Adding Ubuntu 10.04 to Windows 7 Bootloader

Ok so I have installed Ubuntu Ultimate 2.7 dualboot with Windows 7

I have an issue with my laptop where Windows wont boot with Ubuntu installed on another partition, anyway..

I think maybe I have fixed that problem, but I had to repair the Windows 7 MBR in order to do it

Now I have WIndows 7 booting fine, but obviously no option to boot linux anymore from the other partition

I know all about reinstalling GRUB and adding windows to that but, I dont want to do that if it can be helped, so...

How do I add Ubuntu 10.04 to the Windows 7 bootloader, is it possible ?

Thanks!

I do not believe that any Windows bootloader can do this....

It's because of the type of file system Linux machines use: ext3 or ext2.

Windows can't read these file systems, and obviously it won't be able to boot what it can't read.

This is why GRUB, which can read both, must be used.

It sucks... I know from experience.

Windows can't read these file systems, and obviously it won't be able to boot what it can't read.

Thanks for that, yea it sucks lol

Thanks will give it a go :)

I install GRUB to the Ubuntu partition, and then use the Terminal with the following command:

dd if=/dev/sd## of=~/Desktop/boot bs=512 count=1

Note that the input file (if) should be the Ubuntu partition, i.e. if Ubuntu is on /dev/sda3, then use if=/dev/sda3.

Then I move the file to the Windows partition and then point bcdedit at that file.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=561877

You may want to mark the file as read-only from the Windows side as well.

I install GRUB to the Ubuntu partition, and then use the Terminal with the following command:

dd if=/dev/sd## of=~/Desktop/boot bs=512 count=1

Note that the input file (if) should be the Ubuntu partition, i.e. if Ubuntu is on /dev/sda3, then use if=/dev/sda3.

Then I move the file to the Windows partition and then point bcdedit at that file.

http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=561877

You may want to mark the file as read-only from the Windows side as well.

Ah nice tip, yea bcdedit could not find the ubuntu partition earlier, for now, I have reinstalled Ubuntu on the 2nd partition and have GRUB loader again, but will try this tomorrow I think :)

Yea I migrated from Wubi, I wanted a real install, but thanks

I've never understood why people insist on thinking a wubi install isn't "real" in some way. Is is a full Linux kernel running directly on your hardware - no emulation.

Other than that, I have heard EasyBCD is a handy tool.

As a final note, I would put forth that GRUB is a more capable, powerful and flexible bootloader than the Microsoft one, so would recommend GRUB over Microsoft's native boot loader any day of the week. (Y)

I've never understood why people insist on thinking a wubi install isn't "real" in some way. Is is a full Linux kernel running directly on your hardware - no emulation.

Other than that, I have heard EasyBCD is a handy tool.

As a final note, I would put forth that GRUB is a more capable, powerful and flexible bootloader than the Microsoft one, so would recommend GRUB over Microsoft's native boot loader any day of the week. (Y)

Just the fact that if I want to reinstall Windows, I cant if Im using Wubi - It is a great tool and the install runs fine, all be it slightly slower disk access, and on a 5400rpm laptop it is noticeable.

Im starting to see it that way too about GRUB, its working, they both boot, why mess kinda thing ;)

... if Im using Wubi - It is a great tool and the install runs fine, all be it slightly slower disk access, and on a 5400rpm laptop it is noticeable.

I would be interested in seeing you run some benchmarks to prove this. I wish I had kept that link to a kernel developer describing wubi filesystem performance. It was actually faster, from his benchmarking and he discussed the technical reasons as to why this was so.

Alas, I don't have Windows installed, so cannot do the test, unless I get a copy just to install to do this. So not interested in that! :p

Yea sure I`ll run some benchmarks, I dont have a Wubi install up and running right now but will reinstall tomorrow, but you will have to walk me through how to benchmark it.

The difference I found was load times, from click to program loaded was not as fast as having its own partition.

Yea go buy Windows 7 Ultimate just for this test :p :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

can someone help me with easybcd, i installed ubuntu 10.04 first, then win7, i can't figure out which options in the lastest easybcd beta to use, the options have changed since the last time i tried.

that doesn't work...

here are screenshots of a few things i've tried: http://i49.tinypic.com/2nc4a40.jpg

i've tried grub legacy with and without the "grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector"

i've tried going on bcd backup/repair > BCD Management options > change boot drive

but the linux partition doesn't have a drive number in windows itself, easybcd or easeus partition master so i can't choose it.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, there is an option (and it's been part of Ubuntu since 8.10) - Wubi.

It lets you install your 'buntu of choice as a Windows application (it shows up in Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall in Windows 7 Ultimate x64, for example) and in the Windows Loader.

Even better, it does not require partition knowledge (it installs in a nested filesystem of a given size, selected/created from within Wubi; typically between 11 and 30 GB, with a custom size option if 30 GB is too small).

It also runs at native-hardware speed (therefore, none of the restrictions common to virtual machines apply); if you need binary/proprietary drivers for hardware in 'buntu, you're free to use them in a Wubi-based install.

The very fact that I don't have to deal with GRUB makes Wubi (and thus 'buntu) darned attractive. (Further, it lets me add a test 'buntu as a third OS, next to 7 and openSuSE, both x64.)

Once Linux is installed you can get "Startup Manager" via the Synaptic Package Manager tool then you can set the bootloader interval to something small like 3 seconds, you can also choose the default OS to boot, should help. :)