The Official Half Life 2 Thread

This article as just written on GameSpot Link.

So why are Valve employees still saying September 30? Judging from forum posts, people think this is the word of God: "Half-Life 2 will be released on the 30th. Mr. X at Valve said so!"

Only the G-Man knows the truth.

But Valve is only a developer; the game will never be put into production without the publisher, Vivendi Universal Games. This actually makes me very curious, because Vivendi has remained tight-lipped so far. Vivendi appears to be talking to retailers, because companies like EB have it listed for a November release. Yet Vivendi still says nothing to the consumer, not one press release smacking down Valve's claims. As successful as Valve is, the company can't go against its publisher.

I have been trying to tell you guys on multiple occasions that the programmers saying Sept. 30th is the release date means nothing. In the end it is up to the publisher to decide when it ships. Even if Gabe says the 30th, he doesn't make the final call.

well shouldnt he step up to the plate and tell everyone that his date means nothing (it would probably stop people from being disapointed if it doesnt come out on the 30th)

Perhaps he does not have very good contact with the publisher or maybe the publisher is leading him on too. You never know.

Anyone see this post at City 17?

As the days between present and the release of Half-Life 2 become less and less, we see people speaking their mind on the relese date, and if Valve will make the date or not. Of course this is all speculation, as nothing is official. However, today we received an email from a fan who was talking to the manager at the local GameSpot. Here is what he had to say:

About an hour ago I talked to a manager at the local GameSpot about Half-Life 2. I asked him about the release date and about all the rumors relating to it. He said that it wasn't going to make its September 30th date. He knew this because he recently went to a training seminar where Valve showed up and talked about HL2, showing the same footage from E3. They said that unfortunately they would not make their date but would release it hopefully sometime before Christmas.

Although this is still not official, when I went down to talk to the guys at EB this past weekend, they gave me similar information, although it was their suppliers that got the information, and not them directly.

As always, we'll try to keep you guys informed on all the information going around, in an attempt to iron out the BS, and bring you the most accurate and true speculation as humanly possible. More as it develops.

Shall I paint a bullseye on my face so that you don't miss? ;)

I was just trying to keep this thread going with speculation and stuff.. I never actually said I agreed or disagreed with the post...

Speculations what its about right? :)

"This page last updated: 11:04am, September 23 2003 (Pacific Time, GMT -8)

Warning: This data is over 10 minutes old and may be out of date."

;)

Plus you still can download content from the servers.

Chicane-UK: You have to pay, surprisingly :p

No no.. I know you gotta pay but I heard (yet another rumour) about it downloading a heavily encrypted version to all Steam clients over the next few days which can be unlocked as soon as you cough up the spondoolah for the game?

k...

Well i'll definately be coughing up the money for this as soon as its available! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I highly doubt that Valve would send out gigs to each player during the next week without some type of payment for the game. That's a lot of bandwidth to worry about without having assurance that the end user will actually decide to buy the game.