How do you close an application on the new iPod Touch 4g

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 October 2010 - 20:52

Just got the new iPod touch 4g with the new iOS 4.1 firmware.

I just have one question. How in gods name do you close an application? I know if you press the home button twice it shows you the running applications and you can shut them down one by one. But When I'm in a multitasking application and I'm done I just want to tell it " I don't want your ass running in the back ground, so just close, as in don't be running anymore.".

All I want is just an X in the corner, or a button that says "Exit". I feel sorry for all the people that don't know about the multitasking aspect of the touch. They could easily accumulate 20 applications running in the background sucking down battery power.

Say i'm playing angry birds and i'm done. Now I want to check my email. So far the only way I can close angry birds is by hitting the home button, then bring up the list of running and past run applications and holding my finger down then hitting the - next to angry birds. If that is in fact the only way to do it, that's retarded.

#2 MrWatchDawg

MrWatchDawg

Tech-Critician

Posted 05 October 2010 - 20:57

sadly that is the only way

#3 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 05 October 2010 - 21:09

Just got the new iPod touch 4g with the new iOS 4.1 firmware.

I just have one question. How in gods name do you close an application? I know if you press the home button twice it shows you the running applications and you can shut them down one by one. But When I'm in a multitasking application and I'm done I just want to tell it " I don't want your ass running in the back ground, so just close, as in don't be running anymore.".

All I want is just an X in the corner, or a button that says "Exit". I feel sorry for all the people that don't know about the multitasking aspect of the touch. They could easily accumulate 20 applications running in the background sucking down battery power.

Say i'm playing angry birds and i'm done. Now I want to check my email. So far the only way I can close angry birds is by hitting the home button, then bring up the list of running and past run applications and holding my finger down then hitting the - next to angry birds. If that is in fact the only way to do it, that's retarded.

People always say multitasking sucks down battery making it sound like it's gonna kill your battery in 10mins. The fact that once an app is in the background it just enters a paused state and it's no longer using less than 1% of the normal battery usage.*

Anyways, as for closing apps, i don't even think there's a jailbreak option to close apps easier. Apple (and Google and Microsoft back in WM days) rather you allow the OS to manage apps. I agree Angry Birds need to be shut down however! On Android devices when you exit Angry Birds it actually shuts down however, not pause.

#4 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 05 October 2010 - 21:12

They could easily accumulate 20 applications running in the background sucking down battery power.

Thankfully the device doesn't manage it's running apps as poorly as you seem to imagine.

#5 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 05 October 2010 - 21:13

Thankfully the device doesn't manage it's running apps as poorly as you seem to imagine.

True, but it's just the principle of the thing.

#6 LightShadow

LightShadow

>Metro<

Posted 05 October 2010 - 21:14

It does not suck battery as said already, but if you want to jailbreak and it is released for 4.1/4.2 then you can get all different methods. One is a quick app from Cydia that you can set to any action (Like taping the clock) and closes all applications. Or there is likely a setting for SBsettings too.

#7 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 05 October 2010 - 21:17

but it's just the principle of the thing.

What principle is that?

Multitasking is a feature of most OSs, and there's a very easy way to close apps. And for those who don't know how to, they probably don't need to.

#8 obs0lete

obs0lete

man is obsolete

Posted 05 October 2010 - 21:21

You would need to jailbreak and install, for example, Remove Recents which will automatically remove the app from the multitasking area once you close it. This + Backgrounder is how I have my iPhone setup so that I can choose what app(s) I want running in the background.

#9 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 05 October 2010 - 21:35

I feel that really the multitasking is fine mostly. Apps are generally NOT RUNNING in the background, they are in a stored state. But yes maybe a blacklist would be of use.

#10 ViZioN

ViZioN

Resident Scotsman

Posted 05 October 2010 - 21:38

I've wondered the exact same thing since I've got my new iPod. I didn't dive too deep trying to find a solution though, but if it's not draining the battery I don't mind too much.

#11 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 05 October 2010 - 21:40

Oh and how you do refresh a page on safari

#12 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 October 2010 - 19:01

Oh and how you do refresh a page on safari

There's an icon in the address bar...?

#13 Tech Star

Tech Star

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 October 2010 - 19:03

Don't know why but I laughed a bit when I read this. :laugh:

#14 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 07 October 2010 - 19:32

I did see that on a website but I couldn't find that same refresh button on the neowin page.

#15 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 October 2010 - 19:36

Apps that are written for ios4 are not running in the background. Apps like newsday which arent still run .