Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Christmas tree: Real or fake?

145 votes

1. 1. Do you get a real Christmas tree or a fake one?

• Real
    • Fake
    • Fake, but would prefer a real one
    • Neither (don't celebrate, etc.)
  2. 2. How much would a real tree cost where you live (6 foot tree)?

• 0 - 15
    • 15 - 30
    • 30 - 45
    • 45 - 60
    • 60 - 75
    • 75 - 90
    • > 90 (please specify)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

66 posts in this topic

Posted

It's that time of the year again, and the question sparked in my head when I saw the Christmas tree lots getting set up.

So, real, fake, fake but would prefer a real one (real ones to expensive) or neither (don't celebrate, etc.)?

I would never imagine of getting a fake tree. They can cost hundreds of dollars when a real one only costs $10. However, I live in Oregon, the biggest Christmas tree producer in the United States, so they are bound to be cheap.

Edit: Added another poll for how much a real tree costs in your area.

Posted

Oh gawd...
I work at Lowe's (home improvement store)
and I deal with the live trees, Take the off them trucks, trim them for customers, use a chain saw to cut a small piece of the trunk, then put them in netting and take it out to their car.

THIS SUCKS!!!
i picked fake, because I'm tired of smelling like those damn trees and dealing with them, especially when the customer is picky.

The real trees we have are from $20 for a 5-6ft to $120 for 11-12ft.

I don't celebrate xmas, I'm Hindu.

Posted

Fake.

Cheaper in the long run.
No mess.
No smell.
No allergies.

Posted

Real
$20 @ Ikea

Posted

22 years of real trees....sometimes i go to the tree farm and cut it down myself, sometimes i grab one from the shop

now that my ceilings in the addition are tall we can get a 10' tree!!!! :D

Posted

None would be my preference but I guess with my niece and all the family home might have the fake one set up this year.

Posted

Fake / $15

Posted

I was thinking this poll would contain a photo in which we'd have to decide whether the tree depicted was real or fake. You know, to see if we could tell from the bristles and from seeing quite a few chopped trees in our time. Hopes: deflated. :laugh:

Posted

Real here, atleast since I moved in with the girlfriend who doesn't like fake ones.
And you know, putting some arbitrary number without a currency means it won't be a good measure of price seeing as different places can be quite drastically different.

Posted

Real, Love the Smell, Look, Operation of getting / disposing of the tree

Posted

I much prefer real trees. As for costs..free. I just go into the woods ant cut one :D

Posted

We went 'fake' about a decade ago, after my parents realised they couldn't stay [b]tree-murderers[/b] forever.

But we have shoe boxes of pine needles collected the previous year from neighbours. These can be sprinkled around the base of the fake tree after it's been up for a couple of weeks to help promote a more festive atmosphere. :santa:

Posted

We cut out own trees from our property however in the past they usually would cost about $20 for a 7'.

Posted

I selected "None". Not because I dislike Christmas, but unfortunately it is against fire code to have real tree indoors where I live. When I was a child we always had real trees in the house at Christmas time, even when I was living abroad. On principle I refuse to buy a fake tree, plus if I did I have no place to store it when it's no longer the holiday season and having a Christmas tree up in July is just tacky. :p

edit: oh, and a 6ft tree around here would typically cost $35-$50 depending on what type and how full it is.

Posted

Fake. We used to get real ones, but it became too much of a hassle with having to go out and pick a tree, watering it, and picking up needles. Not sure of an exact price, but whenever we used to go out to cut our own trees, I think it cost about $25 or $30.

Posted

I don't buy one. I 'celebrate' Christmas, to an extent, but I don't bother with the tree or decorations. Because of that, I'm not sure what the price would be.

Posted

Fake, US$15 and below. We don't hunt for pine trees like a madman in the Philippines, or even have capabilities to do so.

Posted

fake, only because I can put it in the box and bring it out the next year. As for cost, neither me nor my parents ever bought a real one, so I just guessed at random.

Posted

real, i like picking the tree and it smells awesome when it's up.

Posted

Fake, they're cheaper, last longer, and look nicer.

Posted

If I were to buy one it'd be a real one.

Cost for a 6ft tree here: Around 30

Posted

We've had an artificial tree for as long as I can remember, and it's always been the same one. I think real trees for 6ft are around

Posted

[quote name='qdave' date='28 November 2010 - 01:29' timestamp='1290907791' post='593432820']
I much prefer real trees. As for costs..free. I just go into the woods ant cut one :D
[/quote]

You'd probably be arrested if you did that in the UK :(

Posted

Fake, but would prefer a real one, as we've never had one before. My parents have used the same fake Christmas tree since the late 1980s.

I don't know, but after doing a little bit of searching, I voted for

Posted

Fake, its more about the lights + decorations for me. Had a white tree for last two years.