Calling back to follow up on a job application...

Hey there people! I am currently in search of a job. (my first job in fact) and I applied to a bunch of places last week, but they were all online applications. So I want to call back and ask if they got a chance to look at it or if they even received it. Problem is I don't know who to talk to! Do I just ask who ever picks up the phone? Or should I ask to speak with the manager or something?

It depends on where you applied. If it's a retail job (as most online applications are), call the store and ask to speak to HR or the manager on duty. It's best to wait 2-3 days after application to call. They need time to process all the applications coming in. Don't forget everyone and their sister is unemployed right now, so they're most likely getting a boatload of applications. Calling will put you ahead of everyone who didn't call, but like I said, give it a few days. I've got a lot of experience working retail (as do a lot of people on here), so don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

It depends on where you applied. If it's a retail job (as most online applications are), call the store and ask to speak to HR or the manager on duty. It's best to wait 2-3 days after application to call. They need time to process all the applications coming in. Don't forget everyone and their sister is unemployed right now, so they're most likely getting a boatload of applications. Calling will put you ahead of everyone who didn't call, but like I said, give it a few days. I've got a lot of experience working retail (as do a lot of people on here), so don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

Thank you very much! It is this kind of help that could have helped me out greatly when I first started looking. I applied to many of the places just this past Monday and Tuesday. I was thinking about waiting until Sunday or Monday. And yeah you were right, all the places I've applied to are retail stores. So what exactly should I say when I call them back? Should I tell them what times I would be free if they needed to call me back, or schedule an interview or something?

And speaking of interviews, I had one with K-Mart last month, but for whatever reason the HR woman pretty much refused to make any contact with me. But on to the question, it IS important to dress up for an interview, right? No matter what position you are applying for? I personally think so, but many people who I talk with always say that for retail jobs and cashier positions it doesn't really matter. Weird, huh? Also when you do go for an interview, do they always schedule a second interview? Or will they sometimes hire you on the spot?

Thank you very much! It is this kind of help that could have helped me out greatly when I first started looking. I applied to many of the places just this past Monday and Tuesday. I was thinking about waiting until Sunday or Monday. And yeah you were right, all the places I've applied to are retail stores. So what exactly should I say when I call them back? Should I tell them what times I would be free if they needed to call me back, or schedule an interview or something?

And speaking of interviews, I had one with K-Mart last month, but for whatever reason the HR woman pretty much refused to make any contact with me. But on to the question, it IS important to dress up for an interview, right? No matter what position you are applying for? I personally think so, but many people who I talk with always say that for retail jobs and cashier positions it doesn't really matter. Weird, huh? Also when you do go for an interview, do they always schedule a second interview? Or will they sometimes hire you on the spot?

I've heard it's always a good idea to overdress for the position - not going full-blown tuxedo or anything, mind you, but definitely something nice. If your interview goes well, they may schedule a second interview there, they may not. I was personally hired after the first interview, but it was for a blue collar job.

When you call them back and get to the person in charge of hiring, just ask something like "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening, my name is x and I'm calling in regards to the application I submitted on y date, and am wondering if you've selected candidates yet." It's professional, gets to the point, and gets the information you need. If they say they're still processing them, thank them for their time give it another 3 or 4 days and try again.

As far as attire goes, it depends on the position. If it's anything professional, you'll most likely want to wear a suit. Another option is to visit the building the office is in and see what people entering/leaving are wearing, and dress accordingly. For a retail job, a shirt and tie will work fine. I've seen a lot of people just wear khaki pants and a polo to a retail interview. You'll get bonus points for the tie.

Interviews really depend on the company/store. I've never had a second interview for a retail job. It was either "we'll call you in a few days after we interview more people" or "welcome to the team." If they say they'll call you, don't count on it. Give them 3-5 days to interview more people, and then give them a call to see if they've made a decision yet.

Second interviews, if/when they happen, are usually less about you and more about your relationship with the company. You'll work out a schedule, pay, and other paperwork.

i wouldn't call them at all. they are getting soo many applications anyways. if your resume sticks out im sure they will be in touch.

All the more reason to call. If they have many applicants you want to stand out. A good resume certainly helps, but talking to the person doing the hiring makes you a person rather than just a piece of faceless paper. Don't be a pain, but show your interest.

When you call them back and get to the person in charge of hiring, just ask something like "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening, my name is x and I'm calling in regards to the application I submitted on y date, and am wondering if you've selected candidates yet." It's professional, gets to the point, and gets the information you need. If they say they're still processing them, thank them for their time give it another 3 or 4 days and try again.

As far as attire goes, it depends on the position. If it's anything professional, you'll most likely want to wear a suit. Another option is to visit the building the office is in and see what people entering/leaving are wearing, and dress accordingly. For a retail job, a shirt and tie will work fine. I've seen a lot of people just wear khaki pants and a polo to a retail interview. You'll get bonus points for the tie.

Interviews really depend on the company/store. I've never had a second interview for a retail job. It was either "we'll call you in a few days after we interview more people" or "welcome to the team." If they say they'll call you, don't count on it. Give them 3-5 days to interview more people, and then give them a call to see if they've made a decision yet.

Second interviews, if/when they happen, are usually less about you and more about your relationship with the company. You'll work out a schedule, pay, and other paperwork.

I see, thanks, I'll make sure to do as you said. It's been a week since I've applied now, so I think I'm gunna give some stores a call later today. I'll be sure to post back letting you guys know how it went. Thanks again!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see, thanks, I'll make sure to do as you said. It's been a week since I've applied now, so I think I'm gunna give some stores a call later today. I'll be sure to post back letting you guys know how it went. Thanks again!

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Job application

Best regards.

i wouldn't call them at all. they are getting soo many applications anyways. if your resume sticks out im sure they will be in touch.

All the more reason to call. If they have many applicants you want to stand out. A good resume certainly helps, but talking to the person doing the hiring makes you a person rather than just a piece of faceless paper. Don't be a pain, but show your interest.

I have to agree. It's generally a good idea to call a couple of days after submitting an application, not only to find out the progress for yourself, but also to show them that you're interested enough in this position to pursue it a step further than just submitting an application online.

I've also heard, recently, that it's a good idea to call as a followup the day after (or a few days after) your interview--if they haven't turned you down on the spot, of course--to thank them for the opportunity and even to find out more about where they are in the process. I, personally, would feel like I'm being a little overly aggressive, but apparently a lot of employers are impressed by this. I've also heard that sending a thank-you note is appropriate. Also, if you know they're going to be making a decision by such-and-such date (it's a good idea to ask them, in the interview, when they might let you know whether you got the job or not), and you haven't heard back from them by that date, it's a good idea to call and ask them if they'd come to a decision yet, or where they are in the hiring process. All of this should be done with tact, of course. And there are a ton of resources on the internet with ideas and suggestions for approaching your interviewers before, during, and after the process.

Just waiting around to see if your resume stuck out, and if they'll "be in touch" could definitely be a reason for not getting a job. Though, I suppose, in some cases, the same could be said about pursuing a little too aggressively. But in my experience, calling the potential employer at certain times is a good thing to do.

Also, good luck to you! I hope you land something good. :)