BMW or Mercedes

Well I?m looking into one of those cars for total cost between $30k ~ $40k (including Destination Charge etc.). This is my 3rd car and the largest investment I?m about to do, I know there are lot of people here who owns one of these cars.

What I'm looking for is few pointers about the price negotiations and tips I need to know before I get my brain scrambled by the car dealer. My first 2 cars were Hyundai first one was pre-owned bought at $3000.00 and the 2nd was new ?06 sonata gls for around $30k (now free and clear).

1. can't beleive you spent 30 g on a hyundai...

2. BMW, they are really really nice cars. Drive well, handle well. Gorgeous on the inside and out. And Benzs are for old people...

I really needed a new car and with pretty much no credit my finance was high, not to mention I kept adding leather seats and other features on there. I like BMW too, inside the dash kind of turns me off, looks too '80s. I haven?t seen the new 2009-10 or 11 models yet.

I'm planning to go to Monterey on wed to look at both dealerships just to see the cars.

If you like Hyundai, get a Genesis and save the $10-15k you pay for the brand name. You probably get only get a BMW 323i for the same price which has a weaker engine and a spartan interior. In general, it is a very bad idea to outright buy a BMW or Mercedes, as they lose their value fast and aren't very reliable. Better option is to lease and ditch it after the lease is over.

The BMW is an excellent car; bought one back in 1999 (740IL), and still have it (only about 35,000 miles). Albeit, it is just a wee bit out of your price range. I would agree that a Hyundai Genesis with maybe the Honda Acura would be excellent choices.

I really needed a new car and with pretty much no credit my finance was high, not to mention I kept adding leather seats and other features on there. I like BMW too, inside the dash kind of turns me off, looks too '80s. I haven?t seen the new 2009-10 or 11 models yet.

I'm planning to go to Monterey on wed to look at both dealerships just to see the cars.

Mercedes for sure, Monterey? are you talking about Cali? im plannin or hopefully plannin a trip down there to get a way for a bit is it nice?

To the post above me (sc302): Daimler-Chrysler sold Mercedes years ago.

Anyway...

I just happen to work for an auto group that has both BMW and Mercedes dealerships and get to drive them every now and then. If you're looking to work down a price based on dealer invoice, go with the BMW. BMW credit also has some amazing specials going on right now that haven't been made publicly available (one of those help us sell cars kind of things). Mercedes financial rarely has any specials.

Also, if you're looking for sport luxury, a car that will accelerate AND handle well, go with BMW. If you're looking for pure luxury, and something that may be a little 'boat-ish' then Mercedes is the way to go, unless you go for any of the AMG models.

-Mike

I think you are misinformed mike. Still the same company. At least as of two years ago. They may be trying to get away from the image but they are still one and the same. Even the keyfobs are the same.

I hope the girl I work with on tuesdays brings her sons mercades, I will check the tags.

I'm a Bimmer guy, so I'd definitely go for a 3 series. straight-6 turbocharged engines mmmmm :D

I just don't like how BMW today slaps the M tag on things like the crossovers which are incredibly ugly and useless.

1. can't beleive you spent 30 g on a hyundai...

1. Hyundai's not the company it was 20 years ago. They are quality-built cars, but it's the resale value that I'm not too sure.

The Genesis Coupe looks like a fun and affordable sports car, but how much will it sell for used, we'll find out I guess.

Well I?m looking into one of those cars for total cost between $30k ~ $40k (including Destination Charge etc.). This is my 3rd car and the largest investment I?m about to do, I know there are lot of people here who owns one of these cars.

I'm not sure buying a beamer or merc can be classified as an investment :p

I think you are misinformed mike. Still the same company. At least as of two years ago. They may be trying to get away from the image but they are still one and the same. Even the keyfobs are the same.

I hope the girl I work with on tuesdays brings her sons mercades, I will check the tags.

Sorry, but you are the one who is misinformed. Daimler Benz sold 80.1% of it's stake in Chrysler to Cerberus. The deal was finalized on August 3, 2007.[8] On April 27, 2009, Daimler AG signed a binding agreement to give up its 19.9% remaining stake in Chrysler LLC to Cerberus Capital Management. On June 10, 2009 the sale of most of Chrysler was divvied out to it's new company, New Chrysler, formally known as Chryler Group LLC, comprised of:

United Auto Workers Voluntary Employee Beneficiary Association (67.69%)

Fiat S.p.A. (20%)

U.S. Government (9.85%)

Government of Canada (2.46%)[3]

You can find all the info you need on Wikipedia

Hmm, no more Daimler Chrysler as of 2007. Interesting. Still wouldn't buy one.

"On April 27, 2009, Daimler AG signed a binding agreement to give up its 19.9% remaining stake in Chrysler LLC to Cerberus Capital Management"

But to be fair

"On May 14, 2007, DaimlerChrysler announced the sale of 80.1% of Chrysler Group to American private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management, L.P., although Daimler continued to hold a 19.9% stake."

IMO their best move was to dump chrysler.

I'm not sure buying a beamer or merc can be classified as an investment :p

+1. If you're having to finance a car that costs that much then you probably shouldn't be purchasing such an expensive vehicle. Financing a depreciating asset is the worst investment you can possibly make.

Hmm, no more Daimler Chrysler as of 2007. Interesting. Still wouldn't buy one.

"On April 27, 2009, Daimler AG signed a binding agreement to give up its 19.9% remaining stake in Chrysler LLC to Cerberus Capital Management"

But to be fair

"On May 14, 2007, DaimlerChrysler announced the sale of 80.1% of Chrysler Group to American private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management, L.P., although Daimler continued to hold a 19.9% stake."

IMO their best move was to dump chrysler.

Actually, Daimler pretty much raped Chrysler of all of it's assets and technology. Chrysler was a powerhouse before-hand. A lot of the technology in Mercedes' vehicles was designed by Chrysler engineers. All Chrysler itself got out of the deal was a couple old chassis and Daimler stealing their money.