlby is a great actress who we?ve been waiting to see really hit the big time, and she adds a lot to this cast. She?ll be able to make Anderson a lot more than just some eye-candy hanger-on.

Variety describes the movie?s version of Anderson as ?a telepathic rookie who shadows Dredd,? so in that case the film is sticking close to the basic comic book vision of the character. I haven?t had a chance to read the script yet, so I can?t say where things go from there.

Vantage Point director Pete Travis is helming the $45m-budgeted film based on a script by Alex Garland, and the film will shoot in South Africa before the end of the year. Distro sales are taking place for Judge Dredd at the Toronto Film Fest, so assuming that money comes together in the next couple weeks as TIFF runs, we should be hearing more casting details very soon.

An early script review characterized the film as dark and action-heavy:

It?s a very action heavy script, with some amazing sequences that will make any Dredd fan happy?this is a gritty film, that plays the world we are in as a realistic future, a very dark, unpleasant crime ridden world as Dredd explains ?Tweleve serious crimes reported every minute. Seventeen thousand per day. We respond to around six percent?. The famous ?I am the law? makes a few appearances?.It never felt too long or too short, It?s just right. The pace is fantastic and if shot well would make for one visually stunning piece upon release.

Read more: Olivia Thirlby Cast Opposite Karl Urban in ?Judge Dredd? | /Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/03/olivia-thirlby-cast-opposite-karl-urban-in-judge-dredd/#ixzz0yVGkkZFO

Ugh. Why?

We need original ideas! James Cameron and Peter Jackson can't be the only storytellers left!

If Joss Whedon would get some credit and stop having his good shows canceled.... :p

Ugh. Why?

We need original ideas! James Cameron and Peter Jackson can't be the only storytellers left!

What original stories has he writen or directed in the last decade?