33 members have voted

1. 1. Which eBook readers do you have?

• Amazon Kindle
    • Barnes & Noble Nook
    • Sony Reader
    • COOL-ER
    • Kobo
    • Other
    • I use a Tablet for reading eBooks (iPad, etc.)
  2. 2. Are you satisfied with your eBook reader or your Tablet's eBook reading function?

• Yes
    • No, but I would consider another model
    • No, and I wouldn't consider another

After rummaging through the forums, I was surprised to see there weren't very many discussions regarding eBook readers in general. So, as the title says, do you have an eBook reader? If so, which one?

I'm not much of a "book person". Aside from the books I had to read in my high school and elementary school English classes, I've only ever read through a handful of novels. As a "technology enthusiast" much of what I read these days is online, be it blogs, news, etc. But I've been looking at eBook readers recently and was thinking, if I can combine technology with books, maybe I can finally get into the habit of reading :p

Especially with the new Kindle being announced for a reasonable $139, it's looking more tempting than ever.

Anywho, what are your thoughts?

I was going to get a Kobo, but with the prices dropping, I started thinking about the Nook. I haven't really looked at the new Kindle yet, but will soon. It seems most people kind of skipped the ebook readers and got iPads. I really want mine to hold all my manuals for work. I've got 3 shelves of manuals. Some of them 1400 pages.

Currently have an Irex Iliad (Irex just recently went bust) but its a bit buggy page flip tends to jump 5 pages and the battery is starting to die, i've pre-ordered the UK Kindle 3, smaller resolution and size screen but the month long battery life and wider choice of books will come in handy.

I notice a strange reaction when it comes to ebook readers, most people recoil in hatered saying they would never have one as i think they are under the illusion that when you purchase one you can't purchase paper books.

Im a big fan of books i love them, fiction non fiction, classics modern etc.. Theres nothing like a good book, however they are not very portable and i don't like getting them scuffed up. Ebook reader the perfect solution, i carry a very small light portable device Sony PRS-300. Battery lasts for months and it stores a good 500 odd books. Works well in low light, sunlight pretty much any where, when im on the train, hotels etc. it's a really useful device, does this mean i want to get rid of my collection of books, hell no. I love them on the shelf, it's the same reason why i still buy CD's as i like them on the shelf, i like to have a physical copy.

So reall a big thumbs up here for the ebook reader :)

I have a Kindle 2 as I both travel and read alot, and I almost can't do without it now. I still collect DTBs (dead tree books) from my favorite authors, 1st Editions, etc, but even those I didn't read before I had a Kindle. In my opinion the Kindle does the few things it should do really well, long-term reading included. Not having extra weight in my luggage from 2 months of reading materials is a huge bonus as well.

I am very tempted by the new kindle. I was tempted by the previous one too though. My roommate has (and loves) his Sony ebook reader. The problem I have with ebooks is just that there aren't enough of them. Most of the series I read only have about half made into ebooks, and that is VERY irritating.

I got an iPad (odd it isn't on the list guess it's not a true "eBook Reader") but I do love it I actually read more now.

I'm wishing I didn't buy an Ipad here in australia because there are like no books on the store just a few free older ones like all of shakespeare

I really wish I bought a Kindle now

Hm, alright, I've added a Tablet option to the poll for those who use theirs for reading eBooks. (Feel free to modify your vote.)

I'm wishing I didn't buy an Ipad here in australia because there are like no books on the store just a few free older ones like all of shakespeare

Is it not possible to buy eBooks from other sources and convert them to a format the iPad supports?

Hm, alright, I've added a Tablet option to the poll for those who use theirs for reading eBooks. (Feel free to modify your vote.)

Is it not possible to buy eBooks from other sources and convert them to a format the iPad supports?

yes it is. You could even use a different ebook app

Kindle App

nook App

How cost effective is it to own an ebook reader? Price comparison between ebooks and standard paperbacks? The UK doesn't have the Kindle store yet so I cant compare.

How cost effective is it to own an ebook reader? Price comparison between ebooks and standard paperbacks? The UK doesn't have the Kindle store yet so I cant compare.

ebooks are a little bit cheaper, but not enough I would use it as an excuse to buy an ebook reader. The big thing for me is the size, the fact you don't have to hold the pages apart, the fact you can take thousands of books with you, and the fact it doesn't waste a huge amount of space in your home.