Photo

Windows 7 Free Space

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 mpg187

mpg187

Neowinian

Posted 29 June 2010 - 16:33

I am downloading a big Torrent for a TV Show and have like 1 GB free and need about 1 GB more. In Windows XP there was a way to uninstall certain features, but in Windows 7 I only see turn on and off Windows Features.

Is there an easy way to temporarily get free space. My C:\Windows folder is like 5 GB, I am sure there is something in there I can safely delete.

I never use Windows Media Center or the messenger that comes with Windows, is there a way to remove those and get some easy free space?

When the Torrent is done I will probably move it somewhere else, but for now it's on C:\, I tried deleting temporary files but still need more space...

#2 Spartan Erik

Spartan Erik

Neowinian

Posted 29 June 2010 - 16:38

Tried deleting system restore points?
Tried going through C:/Windows/Web/Wallpaper to delete any high res wallpapers you don't use anymore?
Tried uninstalling programs you no longer need?
Tried sorting through presumably gigs and gigs of movies/music you don't ever watch/listen to?

You could always zip up a bunch of large files/docs, upload it to rapidshare, and download it back whenever you need it.

#3 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:59

restore points take up a lot of space.
i assume you've already ran disk cleanup.
also check ProgramData, there's a lot of stuff that program installers left behind but you don't actually need anymore. Sometimes it adds up to a gig or two. but don't just indiscriminately delete everything, if you're not sure then leave it there.

#4 wrack

wrack

Wireless Robotic Android Calibrated for Killing

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:05

Use DiskMax.

#5 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:29

Eventually your Windows 7 drive will get full as it eats more disk space due to the super-bloated servicing store (C:\Windows\WinSxS).

#6 Tim Dawg

Tim Dawg

Neowinian

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:33

Eventually your Windows 7 drive will get full as it eats more disk space due to the super-bloated servicing store (C:\Windows\WinSxS).

Amen to that. I hate how big WinSxs is on some of my Win2k8 boxes let alone my Win7 boxes. I have one 2k8 server with a WinSxs of over 20GB. What a freakin' waste. And that's after I did the service pack clean up!

#7 LightShadow

LightShadow

>Metro<

Posted 02 July 2010 - 15:34

Backup files to External hard drives etc.

You could:

Burn Files to DVD/CD's -> Delete them from the computer - (Then you could re-add them later)

Backup to External Hard Drive/USB -> Delete from Computer - (Could re-add later)

Use Online Cloud Storage (Dropbox,Live SkyDrive etc) -> Delete from Computer - (Could re-add later)

____
Other things:

Uninstall unsed programs - Like OEM stuff,browsers you don't use etc.
Use Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag

But, Windows files don't remove as they are needed and don't take up much space. With all my programs installed and windows files. I have used about 25gb of my hard drive, Excluding files. So not recommended to remove anything from there.

#8 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 02 July 2010 - 21:50

all new oses require more space. you could put Ubuntu on it as it requires far less disk space than 7 does.

#9 OP mpg187

mpg187

Neowinian

Posted 03 July 2010 - 00:05

@TechDudeGeorge
I have another partition I can put files on, but I already put all the files I could, the only space I am using it for this Torrent and installed programs and the OS itself.

@soldier1st
I have Ubuntu on here too, but I need Windows for this game (The developer doens't know how to code properly so it works on Linux) and I already started the Torrent on my bigger Windows Partition.

As of now I have 642 MB free but need like 800.

Are there any files on C:\Windows\WinSxS that are safe to delete?

#10 Phenom II

Phenom II

Neowin Junkie

Posted 03 July 2010 - 00:09

Turn off system restore and turn off the page file until the torrent is copied someplace else, that will deff give you well over the space you need

#11 Berserk87

Berserk87

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 July 2010 - 00:24

I used to have this issue a lot, go browse through other things you've downloaded or go look into your old files/folders for duplicates or things you don't need anymore.
I could go free up 20Gb on my hard drive right now if I wanted to, I don't know what would be deleted but I know I have lots of junk if I go looking.

#12 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:07

@TechDudeGeorge
I have another partition I can put files on, but I already put all the files I could, the only space I am using it for this Torrent and installed programs and the OS itself.

@soldier1st
I have Ubuntu on here too, but I need Windows for this game (The developer doens't know how to code properly so it works on Linux) and I already started the Torrent on my bigger Windows Partition.

As of now I have 642 MB free but need like 800.

Are there any files on C:\Windows\WinSxS that are safe to delete?

no.

#13 Hani

Hani

The Comedian

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:13

Turn off hibernation.

#14 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 75
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 17:18

Amen to that. I hate how big WinSxs is on some of my Win2k8 boxes let alone my Win7 boxes. I have one 2k8 server with a WinSxs of over 20GB. What a freakin' waste. And that's after I did the service pack clean up!

How exactly are you viewing the size of the winsxs folder? Are you taking into account they are all hardlinks?

So no the winsxs folder is not going to eat your hard disk space, and no its not super-blocked..

http://blogs.msdn.co...disk-space.aspx

"In practice, nearly every file in the WinSxS directory is a “hard link” to the physical files elsewhere on the system—meaning that the files are not actually in this directory. For instance in the WinSxS there might be a file called advapi32.dll that takes up >700K however what’s being reported is a hard link to the actual file that lives in the Windows\System32, and it will be counted twice (or more) when simply looking at the individual directories from Windows Explorer."

'While it’s true that WinSxS does consume some disk space by simply existing, and there are a number of metadata files, folders, manifests, and catalogs in it, it’s significantly smaller than reported. The actual amount of storage consumed varies, but on a typical system it is about 400MB. While that is not small, we think the robustness provided for servicing is a reasonable tradeoff."

Edited by BudMan, 04 July 2010 - 17:19.

#15 ViZioN

ViZioN

Resident Scotsman

Posted 04 July 2010 - 17:22

Why not stop the torrent, move the files to another drive with more space and restart? It'll re-check the current files when you re-add the torrent to the client and start downloading again.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!