What time is it... Really?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 The Visitors

The Visitors

Neowinian

• 162 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:05

Many of you will soon be adjusting your clocks either one hour ahead or one hour back, depending on your location. And I am yet again reminded that no one really knows for sure what year it is.

Arguably the majority of the world recognizes it as the year 2,010 (2010). But this is completely based on the religious belief on when a single "religious being" lived & died. Posted Image But this of course take out of count, the many years before this "believed" being lived or died.

Upon further reflection GMT (Greenwich Mean Time, established since 1884) has been replaced with UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, established since 1972). And it is worth noting that this UTC is based partly with UT (Universal Time), to which there are arguably 6 version of (UT1, UT0, UT1R, UT2, UT2R, UTC).

On top of all this... Not every county in the world adjust their clocks back & forth. Some keep a continued time all year around.

To make up for this lost time, we of course have added the idea of a "leap year" in which every 4 years we add an extra day. But if you do the math, that "leap year" does not fully account for every last second & as time continues to add... Those seconds become minutes, hours, days.... And of course, what about all the years before the calender included a "leap year"....

So what time is it? Posted Image

#2 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,944 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:13

The only thing that is ever certain with respect to time is LAN (local apparent noon).

#3 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,180 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:14

Does it really matters what time it really is, or in what year are we on? Life goes on, without any hitch on my side.

#4 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 3,884 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:15

20:15 here in the UK, 21:15 in Sweden, 04:15 in Beijing :p

#5 TCA

TCA

Neowinian Senior

• 2,953 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3; Nexus 5

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:16

Does it really matters what time it really is, or in what year are we on? Life goes on, without any hitch on my side.

#6 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,281 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:19

Let's have some fun then

According to Judaism the year is 5771

The Christian calendar says it's 2010

And the Muslim calendar says it's 1431 AH

hmmmm, who to believe

I bet just about every major religion has it as a different year, this can be fun :)

*edit*

According to the Hindus it's 3102 BCE

#7 kaborka

kaborka

Neowinian

• 223 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:23

I do software devt for an airline. The schedules are set in local time relative to each airport. Daily operational data are kept in UTC. Dispatchers can flip their displays between local and Zulu as needed. Before .NET 3.5 I had to code all the timezone translations manually. 3.5 introduced the TimeZone class which provided the necessary TZ conversions, but it still lacks a fully TZ-aware DateTime class. I had to write a custom class for that, to encapsulate the conversions and provide code for elapsed time calculations. Major PITA!

#8 Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,351 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:28

Time is a human invention. So question is invalid.

#9 ahmz

ahmz

Ahmad

• 2,391 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:33

It's Hammer Time.

#10 OP The Visitors

The Visitors

Neowinian

• 162 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:36

Time is a human invention. So question is invalid.

I have under good authority, the concept goes back much further :shifty:

#11 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

• 9,026 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:37

Those missed seconds get added into leap seconds and leap minutes. They do micro adjustments every so often.

#12 Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

• 1,351 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:39

I have under good authority, the concept goes back much further :shifty:

Lol no you dont sir.

#13 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• 2,722 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:39

Arguably the majority of the world recognizes it as the year 2,010 (2010). But this is completely based on the religious belief on when a single "religious being" lived & died. Posted Image But this of course take out of count, the many years before this "believed" being lived or died.

Actually, most historians today use C.E. (Common Era) and B.C.E (Before Common Era) for dates. These dates actually aren't based on Jesus birth, since he was actually born (using 'pivotal' dates, that is, dates attested to and confirmed from both Biblical and secular sources) in 2 B.C.E.

Using B.C. ('Before Christ') and A.D. (Anno Domini, Latin for 'Year of the Lord') are really not used anymore since they really aren't historically accurate. As far as Leap Years are concerned, there are other safetys imposed to keep run away leap years from messing us up. If you'll remember, 2000 was a leap year, but 1900 wasn't. Why? Because only years beginning centuries that are equally divisible by 4 are made leap years.

#14 Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Neowinian Senior

• 6,323 posts
  • OS: Win 8.1 Pro, iOS7, OSX 10.7, Ubuntu/WinXP system Died the Good Death

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:41

the only real number should be when the Earth was created, and not when Humans decided to keep count
or since the Big Bang, as Humans are not the center of everything

so about 20GY ( or 80GY )

#15 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• 12,662 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 20:44

Attached Images

• mhrwrlagwfcj.jpg