http://www.pendrivel...ot-usb-creator/

-andy-

#18 BlueToast

BlueToast

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 17:56

Windows 8 does not work with this.

I installed a brand new SSD into a workstation with Windows 7 already installed.

I initialized the SSD as MBR.

I created the first volume 4GB capacity formatted NTFS; assigned drive letter W.

I created the second volume 4GB capacity formatted NTFS; assigned drive letter X.

I created the third volume 20GB capacity formatted NTFS and named "Tools"; assigned drive letter Y.

I copied all my ISOs to the third volume (drive letter Y).

I mounted the Windows 7 Professional ISO with Daemon Tools, and copied and pasted everything in the virtual drive into the root of W:.

I unmounted the Windows 7 Professional ISO and then mounted the Windows 8 ISO, and copied and pasted everything in the virtual drive into the root of X:.

I unmounted the WIndows 8 ISO.

I launch EasyBCD 2.2 --> BCD Deployment --> select the partitioned identified as drive letter W --> click on "Install BCD" button. A moment later it asks if I want to edit it and I click on Yes.

The Edit Boot Menu list is empty, so I go to Add New Entry --> WinPE. I leave the Type set to its default of "WIM Image (Ramdisk)", type in "Microsoft Windows 7" for the Name, for Path I browse it to W:\sources\boot.wim, and I click on the Add Entry button. A few moments later the bottom-left corner of EasyBCD displays a message that it was added successfully.

I do this again. I am in Add New Entry --> WinPE with Type set to "WIM Image (Ramdisk)", Name now changed and set to "Microsoft Windows 8", for the path I browse it to "X:\sources\boot.wim", and I click on the Add Entry button. It gives me a pop-up asking me if I am sure because this is a different drive, and I hit Yes. A few moments later the bottom-left corner of EasyBCD displays a message that it was added successfully.

I save the EasyBCD configuration to the third volume (drive letter Y) just in case I need to edit this again. I reboot and use the Boot Menu key F9, and select the SSD that is plugged into SATA4 in my computer. I select Windows 8 from the list instead of Windows 7, hit ENTER, and wait for it to enter setup. Once it loads and enters, I see that it is Windows 7 and not Winodws 8 setup.

I have repeated these steps multiple times and have even tried adding the Windows 8 ISO as a straight ISO-boot from the third volume and trying "Extracted Filesystem Layout" from WinPE. Neither of these work, and it gives an error when trying to boot it using Extracted Filesystem Layout (not booting into the EasyBCD boot menu, but when I select the Windows 8 EFL entry and hit ENTER). I am unable to get this working so that I can chose to boot the Windows 8 ISO if I need to use it. I have no problems booting to other ISOs such as Memtest86+ or Windows 7; I know it works and that I'm doing it correctly as far as everything-not-Windows-8 goes. I have tested this in a completely different system as well using a USB hard drive docking station and was successful with everything except, again, Windows 8.

Please help! How do I make it so I can boot the Windows 8 installer with EasyBCD while also having the choice of booting the Windows 7 installer? It always boots into the Windows 7 installer when I try to boot into the Windows 8 installer.

#19 xSuRgEx

xSuRgEx

Neowinian Senior

• 2,698 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 18:15

the reason why this is not working with windows 8 / 8.1 is because the usb disk needs to be set up for UEFI

this might help you with your problem.

http://www.eightforu...te-windows.html

also if your laptop has a hardcoded product key for windows you will need to add your key info to a file on the disk or if you are installing on a laptop that is not your own then you will need to use one of those master product keys that will let you install but not activate.  you can activate after have installed.

#20 BlueToast

BlueToast

Neowinian

• 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 19:00

So do I apply Rufus on the second volume (drive letter X) that has the Windows 8 installation files, or do I apply it to the first volume (drive letter W) followed by installing BCD on it?

the reason why this is not working with windows 8 / 8.1 is because the usb disk needs to be set up for UEFI

this might help you with your problem.

http://www.eightforu...te-windows.html

also if your laptop has a hardcoded product key for windows you will need to add your key info to a file on the disk or if you are installing on a laptop that is not your own then you will need to use one of those master product keys that will let you install but not activate.  you can activate after have installed.