315km/h MacBook Pro drop

Ok, picture this... it was a nice Sunday afternoon and the boys wen out for a ride... on some damn powerful motorcycles...

One of them took his brand new MabBook Pro 13" on his standard back pack...

When testing the bike at 315km/h, the backpack zip started to fail... and all of the sudden, the macbook flew trough the air... landing on the side of the road, beginning a series of turns and crushes from about 150 meters... while being torn apart.

the result?... see the pictures:

dscn0004b.jpg

dscn0005.jpg

dscn0007t.jpg

dscn0010qi.jpg

dscn0019g.jpg

The best part... we try to make it work again.... and we could!!!

the hard disk, motherboard and superdrive survived! and with an external monitor, keyboard/mouse and new ddr3 memory modules... it booted!!

dscn0022c.jpg

dscn0021vc.jpg

Complete set of pictures here:

http://img713.yfrog.com/gal.php?g=dscn0003.jpg

Regards,

Julián and Leonardo.

hahahaha!!!! excellent! :) i feel so much better now!!!! :p

Condolences tho on the loss of your shiny toy

I half expected this to be about one of those guys who buy expensive products and break them to show off some random point (like the guys who repeatedly drove over the iPhone or something, then said it was weak because the screen cracked)

LMFAO.

Which just goes to show the build quality of those things. The frontal shot is astonishing to me. Sure the screen is gone, but the keyboard, trackpad seem almost perfectly intact. And for dropping it at almost 200mp/h, the laptop remained surprisingly rigid and the boot up was just the icing on the cake isn't it?

Nice story. (But poor laptop).

Testing bike nearly 200mph with backpack etc ummm

Gene-pool springs to mind...

Was it still in bag when dropped? Was it on concrete to tumbling sliding 150 m?

Good thing it wasn't one of the idiots that fell off and got banged up.

Amazed it still works, though.

Testing bike nearly 200mph with backpack etc ummm

Gene-pool springs to mind...

Was it still in bag when dropped? Was it on concrete to tumbling sliding 150 m?

Let me clarify some things...

1) it's not may macbook, I have the same one but it's from a co-worker's friend. I just disassemble and make it work again. (and toke pictures :p)

2) the zip of the bag opened, and the macbook fell off, on the grass (side of the rode).... generating an spectacular dirt cloud...

It is a MacBook Pro afterall. Should have better quality parts than a 'normal' Mac Book. Like saying Dell Inspiron (or whatever they're called now) to a Latitude. Anyone who hasn't tried it, grab it with your hands with the lid open and try to squeeze it. On the Inspiron you're scared it's going to brake, but not on the Latitude

I would be interested to know what bike it is since not very many can do that speed.

Exactly as above and also wind, temperature, humidity all play a part at those speeds.

And also, 315kmp/h, you would have to be in full leathers and wouldnt be stupid to have a back pack at those speeds.

It is a MacBook Pro afterall. Should have better quality parts than a 'normal' Mac Book. Like saying Dell Inspiron (or whatever they're called now) to a Latitude. Anyone who hasn't tried it, grab it with your hands with the lid open and try to squeeze it. On the Inspiron you're scared it's going to brake, but not on the Latitude

This is a low-end MacBook Pro, which at one point was a MacBook.

Either way, I can tell you a Latitude would not come out in one piece like this thing did...not even a Lenovo ThinkPad.

Apple's Unibody design helped a lot in this situation.

I'm very impressed. After seeing the pics I thought it was a goner and it would be some kind of sob story. Glad it works! ... even if it's through some indirect way.

But yeah, at least the pieces stayed together. If it were other PC laptops, chances are the parts would have separated and the connections would have been severed.

Maybe with enough coverage, Apple might send you a replacement. ;)