Extremely slow network transfer between two Windows 7 PC's

I think I have asked this question the most of any Windows related questions I may have.

I get extremely slow file transfers over a wifi network, even when both PC's are right next to each other, though the router is just below in the next room. Even if I go downstairs, the speed seems like it is a Windows problem and not the router, because I had the same problem on two totally different name brand routers and the same PC's.

Once I had Vista and XP installed on the notebook PC, and the file transfer speed was perfect, but now once I installed W7 on the notebook, those speeds are gone.

Any help? By the way, I have googled for months and have did everything like remove differential, removed ipv6, went to command prompt and did netsh ETC, nothing works.

What speed do you think you should get wireless? Especially when there are 2 clients wireless.

Wireless is SHARED bandwidth.. The more wireless clients the less bandwidth.. You don't really think your going to see 54mbits do you? About the best you can see in real life is about 23 to 25mbits, now /2 that number since you have 2 clients and your looking at somewhere like 11.5 mbps as your best /8 your talking like 1.43MBps

I find it unlikely your actually getting 4, but sure ok bounces between 2 to 4 your at 3 which is realistic

As to seeing 12 on a wire, thats pushing it unless your gig? And if your gig that is slow as hell!

edit: BTW how are we suppose to tell you if normal or slow if you don't even tell us what speeds your seeing.. Are you B, G or N? etc.. etc.. need details!

I have no idea what the hell you just said above other than "are you B, G, N." I am using all 3, and my upload/down speed is faster than when transferring between my networked PC's. This is a Windows 7 issue nonetheless, since this happened like I said on different networks, PC's ETC. This only happens when it's transferring between two PC's using Windows 7.

What more can I post? If it is doing the same on different hardware and configurations, I really don't know what more I could post.

I have no idea what the hell you just said above other than "than "are you B, G, N." I am using all 3"

[snipped]

You can not be connected at both B, G and N at the same time -- so how and F are you using all 3?

And how hard is to understand that wireless is shared??? So you have the bandwidth divided by the clients --- you clearly stated you have 2 talking both wireless so guess what /2

"What more can I post?"

How about WHAT speed your seeing? How about are you connecting at B, G or N? What wireless cards are you using? How are testing the speed your getting?

To be honest I sometimes wonder why I even attempt to help people like you -- what info have you given us to help you????? It would be liking taking your car to the mechanic and saying your car is slow...

My wifes laptop w7 to my 2k8 server

------------------------------------------------------------

[136] local 192.168.1.4 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.202 port 51527

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth

[136] 0.0-10.1 sec 20.9 MBytes 17.3 Mbits/sec

[160] local 192.168.1.4 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.202 port 51528

[160] 0.0-10.1 sec 20.5 MBytes 17.0 Mbits/sec

[148] local 192.168.1.4 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.202 port 51529

[148] 0.0-10.1 sec 20.9 MBytes 17.4 Mbits/sec

So what else can you post??? Details is what you can post!! Like I thought I clearly stated your wireless to wireless so you cutting your bandwidth in half.. So what do you think is slow??? And at what speed???? B, G or N??? What do you think you should be seeing?

So 17.4mbps --- is that slow to you? What do you feel it should be? maybe 54mbps? maybe 300mbps if your N? How can I agree with you or point out issues in your logic if you wont even post what speeds your seeing?

How can anyone expect to get legitimate answers to a question about your network is slow when you have not even given us the details of your network be it A, B, G or N nor what speeds your seeing.. So how and the F can anyone know if what speeds you are seeing are slow, fast, ????

edit:

car user: my car is slow

mech: when you take off from a stop, when on highway, what is the top speed you can reach?

car user: its slow when -- yes I drive it (B, G, N. I am using all 3)

mech: So your saying it can not go over 55, or your saying its slow from a stop light?

car user: Im saying its slow --- it use to be fast, and now its slow.

:rolleyes:

Edited by John S.

It's not a Windows 7 problem, it's a 'your ****ty network' problem. Stable 55MB/s transfer from my Windows 7 Laptop to my Windows 7 Desktop.

It well might just be the limit of wireless we don't freaking know -- since he has not given us clue freaking one to what he thinks is slow..

My windows 7 machine

[152] local 192.168.1.100 port 49612 connected with 192.168.1.4 port 5001

[152] 0.0-10.0 sec 978 MBytes 819 Mbits/sec

Here is an actual file copy.

C:\Temp>robocopy \\p4-28g\s$\stuff\msdn c:\temp en_office_2003_pro.iso

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows :: Version XP010

Started : Sun Aug 08 01:13:24 2010

Source : \\p4-28g\s$\stuff\msdn\

Dest : c:\temp\

Files : en_office_2003_pro.iso

Options : /COPY:DAT /R:1000000 /W:30

1 \\p4-28g\s$\stuff\msdn\

100% New File 400.5 m en_office_2003_pro.iso

Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras

Dirs : 1 0 1 0 0 0

Files : 1 1 0 0 0 0

Bytes : 400.54 m 400.54 m 0 0 0 0

Times : 0:00:05 0:00:05 0:00:00 0:00:00

Speed : 80199711 Bytes/sec.

Speed : 4589.064 MegaBytes/min.

Ended : Sun Aug 08 01:13:30 2010

But for all we know he thinks that 80MBps is slow??? He has not stated what speeds he is seeing, nor what wireless he is even connected at -- for all we know its a B network? And now **** wireless to wireless is going to be like watching paint dry!

BudMan pretty much has it covered, as stated you're looking at 1-2MB/sec for WiFi to WiFi transfers with most consumer level equipment. The problem is 1 WiFi rarely connects at fullspeed and the packet size it utilizes can very greatly from second to second, and then 2 on top of that a lot of hardware is built pretty cheaply and can't even transfer at full speeds regardless of connection rate anyway. Check the WiFi packet sizes being transmitted to know what your threshold is.

To break it down again:

If you're running a G network and all clients are connected as G, your client might report a connect rate of 54Mbps but realistically only expect a 10-20Mbps transfer rate capacity for all clients to share. In a set up where doing WiFi to WiFi transfers on an infustructure set up, the data I believe might even be transmitted TWICE for both up to the router to be processed and then again to the client (this is because wireless clients data is designed for be kept separate from one another and not interceptable, at least with WPA2 encryption - correct me in case there's a condition I'm not aware of), basically halving bandwidth. In this set up, you'll get typically 5-10Mbps for two clients, or between 500KBps and 1MBps. If you have really powerful hardware then this number might be quite a bit higher, upto 120Mbps total (60Mbps in each direction) for N networks with a high-end access-point, good WiFi adapter and solid 2x2MIMO 300Mbps reception.

Yeah nullie but what if your connecting at ALL 3 speeds at that same time :rolleyes:

So you should be able to add them up right? :rolleyes:

So I have my router set for B/G/N --- so I should get B+G+N wireless speeds ;) BTW -- mine is slow, not saying what IM seeing but its SLOW.. XP use to be FULL speed (whatever that might have been?) And 7 is slower..

user: I have a pain

doc: where do you have a pain?

user: Its a pain, I didn't use to have it by now I do

doc: Where does it hurt?

user: It didn't use to feel like this, but now it does

doc: What didn't? Where does it hurt? How did it feel like before, and how does it feel now? AND WHERE?

user: I have a pain.

doc: :rolleyes:

Yeah nullie but what if your connecting at ALL 3 speeds at that same time :rolleyes:

So you should be able to add them up right? :rolleyes:

So I have my router set for B/G/N --- so I should get B+G+N wireless speeds ;) BTW -- mine is slow, not saying what IM seeing but its SLOW.. XP use to be FULL speed (whatever that might have been?) And 7 is slower..

user: I have a pain

doc: where do you have a pain?

user: Its a pain, I didn't use to have it by now I do

doc: Where does it hurt?

user: It didn't use to feel like this, but now it does

doc: What didn't? Where does it hurt? How did it feel like before, and how does it feel now? AND WHERE?

user: I have a pain.

doc: :rolleyes:

You have a point but I think you're criticizing the guy way too much, it might be more in his interest to explain what and where to get the information needed to better help him figure out this problem.

Maybe... But then again I thought this was pretty clear

"What speed do you think you should get wireless?

Please feel free to post whatever you feel should be posted to be able to get some info we can work with..

As to seeing 12 on a wire, thats pushing it unless your gig? And if your gig that is slow as hell!

didnt understand that.

Is 12MB on wire good speed or bad?

laptop using G Network Connection.

Desktop has wired connection to wifi modem/router.

I transfered 18GB from laptop to desktop & it took 25mins (wire lan).

(Windows showed the speed & time remaining :p )

btw, how to measure speed b/w computers? (what command?)

like this data posted above

[136] local 192.168.1.4 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.202 port 51527

[136] 0.0-10.1 sec 20.9 MBytes 17.3 Mbits/sec

[160] local 192.168.1.4 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.202 port 51528

[160] 0.0-10.1 sec 20.5 MBytes 17.0 Mbits/sec

[148] local 192.168.1.4 port 5001 connected with 192.168.1.202 port 51529

[148] 0.0-10.1 sec 20.9 MBytes 17.4 Mbits/sec

Sorry, but i'm not into PC's too much. :)

PS. attached my modem's "advanced setting" page, if it helps.

post-250041-12813627079573.png

Well you can use iperf to test speeds

http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf/

As to 12MBps at 100mbit thats freaking SCREAMING!!! And to be honest I find it unlikely you could ever really see that in the real world on 100mbit network.. For starters you never actually can get 100mbit, its going to be more like 96 to maybe 98mbits now if you just /8 to convert that to Bps you at 12.25 not counting any overhead... Which there is going to be overhead, quite a bit of it to be honest.. On a 100mbit wired connecting using very fast cpu, disk, nics, etc. I would say you should be able to get and sustain close to 11.. 10 would very good. But 12, I don't think so to be honest not at 100mbit.

Now if your on a 1000mbit network (gig) then 12 is SLOW! You should be seeing well over 20 closer to 30 with even the cheapest of machines and hdds and network cards.. As you can see I was got over 80MBps doing a file copy from one machine to another.. If your at 1000mbit wired connection and your seeing 12 thats pretty slow. And to be honest I don't feel its possible on a 100mbit network to see that -- so you must be on wired gig?

Ok so now we know your connected at G speeds.. So what speeds are you seeing?? Do a simple file copy test and time it.. Copy over a LARGE file say over 100mbytes, how long does it take? And we can tell you if its fast or slow for a wireless G connection.

I would say the BEST you could hope to see is about 25mbps /8 for bytes /2 clients = 1.5MBps so a 100MB file should take about 70 seconds to copy from wireless client to wireless client using windows file copy. How long does yours take?

I would say it is most likely his wireless in some form. I have transfered from wireless to wireless at a whopping 2-4 MB/s, yet the second I plug both into my gigabit ethernet I get around 50-60MB/s speeds on the same thing (limited by the HDDs, which, the drive I was testing at the time, was an 8 year old 7200 RPM Maxtor drive).

That being said, do not doubt BudMans' words, I am sure he can be wrong, but he has answered my questions extremely accurately in the past (the most recent involved networking as well) to the point that I found out it was my fault for what was happening, not my networking hardware and not the software I was running.

Until you prove him wrong on something, it is safe to assume what he is saying is accurate, he definitely knows things.

I assume he is wireless to wireless from his statements since he says the clients are next to each other and the router is below them - from this I assume both wireless - but maybe he has a wire ran to one of them?. What we did not know is what wireless until now was it A,B,G,N? Nor do have any idea what his wireless speeds are that he believes are slow are at. So far all we have been able to put together is he is wireless to wireless, and now we know atleast one of the clients is connecting at G.

Once we know what speeds he is seeing on this wireless to wireless transfer we can tell him if slow or normal.

As to his 18GB in 25 minutes that works out to 12MBps -- which I don't believe is even possible on a 100mbit network, so would have to assume that he has wired gig -- therefore that 12MBps is SLOW for wired 1000mbit network.

my network card is m/b integrated - Intel 82566DC Gigabit

Motherboard: Intel DG965WH

It shows speed as 100Mbps :(

i thought it was supposed to be 1000Mbps

attached a screenshot of the properties window.

same speed shows in laptop too (ethernet).

As you can see in screenshot, theres' a 1.0Gbps speed too, if i select it, will it work at that speed?

i'll post 100MB transfer details later in evening.

post-250041-12814278016346.png

Most likely wont work if you just select 1Gb. It depends on if the hardware at the other end of the cable supports it and if it was on auto neg then Im guessing it negotiated 100mb for a reason ;)

P.S I love threads like these when some idiot posts a question who clearly has no idea and and is ignorant because its "technologys" fault and then gets shot down by someone . . . Usually BudMan :D

You could have 10GB adapters - not going to do you any good if your switch is 100mbit? To run gig speeds you need a gig switch to connect too, or you would have to be connecting your 2 machines network cards directly together.

Again as to 12MBps --- You sure you didn't round that off a bit?

Set my interface at 100mbit full duplex

C:\>iperf -c 192.168.1.4 -w 256k

Client connecting to 192.168.1.4, TCP port 5001

TCP window size: 256 KByte

[152] local 192.168.1.100 port 1715 connected with 192.168.1.4 port 5001

[152] 0.0-10.0 sec 112 MBytes 93.6 Mbits/sec

Transferred 112Mbytes on the wire in 10sec = 11.2MBps -- thats not taking into account any SMB/CIFS overhead. So you seeing 12MBps on a 100mbits network over 18GB worth of files would be SCREAMING FAST!!! So how could you complain that your windows 7 to windows 7 file copies are slow.. Now if that was 1000mbit network then yeah thats pretty freaking slow ;)

But lets get to your Wireless Speeds! Which is what you were complaining about anyway. Can you do a simple robocopy test -- w7 comes with it.. Or grab iperf and test -- and we can tell you if its slow or fast for wireless G.

let me clear few things first.

1. I'm not complaining, i'm in doubt.

2. When i mentioned 12MBps speeds, i meant direct wire connection b/w laptop & desktop, no modem/router in between.

• Here i thought i could have got more speed as there was direct connection b/w PC's, but i was wrong & you guys explained the reason clearly.

3. My Desktop doesnt have wifi, its connected to modem/router thru wire.

w7ludv.jpg

• Modem - UTStarcom WA3002G4
  • this has wifi + 4 ethernet ports at the back

4. I think you got the wrong guy :p

------------------

now to the 100MB file transfer test -

Wired LAN

transfered 105MB file on wire lan & Win7 showed speed upto 13MBps, but NetMeter showed 11.77MBps as max speed of transfer.

(see pic)

34rbmrl.png

It took 10secs for the transfer

Wifi LAN (Home Group)

Same 105MB file

orkxo9.png

took around 1minute for transfer.

Laptop's network adapter properties

nlbvpf.png

This has confused me now, lol, now i dont know what type the laptop's using now, a/b/g? :p

2v3t3dz.png

Anyways, is it possible to get more speed on Wired LAN, i mean above 11MB/s?

Is it safe to test that 1Gbps setting (enabling on both desktop & laptop)?

For starters what w7 shows you in its file copy dialog -- I would not take that speed as gospel ;) Suggest you do a robocopy as a file copy test which will print out great details of the time it took, how many bytes and calc the speed for you.

If your connected direct pc to laptop with NO switch (router lan ports) between then yes its possible to be connected at 1000mbit if both cards are 10/100/1000 cards.. If this is the case and your connecting at 1000mbit -- then 12.6 is very easy to obtain, but its SLOW for a gig network.

As to what your connecting at vs looking at what the card can be set too -- just move your mouse over the connection it should show you want speed your connected at.. If it says 54 -- then your G. Now if your one of the machines in that test where you were showing 2.6MBps was lan -- then that is normal speeds for wireless G. Now if they were both wireless at the time -- I would have to say that is SCREAMING!!!!! FAST and I find it hard to believe thats a valid number. Again you can do a robcopy file copy test to report exact speed of the file copy. Possible your using some sort of turbo or GS mode on the wireless? Some routers state 108mbit vs 54, etc.. So then sure you might be able to see some really good speeds for wireless to wireless.. But on a standard 54mbit connection with 2 wireless clients talking to each other you would have to /2 the available bandwidth, since its SHARED and only 1 device can actually be talking at any given time.. Just the way wireless works.. From the test I have done on many many wireless G networks -- the best your going to see is mid 20's mbit -- 54 is the RAW number and yes I agree its misleading to consumers . So do 25Mbps / 8 = at best about 3.125MBps -- the 2.6 your seeing would be typical for wireless G to a lan machine or internet.

Same goes for seeing what speed your nic is connected at - just move your mouse over the icon in your tray if you have it set to show the icon for your wired interface when connected - if not just double click the interface

post-14624-12814524635458.jpg

Edited by BudMan

You're not going to see gigabit speeds hooked up to your current router/modem because its' ports are only rated at 100mb. It's a hub.

www.legasys.com/n/solutions/cpe/images/SS_WA3002-G4.pdf

Hub and switch are not interchangeable terms, I find it highly unlikely it has a 4 port HUB connected to it. But yes as already gone over your not going to see gig connected to it ;)

Okay, so a previous poster said that it could be the fact that wireless just doesn't transfer as fast as wired, and that I shouldn't expect higher... Well, that's ridiculous, because usually use wireless, and there is no speed reduction whatsoever when I download something wired and through wifi. Also, my upload speed is insane, I'm talking about uploading movies to megaupload in less than 10 seconds (I think my ISP cut that out now though,) but directly connected on the same network reduces speed? That makes no sense.

Also, no offense to anyone at all, this is actually out of the sake of us W7 users, but honestly, why the **** should we need to go through all of that just to have a decent network transfer speed?! Microsoft should do that if anything. I can't see myself spending hours trying to fix someone elses fault if I already paid them for their product.

I posted this on the microsoft answers, and all I get is what seems like a copy/pasted paragraph with a link to something that doesn't help at all.

Again dude -- you have NOT given us SQUAT to work with!!! What SPEEDS are you saying are slow???????

Can you give us atleast some crumbs to work with here.. As I posted and others as well -- our w7 network speeds are SCREAMING.. So until you give us actual numbers to work with, and some actual results of your testing there is nothing to be done.

edit:

As to no speed reduction in downloading?? From where the internet? WHAT is your connection speed to the internet?? Wireless G can handle most internet speeds..

Again give us something to WORK WITH!!!