Windows Live Messenger 2011 - Reduced features and functionality.

Question

Why are usefull and important features removed for no good reason. The idea of a new version ought to be to increase utility and control, not reduce it. Why has Microsoft removed features under 'Privacy'? Specifically I am referring to the page where one could view the list of blocked contacts and also the one's who are allowed to contact you. Even more importantly where is the page where you could see the list of people who have you added to their contact list? I am presuming these have been removed for I certainly cannot find them.

The idea of 'blocked contacts' has been removed (as far as I am aware) and you now 'appear offline to' contacts you don't wish to speak to. The best way to monitor this could be to appear offline to a contact and then delete it; that way, you'd know that contact will never see you online again.

I agree there could be better management of the 'appear offline to' feature, like there used to be for the 'blocked contacts' feature, but you must understand they are different features and the reason you don't see those options anymore is because they were related to that old feature which has been removed.

Blocking a person has not been removed but renamed. also it no loger shows up in your options menu but in your main list menu as I marked out

also ever thing has inthory been intreated into live.com profile so u cna ealsy mange user fomr Windows Live Messager to windows Live mail, this also alowes u to sync to a windows phone. useing windows Live Mail your able to export your entire Contact list to contact cards or a single contact import file.

as u can see in my windows mail contact photo you can easly add and modifie windows live connects with out even needing to use the add person on windows Live messager it self..OR even have windows Live messager running at the time of adding a new contect.

post-342470-12859996827264.jpg

post-342470-12859996935386.jpg

post-342470-12860001071021.jpg

Welcome to the Vista-era. All software released by Microsoft since Windows Vista except IE7/IE8 has added some features and removed some features. Every new versions removes some, adds some. Yet Windows 7 fanboys can't tolerate anyone staying on XP.

No features have been removed. Either they have been improved or have been replaced with a much better solution (e.g. the replacement of the Up button in XP with the Breadcrumb bar of Vista/7).

I'm loving Windows Live Essentials so far. Especially enjoying the fact that there's no XP version.

Welcome to the Vista-era. All software released by Microsoft since Windows Vista except IE7/IE8 has added some features and removed some features. Every new versions removes some, adds some. Yet Windows 7 fanboys can't tolerate anyone staying on XP.

There's no point in keeping useless, annoying features.

If Windows Explorer, currently, looked like it did in Windows XP, I'd have moved to Mac OS X by now...This is especially true if the Taskbar still displayed text labels and there was no way to remove them.

[...] Especially enjoying the fact that there's no XP version.

:laugh: (Y)

Okay if you say so, you can keep denying the truth. laugh.gif Whatever you say. Really. Nothing has been removed.

This is especially true if the Taskbar still displayed text labels and there was no way to remove them.

The text labels can be turned off in XP too if you know how to (hint: registry tweak). The Windows 7 taskbar introduces nothing new over the old taskbar, only does things differently and using different name. Jump lists take the place of context menu. Pinning replaces quick launch. Even Aero Snap is an inferior version of selecting any number of windows you wanted in XP using Ctrl+click on the taskbar and cascading/tiling them. If anything, the taskbar takes away functionality. Thumbnails may be new but they so tiny I can't recognize the windows by looking at them.

There's no point in keeping useless, annoying features.

You mean you don't like seeing your contact list full of names like ???.???`?)?,.-~*????`*?~-.?-(_IAMSOAWESOOOOOME!!!111???(???`?.??׸.???`?.?><((((?>?

You're such a total square - oh wait, not everyone is a pubescent girl who wants a contact list full of ponies and stars.

The Windows 7 taskbar introduces nothing new over the old taskbar, only does things differently and using different name.

Yeh ok.

Jump lists take the place of context menu.

Really? Funny how I never saw context menus that allowed me to quick open a favorite website, or change my status or quick open folder that I want, or allow websites to make changes to it via a metatag (ie9). Odd.

Even Aero Snap is an inferior version of selecting any number of windows you wanted in XP using Ctrl+click on the taskbar and cascading/tiling them.

/facepalm.

If anything, the taskbar takes away functionality. Thumbnails may be new but they so tiny I can't recognize the windows by looking at them.

Either you must have a ridiculously large resolution on a ridiculously small screen, or you must be completely blind. I have a 1920x1200 on a 17in and I can make out the windows... Or you know get a program that can tweak it? Funny how you mentioned that you can remove the text from the programs on the Windows xp taskbar using a regedit / tweak...but you didn't mention that you can also make a **** ton of changes to the Win7 taskbar in a similar fashion.

What a stupid idea to rename the Block feature, all these years of conditioning kids to "Block" people who they don't know or should not be talking to, and now they may not realise that the feature has been renamed and think that they are unable to block them. It's like changing the big red Panic Button to a small white button out of the way.

What a stupid idea to rename the Block feature, all these years of conditioning kids to "Block" people who they don't know or should not be talking to, and now they may not realise that the feature has been renamed and think that they are unable to block them. It's like changing the big red Panic Button to a small white button out of the way.

Well to be fair there really is no reason for a block feature anymore. Do one of the following:

- Don't add people you don't know to your MSN, if you're worried about ****.

- Change your privacy settings

- Delete them from your contact list

So if you permanently want to block someone for w/e reason, just delete them from your list. If you want to temporarily block them, select "appear offline to this person"

---

What I do find funny is...if Microsoft adds new features people call it bloat and complain about it (just saying, not directed at anyone in this thread). On the other hand, if Microsoft removes features people get all upset it :wacko:

Yeh ok.

Really? Funny how I never saw context menus that allowed me to quick open a favorite website, or change my status or quick open folder that I want, or allow websites to make changes to it via a metatag (ie9). Odd.

/facepalm.

Either you must have a ridiculously large resolution on a ridiculously small screen, or you must be completely blind. I have a 1920x1200 on a 17in and I can make out the windows... Or you know get a program that can tweak it? Funny how you mentioned that you can remove the text from the programs on the Windows xp taskbar using a regedit / tweak...but you didn't mention that you can also make a **** ton of changes to the Win7 taskbar in a similar fashion.

Don't fall for it. Excepting one where he's showed me a useful explorer tool, tuxplorer has shown time and time again that he doesn't like change and all he does is moan about what feature have been removed from what. His stance is basically that anything that doesn't do something in the same way as the software before it is terrible. I mean, just look at his sig, I'm not sure what he's trying to prove, but it gets to be almost entertaining to read his posts. In fact, upon seeing the title of this thread, I half-expected that this thread was started by him.

There's difference between "change" and "loss/removal". Just today I discovered most of the beautiful slideshow themes from WLPG such as Album, Collage, Glass, Spin, Frame, Stack are gone. Now there's only Pan and Zoom, Sepia, Contemporary (new), Cinematic and Black and White (most of them are the same as Pan and Zoom). Can you give me a good enough REASON WHY loss of functionality should be considered progress and why one should just adapt to change? Change should not be for sake of it. Don't get me wrong. I am not against change. I am against mindless removal of software features. IE9 is another example. The page loading progress bar is gone from this ****!:no: As long as changes don't affect the features you use, you won't mind. The day they pull something you use, you will feel the same and complain. Microsoft is the only company that makes it products both more useful and less useful over time by adding/subtracting features. They are constantly fiddling with the GUI. Software can evolve and grow thru a stable GUI too (the way did from Windows 95 to Windows XP). You don't NEED to do disruptive changes.

There's difference between "change" and "loss/removal". Just today I discovered most of the beautiful slideshow themes from WLPG such as Album, Collage, Glass, Spin, Frame, Stack are gone. Now there's only Pan and Zoom, Sepia, Contemporary (new), Cinematic and Black and White (most of them are the same as Pan and Zoom). Can you give me a good enough REASON WHY loss of functionality should be considered progress and why one should just adapt to change? Change should not be for sake of it. Don't get me wrong. I am not against change. I am against mindless removal of software features. IE9 is another example. The page loading progress bar is gone from this ****!:no: As long as changes don't affect the features you use, you won't mind. The day they pull something you use, you will feel the same and complain. Microsoft is the only company that makes it products both more useful and less useful over time by adding/subtracting features.

Like I said above..

What I do find funny is...if Microsoft adds new features people call it bloat and complain about it (just saying, not directed at anyone in this thread). On the other hand, if Microsoft removes features people get all upset it

No matter what they do people will always find a reason to complain. And that pretty much applies to every single thing / company / product out there.

I disagree. 'Appear offline to' makes much more sense, especially because that's what the features does. If people don't understand it has been changed, they need to look around and learn. I'm sick of hearing that software designers and engineers should be limited in how they develop their applications just because some of the 'average users' are too ignorant to want to learn how to use software.

To anyone who's installed this: Can one person send webcam without the other having to do the same? I heard this feature was removed in the beta.

You mean you don't like seeing your contact list full of names like ???.???`?)?,.-~*????`*?~-.?-(_IAMSOAWESOOOOO ME!!!111???(???`?.??׸.???`?.?><((((?>?

You're such a total square - oh wait, not everyone is a pubescent girl who wants a contact list full of ponies and stars.

I'm glad the ability to change the Windows Live display name with crap like that and are finally forced to use the "Share somthing new" instead, long over due.

I'm glad the ability to change the Windows Live display name with crap like that and are finally forced to use the "Share somthing new" instead, long over due.

I completely agree. To those stating "you could easily change their names yourself; it's nice to have the option:" Yes, it's nice to have the option, but the option was used incorrectly - the correct option to use for sharing something is the 'Share something new' box, not the display name box.

The page loading progress bar is gone from this ****!

Hmm no its not! do u even look at what your useing for posting? Since you did miss it. here what u missed

look what I outlined.. oh its there.

To anyone who's installed this: Can one person send webcam without the other having to do the same? I heard this feature was removed in the beta.

yes in thory u can view or have a web cam call if if the other pairt dose not have a cam .

post-342470-12860467384887.jpg

You mean you don't like seeing your contact list full of names like ???.???`?)?,.-~*????`*?~-.?-(_IAMSOAWESOOOOOME!!!111???(???`?.??׸.???`?.?><((((?>?

i use msn to keep in contact with video game buddies when not in game. we all know each other by our game names, not our irl names. so when i am forced to upgrade to the wlm i will suddenly have a bunch of people on my contact list who i have no idea who they are because it will use their irl names instead of their game names.

i don't necessarily want to use my irl name on the internet, even if i want to chat with a person on msn.

i don't have any 12 year olds or soccer moms on my contact list with obnoxious handles like that anyway.

as it is the "old" version of wlm annoys me that it would let me keep a single letter in my display name.

i should be allowed to put w/e i want. and if it's annoying to other people on my contact list they can block me or tell me so.

i use msn to keep in contact with video game buddies when not in game. we all know each other by our game names, not our irl names. so when i am forced to upgrade to the wlm i will suddenly have a bunch of people on my contact list who i have no idea who they are because it will use their irl names instead of their game names.

i don't necessarily want to use my irl name on the internet, even if i want to chat with a person on msn.

i don't have any 12 year olds or soccer moms on my contact list with obnoxious handles like that anyway.

as it is the "old" version of wlm annoys me that it would let me keep a single letter in my display name.

i should be allowed to put w/e i want. and if it's annoying to other people on my contact list they can block me or tell me so.

I perosnly jsut rename them to my like anywazsa so that even if they change it them selfs it never changes on my list. You cna easy change other peoples name useing windows Live Mail + contacts, or go into live.com, fined your contacts and edit there profile there... what you edit in ether case will show up in windows Live Messanger.

as u can see in my mockup shot that I used a email adress for there real name. and under nickname I used something eles.. as u see the name that shows is the nickname... this will show up in WLM as there nick name even if the other people change it the nickname will still be used as defult on WLM

post-342470-12860478822068.jpg

No features have been removed. Either they have been improved or have been replaced with a much better solution (e.g. the replacement of the Up button in XP with the Breadcrumb bar of Vista/7).

I'm loving Windows Live Essentials so far. Especially enjoying the fact that there's no XP version.

What about the one-way webcam 'feature'? That was removed! Pausing your audio and video in a Video call is NOT the same.

I'd want back the ability to have a one-way webcam as a feature not as a workaround. Why they removed it is beyond me.

Too right. Until this is resolved, I'm sticking with WLM9 14.0.8089.726.

Too right. Until this is resolved, I'm sticking with WLM9 14.0.8089.726.

I want to go back to that version. Where can I download it? I am looking all around and only can find the newest version. TIA

I want to go back to that version. Where can I download it? I am looking all around and only can find the newest version. TIA

Here you go: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/900970-where-to-find-the-wlm-2009-1408089-standalone-installer/. I've had the annoyance for nearly 6 months so far.