Realtek HD 889a + Windows 7 x64 = no rear sound

I have been using since few years the Creative Inspire 4.1 speakers, and they worked well with my old system, which had a Realtek ALC850 8-channel audio (AC'97 drivers), and with Windows 7 X64 everything was working just fine.

Now with the new system i built, based on a GigaByte MA790FXT-UD5P, which uses a Realtek ALC 889a chipset, i am not able to make the rear speakers work.

I installed the latest realtek drivers (R2.49), also tried with latest official Gigabyte driver (R2.48), but no way, windows is not giving sound on the rear speakers. Configuration test with Quadraphonic doesn't make the sound on rear, only front

while booting into the linux partition I have (Ubuntu 10.04, x32), 4.1 audio is working just fine, so not a hardware issue.

any body encountered this issue and can help?

have you tried the Realtek HD Audio Manager control panel? located C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe

you can assign / re-assign the analog back and front panel sockets, the Windows default is different!

have you tried the Realtek HD Audio Manager control panel? located C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe

you can assign / re-assign the analog back and front panel sockets, the Windows default is different!

yes, tried also this one, with it i tried inverting the jacks front <--> rear, and it worked opposite to the previous situation: only rear worked (producing front test sound)

Is there any unknown driver in system device manager? How about uninstall and reinstall sound device driver? How about latest Bios?

Tried everything:

• uninstall/restart/install/restart
  • latest bios
  • remove all unused devices using the "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" trick

don't know what to do else, reinstall windows? i wanted to leave it as last resort.

Have you checked to make sure you haven't accidentally flipped a switch on the speakers themselves from 4.1 to 2.1 mode? (if it has one that is)

Have you checked to make sure you haven't accidentally flipped a switch on the speakers themselves from 4.1 to 2.1 mode? (if it has one that is)

they don't have one, and anyway as i said earlier: it is Windows things, as starting the PC under linux they work fine. (It's time to switch to linux? :))

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same issue with my Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5. It runs the Realtek 889 chipset and I cannot get rear audio for the life of me. Tried the default MS drivers, the R2.51 drivers, and the latest R2.53 drivers from Realtek to no avail.