MS: Kinect will sell excess of 3 Million this Christmas

Microsoft has boldly claimed Xbox 360 motion-sensing add-on Kinect will sell three million units before the year is up. "Our key indicators are feedback from retailers - I think you'd be surprised at how sophisticated they are, and they really have the pulse of the market. They're looking at preorders, they're talking to customers," Microsoft mouthpiece Aaron Greenberg told Gamasutra at the Tokyo Game Show.

"We've also done our own research. We believe this will be the biggest launch in our history, for Xbox. We will sell more Kinect sensors than we did [systems] at Xbox 360 launch. "Our estimates that we will sell in excess of three million units this holiday." Despite the confident sales prediction, the Xbox product director warned that most games will remain controller based.

"The core of our business is blockbuster games, and that will not change. We see this as additive." Greenberg also repeated Microsoft's mantra that the 360 has another five years of life left in it. "We think we have another good five years-plus, but that remains to be seen - but easily there's another five years' life. "What [Kinect] enables us to do is to keep things fresh, enable developers to bring new IP to the market, and enables people to have new experience."

Kinect's due out on 10th November and costs ?130. Earlier this month Microsoft announced a ?300 Kinect console bundle for the UK.

My link

Considering the ripoff price, I'd be surprised if it sells just a tenth of that this Christmas.

How is it a ripoff price ?

quote me the price of 4 move controllers and an eye toy camera again ? :p

It's a fair price for some excellent hardware.

It could be it's own console really, so ?130 isn't bad. If you wondering between xbox and wii, the bundle deal works out not bad, if your a current xbox owner, whole new console for ?130.

And it does voice recognition.

Seems to me like a conservative estimate, considering they're going to be marketing the hell out of the Xbox 360/Kinect bundle for the holiday, on top of the 40 million+ people that own 360's already. Microsoft really only needs 7% of those people to want Kinect badly enough to get it when it comes out to meet this goal.

About £130? :p

Starter bundle £40

Move controller 3 x £30

In fairness to both systems if you want to say that the Move needs the Navi it doesn't as you can use the DS3. If you start claiming that then it also looks like the Kinect might need a controller in some games too.

I think either company even thinking about those figures is in for a shock tbh. Would like to be surprised by it though.

And it does voice recognition.

As does the PS Eye been doing it for ages whistle.gif

I believe it's different as far as I know the Eye just provides the Mic, the voice recognition needs to be added buy the game devloper if he wants it.

The kinect comes with a fully fledged out Voice rec API. the game just needs to plug into this like it would plug into the controller.

So a full 2 player move setupi will cost the same, and when you have multiple players, you can to switch controllers instead of just stepping into view ? :p

Most games using controllers will be shooters though, you just head and upper body tracking for, zoom(lean forward,back), lean(lean sideways), iron sight(tilt head) look around without moving the sight, or to precision adjust the sight, and look around in car games (head tracking)

This game I could see you standing up in though, as it'd allow a lot of extra control in the form of torso twist and such things. I'd also expect on screen buttons for all the useless buttons on the original came like openign the canopy, startign engines, eject and a whole lot of other fucntion are unecessary to have on the controller when you can have them on screen and use kinect.

I believe it's different as far as I know the Eye just provides the Mic, the voice recognition needs to be added buy the game devloper if he wants it.

The kinect comes with a fully fledged out Voice rec API. the game just needs to plug into this like it would plug into the controller.

True, but it's there. Endwar I believe used it.

]So a full 2 player move setupi will cost the same, and when you have multiple players, you can to switch controllers instead of just stepping into view ? :p

Not really a 2 player setup for 'most' games will probably cost ?70 (Starter + Extra) and for those that require both units you can use the DS3 instead of the Navi controller.

Most games using controllers will be shooters though, you just head and upper body tracking for, zoom(lean forward,back), lean(lean sideways), iron sight(tilt head) look around without moving the sight, or to precision adjust the sight, and look around in car games (head tracking)

This game I could see you standing up in though, as it'd allow a lot of extra control in the form of torso twist and such things. I'd also expect on screen buttons for all the useless buttons on the original came like openign the canopy, startign engines, eject and a whole lot of other fucntion are unecessary to have on the controller when you can have them on screen and use kinect.

Will be interesting as to how precise the developers want movements though, say someone calls to you and you react to that by moving your head, all of a sudden you enter ironsight or something? I don't think they will use that much movement for different functions in honesty.

I can see where Kinect has the advantage over Move with the body mapping and wouldn't mind seeing how the EA Active works with it. Things like exercise games i think will benefit from Kinect greatly, but other than party games I do feel that Move has the edge with the precision. Just my take on things.

how would it interpret turning your head (head tracking) as tilting. that's two entirely different movements.

and trust me, it knows the difference :p and yes, endwar had voice rec on the 360 too, and it's not comparable at all. a small set of pre-programmed voice commands, compared to a microphone who actively adjust for room noice to get clear reception, and has built in API for both direct commands and for word for word recognition. and in multiple languages, with the end goal being to cover the majority of the words languages where the console is released . so you could say "open Map" in English, Norwegian, Spanish, French... or whatever language yoru xbox is set to, and the API would give the same open map command to the game. That's pretty damn leet if you ask me.

Considering the ripoff price, I'd be surprised if it sells just a tenth of that this Christmas.

I could see the price dropping before christmas .. maybe that is what they are planning

My, there PR people can talk some crap :laugh:

That is how corporations roll man laugh.gif

Agreed, it's overpriced. Should have been $99 at most IMO to get those kind of sales. Then again, Move for 2 or more players is even more of a rip off. That should have been even less. I assume Move will probably do worse.

Starter bundle £40

Move controller 3 x £30

In the USA its $100 for Starter bundle and $50 for one Move controller (which won't play all Move games). $150. Kinect is $150, and works with all Kinect and Kinect enabled games for 2-6 people.

That said, I don't think either are going to sell well. Based one what I have been reading, there wasn't a big "Move"ment at stores yesterday to get it.

I really hope these forums don't become console wars all over again over bloody motion controllers. Any topic that mention sales of one device automatically gets bombarded with prices/sales of the other pinch.gif

That being said I believe 3 million is do-able. However that quote about outselling the iPad had to be the most retarded thing I've heard come out of PR for a device in a while.

I really hope these forums don't become console wars all over again over bloody motion controllers. Any topic that mention sales of one device automatically gets bombarded with prices/sales of the other pinch.gif

That being said I believe 3 million is do-able. However that quote about outselling the iPad had to be the most retarded thing I've heard come out of PR for a device in a while.

Dont be surprised! The iPad statement comes from a guy who likes to wear "shades" all the time! It's cool man (and retarded). wacko.gif

Why wouldn't their be motion wars on forums? There are console wars, game wars, resolution wars, online service wars, points vs. dollars wars, controller wars, frames per second wars, price wars, reliability wars. It's only fitting to start Motion Wars I, right here, right now. devil.gif

Too late -- I think you reignited the all-out console wars with the Valve topic :p

I'm sure when MS talks numbers they have some sense and data they've collected to back up their estimates. Besides, retail could do specials on the camera alone and drop the price down to $100 which is probably the sweet spot for something like this. Anything under that is a huge deal for what you're getting out of it.

Also if the games out of TGS live up to their pretty trailers and have some very fun gameplay going with kinect, then 3 million is the low end of the sales forcast imo.